JL JOURNAL : How to Run the JL Wrangler Rear End Bumperless

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As much as Cindy and I LOVE the look of the optional steel front bumper that you can get on a Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, I can’t say that we’ve ever been a fan of the rear bumper. In fact, we had been meaning to remove it for quite some time now but decided to leave it on for our recent trip out to Moab and with the hopes that it'd help to protect the body. Unfortunately, what we found is that the bumper actually caused a bit of damage and that was all the more reason why we wanted to get rid of it. Needless to say, in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, will show you just how easy it is to remove your JL Wrangler's factory rear bumper and you’ll even get to see what I did to relocate our rear license plate.
For sure, this budget mod may not be everyone but we’ve always loved the bumperless look on our JK’s and we think it looks just as good on a JL too.

For more information on how how to make your own license plate mount and where to buy lights for it, click on the link below:
WRITE-UP : DIY License Plate Rear Cross Member Relocation Mount

:cool:

BillArnett

Initial cursory inspection says the plastic bumper is about the same. But it's may be more complicated if you have the optional "ParkSense Rear Park Assist System". Do you think one could just unplug them without totally confusing the computer?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the video. Appreciate the info on the license plate attachment and lights... came out pretty good. I ordered plastic fenders on my JLUR and plan to pull the rear as soon as I get it home. Still waiting on LOD Destroyer Shorty.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It looks good like that

I agree. Totally changes the look of the JL :yup:

Initial cursory inspection says the plastic bumper is about the same. But it's may be more complicated if you have the optional "ParkSense Rear Park Assist System". Do you think one could just unplug them without totally confusing the computer?

I don't have park assist and so I couldn't say for sure but I'm pretty sure you can't just unplug it. If I recall, Z Automotive is working on this though.

Great job! I love the look without the bumper. I copied! Lol thanks again Eddie. :beer:

LOL!! Thank you. Your JL looks awesome like this too :D

Great video. :thumb:

Much better option. Too bad you can’t order plastic rear and steel front.

No kidding.

I would absolutely have ordered this way. Love the front, not crazy about the rear. The previous 10a/HR rear looked better.

This shows how easy it is to remove and it looks good without.

Honestly, I was never really a fan of the previous JK HR rear bumper but I will admit, it looked better than the JL steel bumper. :icon_crazy:

those straps are handy!

Would cutting the bolts solve the issue if you wanted to keep the bumpers?

Maybe, but that'd only prevent the damage to the pinch seam. You'd still have the bumper making contact with the body further up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The front bumper can be purchased from Mopar for about $500 less than the cost of the Steel Bumper Group added to sticker.

So, you're saying to just order the front bumper separately and you can save about $500?

Great video, looks like in going to be changing out my bumper in the future

Awesome, glad to know that our video will be of help to you :)

What brand is the 3-step touch up paint kit?

Laura Rose from PA

In the video he mentions automotivetouchup.com

Yup, what Cozdude said. :yup:

Four Flusher

Thanks for the video, I love the look of the "no rear bumper". You mention that you've run no rear bumper on you're JK's, did you need to add corner armor? Necessary?

Also, I've ordered plastic bumpers, after seeing the damage done by your steel one, thank you very much. Wondering if you could get power to the plate without ripping out the wiring from the bumper, so it could be easily returned to stock?

Off to Boise to get my SG JLUR, super excited!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the video, I love the look of the "no rear bumper". You mention that you've run no rear bumper on you're JK's, did you need to add corner armor? Necessary?

My JK's do have quarter panel armor but the base of them - the pinch seams are still exposed. I fully admit that damage could occur there but up until now, it hasn't happened. Needless to say, I'm not too worried about it.

Also, I've ordered plastic bumpers, after seeing the damage done by your steel one, thank you very much. Wondering if you could get power to the plate without ripping out the wiring from the bumper, so it could be easily returned to stock?

Well sure, if you can get your hands on a plug that will hook up to the factory setup, you could always make your own wiring.

That was a helpful video. Have you ever gotten body damage running like this?

Not on either of my JK's. While I suppose it is possible on my JL, it hasn't happened yet. You're way more likely to catch your J-hook, tail pipe and frame rails way before you'd hit your quarter panels.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The front bumper can be purchased from Mopar for about $500 less than the cost of the Steel Bumper Group added to sticker.

So, you're saying to just order the front bumper separately and you can save about $500?

The Steel Bumper Group is a $1295 option. The JL Rubicon front steel bumper is retailing around $867 with endcaps (p/n 82215121AB) and & $803 w/o endcaps (p/n 82215120). So I guess the savings is about $492 if you go w/o the end caps.