Nitro Rigdegrappler 37’s

Roscoe

Just received my 2018 JL. Dealer installed the new ridgegrappler tires. I ordered 37x12.5x17. They put on 37x13.5x17. Jeep seems to road walk quite a bit. How much difference will the 1 inch in width make?

13_gecko_rubi

Just received my 2018 JL. Dealer installed the new ridgegrappler tires. I ordered 37x12.5x17. They put on 37x13.5x17. Jeep seems to road walk quite a bit. How much difference will the 1 inch in width make?
Well the 12.5s are d rated and the 13.5s are e rated. So not only width but much stiffer too. I'd go back and tell them give u the 12.5s you ordered.

Sent via....

Roscoe

Well the 12.5s are d rated and the 13.5s are e rated. So not only width but much stiffer too. I'd go back and tell them give u the 12.5s you ordered.

Sent via....

Thanks for the info. Dealership is a 7hr drive. Don’t want to make the trek unless I’ll see a significant difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

How much air are you running in your tires? What is your caster set at?

Roscoe

Running the 2inch Mopar lift. Tire pressure was Round 40 lbs. have since lowered to about 32 lbs which has helped. Ride is much better than the Jk I previously owned. Was simply a little surprised at how much these tires grabbed the road and was curious if going to 12.5 from 13.5 would make a measurable difference.

NFRs2000NYC

Even 32 seems high. I run 30-32 for road use on my 315 duratracs, your grapplers should probably be in the 26-28 range for road use.

aug0211

Ok, I've got a related question -

I've currently got Nitto Ridge Grapplers in the shop - 35x12.5r17s, load E. Going to jump up to 37s, though.

Anyone have thoughts on a 12.50 vs 13.50, and whether it's worth jumping from the Ridge Grapplers load E to Open Country load D, if I do decide to go the 13.50 route? Ride comfort, road noise, etc. are factors for me.

Option 1 - 37x12.50r17 Ridge Grappler, load D (thinking 12.50s might look a bit narrow for 37s)
Option 2 - 37x13.50r17 Ridge Grappler, load E (not sure about that E load...)
Option 3 - 37x13.50r17 Open Country, load D (top pick is Ridge Grappler, but how do these compare?)

Practically speaking, I'd guess that the 12.50 is better for me - most of my usage is on-road and off-road is only light usage. Plus, I'm in Ohio so I assume the narrower 12.50 would do better in snow.

BUT..... wider tires look awesome :) And I won't lie and pretend like the looks don't matter to me :)

Also - any other good 37x13.50r17 options to consider? I believe the STT Pros are available in this size with an E rating, but if I were going with the E rating I'd probably just stick with the RGs. So... any other 37x13.50r17s in D load?

Lastly - concerns with mounting 13.50s on an 8.5" wheel with 4.33" backspacing/-10 offset?

13_gecko_rubi

Ok, I've got a related question -

I've currently got Nitto Ridge Grapplers in the shop - 35x12.5r17s, load E. Going to jump up to 37s, though.

Anyone have thoughts on a 12.50 vs 13.50, and whether it's worth jumping from the Ridge Grapplers load E to Open Country load D, if I do decide to go the 13.50 route? Ride comfort, road noise, etc. are factors for me.

Option 1 - 37x12.50r17 Ridge Grappler, load D (thinking 12.50s might look a bit narrow for 37s)
Option 2 - 37x13.50r17 Ridge Grappler, load E (not sure about that E load...)
Option 3 - 37x13.50r17 Open Country, load D (top pick is Ridge Grappler, but how do these compare?)

Practically speaking, I'd guess that the 12.50 is better for me - most of my usage is on-road and off-road is only light usage. Plus, I'm in Ohio so I assume the narrower 12.50 would do better in snow.

BUT..... wider tires look awesome :) And I won't lie and pretend like the looks don't matter to me :)

Also - any other good 37x13.50r17 options to consider? I believe the STT Pros are available in this size with an E rating, but if I were going with the E rating I'd probably just stick with the RGs. So... any other 37x13.50r17s in D load?

Lastly - concerns with mounting 13.50s on an 8.5" wheel with 4.33" backspacing/-10 offset?
Ridge grapplers vs Open Country are a tough compare as one is an aggressive AT vs the Toyo MT. I ran those Toyos and they were load range E not D. I thought the D was the 37x12.5 on the open country also.

I did like the wider tires which is why I got them back then when on 37s. That said I will never buy an E tire for a light Jeep again. I hated the ride. I ran like 20 psi in them just to make it semi ok. My view is it comes down to comfort vs look and that's really your call. I got ridge grapplers for my JL and got the 37x12.5 just to keep a D.

Sent via....

aug0211

Ridge grapplers vs Open Country are a tough compare as one is an aggressive AT vs the Toyo MT. I ran those Toyos and they were load range E not D. I thought the D was the 37x12.5 on the open country also.

I did like the wider tires which is why I got them back then when on 37s. That said I will never buy an E tire for a light Jeep again. I hated the ride. I ran like 20 psi in them just to make it semi ok. My view is it comes down to comfort vs look and that's really your call. I got ridge grapplers for my JL and got the 37x12.5 just to keep a D.

Sent via....

Thanks, gecko! I’m nervous about the E load.

Here are the Open Country ones I’m looking at, looks like they offer 13.50s in load D now.

https://simpletire.com/toyo-37-13.50r17-350670-tires

They’re also marketing these as all-terrains... so I was thinking they’re a comparable tire to the RGs, in terms of class. Is that not correct?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Thanks, gecko! I’m nervous about the E load.

Here are the Open Country ones I’m looking at, looks like they offer 13.50s in load D now.

https://simpletire.com/toyo-37-13.50r17-350670-tires

They’re also marketing these as all-terrains... so I was thinking they’re a comparable tire to the RGs, in terms of class. Is that not correct?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
Oh the open country R/T. My bad I thought u meant M/T. Those and the ridge grapplers came out at same time and its same parent company. I bet they are made in same plant and very similar in every aspect.

Sent via....