Rock slide engineering running boards

Dbadkoala

Just got my new JL Rubicon finally. First time owning a jeep so alot of things are new to me. I was looking for a way to to make it easier for my daughter (4 yrs) to get into the jeep while at the same time being able to keep the rock sliders for off roading. I came across these on you tube. Has anyone had any luck with these? Concept is cool but not sure how they will really hold up in real use. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

ocrejects

Just got my new JL Rubicon finally. First time owning a jeep so alot of things are new to me. I was looking for a way to to make it easier for my daughter (4 yrs) to get into the jeep while at the same time being able to keep the rock sliders for off roading. I came across these on you tube. Has anyone had any luck with these? Concept is cool but not sure how they will really hold up in real use. Any ideas? Thanks

Can you provide a weblink so we can Check out what it is you’re talking about

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
That’s crazy expensive, for something that appears to attach to the body, like the factory Rubicon sliders. Yes, it’s better than no protection, but it wouldn’t be up to the abuse a frame mounted slider could take.

Most people need to do some soul searching, and figure out which they need most, a step, or a rock rail.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

I wanted a set for my JKU. It is a great concept. But they are kinda noisy, and problematic. They have a history of the motors going out. The motors are probably not big enough or geared for the weight. I believe they hold up well for a body mount setup. But I decided these are not for me for these reasons.

I will go with another set of quality frame mounted sliders (EVO or LOD)and just wish they had drop down steps.

Deezus

Many people like them and say the perform well but I've seen them on YouTube and don't like the sounds the make, it's motorized for sure but still. I had LOD on my JK and for the price and performance plus they are a step I don't think there's a better deal. They come powder coated as well. Unfortunately there's not a lot of selection for the JL like there is for the JK.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

LauraRose

My husband and I installed these a few months back on my JLUR. Each step slider mounts to the frame in 3 places, and also to the pinch seam in 6 places. I have not had any problems with mine, although I have no intention of "testing" them on rocks, lol! They are just for ease of entry & exit, and they perform exactly as advertised - I like them a lot.20180429_183511.jpeg20180429_183522.jpeg

Laura Rose from PA

klv30907

My husband and I installed these a few months back on my JLUR. Each step slider mounts to the frame in 3 places, and also to the pinch seam in 6 places. I have not had any problems with mine, although I have no intention of "testing" them on rocks, lol! They are just for ease of entry & exit, and they perform exactly as advertised - I like them a lot.View attachment 4568View attachment 4570

Laura Rose from PA

Where did you get them? How was the install electrical wise?

LauraRose

Where did you get them? How was the install electrical wise?

I ordered them right from Rock Slide Engineering. Believe it or not, I did the entire install myself, I just needed my husband's help to lift the step sliders into place until we got two brackets in place on each side. (I'm a 52 year old registered nurse & mom of 5, not a mechanic! But I did spend a lot of time with my dad wrenching on vehicles when I was a teenager - that definitely helped :yup:.)

The wiring wasn't too bad once I got it all laid out. I just read the directions over a few times and took my time. The entire install took me about 8 hours - probably way longer than average, lol. It was helpful to use gorilla tape to secure the wiring harness & circuit board under the carpeting (under the back seat passenger side.) Also, use some heavy weight zip ties to keep the wiring clear of the exhaust after you drop it through the floor by the back seat. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions and post pix when you are done!! :thumb:

Last edited:

BillArnett

My husband and I installed these a few months back on my JLUR. Each step slider mounts to the frame in 3 places, and also to the pinch seam in 6 places. ...

What looks like 3 frame mounts are actually on the body side of the body mounts so it’s really not attached to the frame at all except thru the rubber body isolators.

(Attaching something rigidly to both the body and the frame sounds like a prescription for trouble :)

LauraRose

What looks like 3 frame mounts are actually on the body side of the body mounts so it’s really not attached to the frame at all except thru the rubber body isolators.

(Attaching something rigidly to both the body and the frame sounds like a prescription for trouble :)
I sincerely apologize for the misinformation. Hope it didn't cause anyone difficulty. Thank you for the info Bill.

Laura Rose from PA

OconRecon

My husband and I installed these a few months back on my JLUR. Each step slider mounts to the frame in 3 places, and also to the pinch seam in 6 places. I have not had any problems with mine, although I have no intention of "testing" them on rocks, lol! They are just for ease of entry & exit, and they perform exactly as advertised - I like them a lot.

Laura Rose from PA

Do they come out quickly enough? My wife has them on her Escalade, OEM, and it seems they're always slightly behind my desired pace when I go to get in.

Also, others have complained about the noise they make going in and out? I think this was an older version though.

Lastly, did you do the LED light kit? Worth it and cool?

ChicagoJL

They come out in time.. No problem. They are loud AF though...light kit is worth it....

Live Life, Live Love, LoveSexy...

OconRecon

They come out in time.. No problem. They are loud AF though...light kit is worth it....

Live Life, Live Love, LoveSexy...

Cool cool. Thnx. My local dealer was given a 3-4 week wait time. It's been 2 weeks. Asked him about the light kit and he said "yeah, no doubt you do the light kit". Ha.