JL JOURNAL : TAZER JL Programmer for JL WRANGLER / INSTALLATION & HOW TO USE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you've just installed a bigger set of tires on your Jeep JL Wrangler and are in need of re-calibrating your speedometer, you can go to your dealership and pay $150 to have it done or you can get a TAZER JL and do it yourself! Made by Z Automotive, the TAZER JL is a super compact programmer that that plugs into your OBDII and works off the screen in the middle of your instrument cluster and the buttons on your steering wheel. Of course, not only will you be able to set your own tire size, there's a ton of other things you can do with it including, changing your gear ratio after installing new gears, turning off your TPMS or changing its threshold and really, so much more. The TAZER JL also has LIVE functions, the ability to still use it while plugged in and options for it include things like, being able to turn off your Auto Start/Stop System and Traction Control. And, as silly as it may sound, it even has fun options like a light show with 6 different modes. The best part about the TAZER JL is that Z Automotive constantly makes firmware updates for it and they can be downloaded using their Program Utility software. With all that said, the following short video will show you just how easy it is to install and use on your Jeep JL Wrangler. We hope you enjoy.

To see a written version of how to install and use the TAZER JL and complete with tons of photos, simply click on the link below:
WRITE-UP : TAZER JL Programmer INSTALLATION & HOW TO USE

WHERE YOU CAN BUY A TAZER JL
Z Automotive TAZER JL
Use Discount Code: jlwf10

Please tell Joe that you heard about the TAZER JL from here :)

TAZER JL OPTIONS
Perf menu:
Adjust for alternate tire sizes up to 41″
Adjust for alternate axle gear ratios
Adjust for an alternate transfer case LO range ratio

TPMS menu:
Disable TPMS system if desired
Change front/rear TPMS warning PSI limit

Radio menu:
Disable Backup camera
Enable Cargo Camera input
Enable CD audio input
Disable TravelLink (weather warnings included)

Lighting Menu:
Change DRL region (type)
Change DRL location
Disable DRL Dropout
Enable Fog lamp output
Disable Fog lamp dropout
Set LED 3rd brake light type
Set LED tail lamp type
Set Trailer Tow output for use with Mopar kit

Other menu:
Enable Aux switch settings on the radio
Enable Blind spot detection

TAZER JL LIVE FEATURES
Live features can only be used only while the TAZER JL is plugged into your JL Wrangler's OBDII port. The following are options that will be available to you.

Light shows: Can be accessed from the key fob or from the on-screen menu. 6 pre-set light shows and 3 make-your-own shows included. Set from the factory to only operate when parked, but can be unlocked for off-road and emergency personnel use.

Disable Navigation in-motion lockout: Enter addresses while the vehicle is moving
Auto Traction Kill: can be set to turn off traction control upon start-up
Auto StopStart Disable: can be set to disable AutoStopStart upon vehicle start-up 0-30 and 0-60 timers
Cooldown mode: run engine fans when Jeep is off, to aid in cooldown

NFRs2000NYC

Great video. Could you elaborate why on the JL, you don’t need to put in the actual size of the tire but rather the stated measurement? Also noticed you put in 37.064 instead of 37.00, why is that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. Could you elaborate why on the JL, you don’t need to put in the actual size of the tire but rather the stated measurement? Also noticed you put in 37.064 instead of 37.00, why is that?

I know, it's totally crazy. What I can tell you is that this is how it's done at the dealership and I have verified by GPS and local speed trap radar that my speedometer is on. In fact, I tried setting the tire size to what it's actual measurement is and my speedometer was OFF.

Regarding the 37.064, I'm not sure what that that's all about but that's the closest option to 37.000 that I could choose. The setting below was something like 36.075. I should also note that the 37.064 is the value I saw as soon as I plugged in my TAZER JL for the first time - essentially, what the dealership put in.

NFRs2000NYC

Got it. Funny, you made removing those harness clips easy, while others are cursing those things 103 ways from Sunday.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Got it. Funny, you made removing those harness clips easy, while others are cursing those things 103 ways from Sunday.

LOL!! Honestly, I was wondering what all the fuss was all about. Seemed pretty easy to me even without removing the kick panel. :crazyeyes:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
LOL!! Honestly, I was wondering what all the fuss was all about. Seemed pretty easy to me even without removing the kick panel. :crazyeyes:

It looks pretty easy, although on my JK, I’ve had that type of connector be very difficult to remove. Once you got them started, they’d come out, but getting them started was a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It looks pretty easy, although on my JK, I’ve had that type of connector be very difficult to remove. Once you got them started, they’d come out, but getting them started was a pain.

I won't lie, there are some connectors that are a lot harder to remove than others. These weren't too bad as they were like old school phone jack plugs or CAT 5 plug and this as opposed to automotive plugs.

You gotta master the wiggle jiggle

LOL!! More like press the tab and pull down with just one hand. :crazyeyes:

RMC2

Very informative. Definitely made those plugs less of a concern after actually seeing it done.

I’m curious what those plugs are being unplugged from.

And the light show is fun.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very informative. Definitely made those plugs less of a concern after actually seeing it done.

I’m curious what those plugs are being unplugged from.

And the light show is fun.

If needed, you can always remove the kick panel with ease to help see what you're doing.

The plugs go to an SGW or Cisco Server Gateway.

I don't care how small his hands are, he would have been cussing mine, Lol! The left one on mine was hanging on for dear life. I had to get some peculiar tools from Harbor Freight to help get it off. I wish mine had been that easy.

BillArnett

I don't care how small his hands are, he would have been cussing mine, Lol! The left one on mine was hanging on for dear life. I had to get some peculiar tools from Harbor Freight to help get it off. I wish mine had been that easy.

Me, too. I had the Devil’s own time getting them loose. What finally worked for me was the press the tab with one finger while pulling on the wires with one finger of my other hand.

What’s a Cisco Server Gateway? That plug that comes with the Tazer looks like there’s nothing inside but wire?