JL JOURNAL : How to Run the JL Wrangler Rear End Bumperless

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
What really gets me is that a winch plate/mounting kit is $250 and the small bolt on bull bar/winch/grill guard is $216 (p/n 82215351). By the time everything is added up, I just found it a no-brainer to just go with plastic bumpers and replace with aftermarket (which I knew I was bound to do sooner or later anyways).

I must confess though, the Mopar steel front bumper without the end caps does look pretty cool, and I definitely could not criticize anybody going this route.

NFRs2000NYC

There was a company that I saw had incredibly slim rear bumper/carrier design that I thought looked great and gave the function of running bumperless. It also came with 3 hitches which I thought was useful....if I remember the name i'll chime back in, but it looked like a functional design.

*edit* Found them, it's a ROAM offroad rear bumper/carrier.
http://www.roamoffroad.com/product/roam-jl-tire-carrier-rear-bumper-jeep-wrangler-jl/

Last edited:

BillArnett

Initial cursory inspection says the plastic bumper is about the same. But it's may be more complicated if you have the optional "ParkSense Rear Park Assist System". Do you think one could just unplug them without totally confusing the computer?

I don't have park assist and so I couldn't say for sure but I'm pretty sure you can't just unplug it. If I recall, Z Automotive is working on this though.

I tried just unplugging the connector (which has more wires if you have the park assist). Everything seems OK except that it complains that the system needs service and the light on the ParkSense switch comes on.

The user manual says, "The operation of the rear sensors is automatically deactivated when the trailer’s electric plug is inserted in the vehicle’s tow hook socket". Maybe one could construct a plug just to disable the system. Until Z Automotive figures out a software fix :)

JAGS

You can get a “knock off” steel front bumper that looks just like stock for cheaper than mopar.

At this point, based on everything Eddie’s posted, I’m glad I saved the $1300 not to mention financing the $1300. Not to mention the winch plate and bull bar expenses. [emoji51]

stragler

Bumper Removal

As much as Cindy and I LOVE the look of the optional steel front bumper that you can get on a Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, I can’t say that we’ve ever been a fan of the rear bumper. In fact, we had been meaning to remove it for quite some time now but decided to leave it on for our recent trip out to Moab and with the hopes that it'd help to protect the body. Unfortunately, what we found is that the bumper actually caused a bit of damage and that was all the more reason why we wanted to get rid of it. Needless to say, in this episode of the JL JOURNAL, will show you just how easy it is to remove your JL Wrangler's factory rear bumper and you’ll even get to see what I did to relocate our rear license plate.
For sure, this budget mod may not be everyone but we’ve always loved the bumperless look on our JK’s and we think it looks just as good on a JL too.

For more information on how how to make your own license plate mount and where to buy lights for it, click on the link below:
WRITE-UP : DIY License Plate Rear Cross Member Relocation Mount

:cool:

Nice clean job Eddie thanks for sharing...

CalSgt

Thanks for the video on this, it helped with todays project...

I used a piece of aluminum strap I had laying around for the license plate bracket

IMG_3500.jpg

IMG_3503.jpg