Wave from Miami!

prof

Hi All,

Brand new to the Jeep Family. A little backstory about me - I’ve never been much of a “car guy”, but ever since I was a little kid the one car that I did want was a Wrangler. My parents took note and bought a used Cherokee for the family car. I got to drive that around a bit, and though it wasn’t a Wrangler, I loved it. I was lucky enough to marry a girl who always wanted a Wrangler as well. Around 2012 when we bought our first car together, I wanted a Wrangler, she wanted Wrangler, and we ended up with a Hyundai Elantra (sigh). We didn’t have much income, and felt it was the “responsible choice”… it probably was at the time, but that didn’t make us like it any better.

So, after about 30 years of dreaming of a Wrangler, I finally surprised my wife last week with our new JL Sahara. I asked her a few months back to design her perfect car on the build site, and then afterwards told her it just wouldn’t work … I sent her build to the dealership that same week, 😊.

Pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

We’ve had it for about a week and have already put 600 miles on it. It’s so much better than either of us even imagined. Friends and family tried to talk us out of it, warned about wind noise, road noise, not to get a soft top, etc – we wouldn’t know, haven’t driven with the top on it yet.

Thought long and hard about getting a Rubicon, and I totally get the arguments in favor of it. For the price difference, it’s probably a no brainer for most to go that route. The issue is, down here in Miami, I think I’m about 700 miles from anywhere I could really test the additional capabilities of the Rubicon (please correct me if I’m wrong – I’d love to know a place to crawl that’s closer). Here it’s more swamp, mud, dirt, sand, and very wet roads. Since we plan to use it as our daily, we decided to go with the Sahara for the extra MPG + Limited Slip and Selec-trac.

We don’t have many plans to modify it, but after watching Eddie’s videos, I think I’ve built up enough confidence to try to replace the bumper and add a winch. We once sunk a Honda Accord to the floorboards in sand in Ocala National Park. After a few hours of failed attempts to dig it out, we ended up walking 5 miles to flag down a ranger, who SOS’ed on a CB and an old vet in a wrangler was kind enough to pull us out, 😊. I’d like to be able to return the favor someday.

o/