WRITE-UP : TAZER JL Programmer for JL WRANGLER / INSTALLATION & HOW TO USE

Z_Auto

Advertiser
Supporter
Hmmm! Always with the good questions :crazyeyes:

Forgetting to unmarry wouldn’t be a big deal, as it’s doubtful the dealer would notice any changes unless they specifically look at your tire size setting (if you changed it) vs service records.
Now if your sport was changed to show “rubicon” splash screen on start-up, that they might notice.

They have to go out of their way to look at the config counters, and above that, to think to themselves “gee why was this page in the config updated 4 times when the rest of the config was updated twice? Chances are, nobody cares.

Now if you forget to unplug the SGW bypass, that’s a different story. They’ll plug in their scan tool and it won’t work. Simple as that. May take them a while to figure out why, but once they do, you’ll have to explain why the security module is unplugged and this magic box is in its place...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Forgetting to unmarry wouldn’t be a big deal, as it’s doubtful the dealer would notice any changes unless they specifically look at your tire size setting (if you changed it) vs service records.
Now if your sport was changed to show “rubicon” splash screen on start-up, that they might notice.

They have to go out of their way to look at the config counters, and above that, to think to themselves “gee why was this page in the config updated 4 times when the rest of the config was updated twice? Chances are, nobody cares.

Now if you forget to unplug the SGW bypass, that’s a different story. They’ll plug in their scan tool and it won’t work. Simple as that. May take them a while to figure out why, but once they do, you’ll have to explain why the security module is unplugged and this magic box is in its place...

Thanks for letting us know :thumb:

BillArnett

Forgetting to unmarry wouldn’t be a big deal... [But] if you forget to unplug the SGW bypass, that’s a different story. [The dealer will] plug in their scan tool and it won’t work. Simple as that. May take them a while to figure out why, but once they do, you’ll have to explain why the security module is unplugged and this magic box is in its place...

Whoa, this is a big deal. But it's not all the surprising now that I think about it. That SGW is there for a very good reason: to prevent the sort of hacks that were reported a few months ago wherein the hackers could gain control of your Jeep remotely. I believe the exploit involved getting in thru the Uconnect and its internet connection. Bypassing the SGW leaves you wide open. IMHO, the probability of actually having someone hack into your Jeep is pretty low; leaving the SGW bypass installed is probably OK most of the time. But from FCA's point of view they have to do all they can to prevent it. I believe they're trying to do the right thing.

So I'm going to have to remove the Tazer JL's SGW bypass. But it's such a pain to get to those SGW connectors! :mad: It would have been SO MUCH nicer if the bypass module had another pair of connectors and a switch so that one could just switch the SGW in or out without messing with the connectors. Then the dealer would never notice.

It's curious, though, why the SGW bypass is even possible. Why didn't they put it deeper inside the dash where it would have been even more difficult to hack? Or even have the Uconnect or some other vital part of the car check for the presence of the SGW and refuse to start without it?

BillArnett

Ugh! My JL is headed to the dealer to address some unusual wind noise. Removing the SGW bypass and connecting the SGW again was almost as hard as installing the bypass in the first place. :-(

Rhinebeck01

Ugh! My JL is headed to the dealer to address some unusual wind noise. Removing the SGW bypass and connecting the SGW again was almost as hard as installing the bypass in the first place. :-(

If you remove the plastic below the steering column (easy off and easy on, takes seconds) the port where the SGW plugs into is very accessible.

BillArnett

If you remove the plastic below the steering column (easy off and easy on, takes seconds) the port where the SGW plugs into is very accessible.

Eddie mentioned that in his video but didn’t show how to do it. I’m not good with all those plastic panels in the interior. I’m afraid if I just start prying that I’ll break something. Any hints about how to do it correctly?

Rhinebeck01

Eddie mentioned that in his video but didn’t show how to do it. I’m not good with all those plastic panels in the interior. I’m afraid if I just start prying that I’ll break something. Any hints about how to do it correctly?

The panel comes off easily and goes back on easily as I mentioned. Suggest you use a plastic pry tool in the removal process. Here is an inexpensive set of pry tools..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNMLQAG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, with a pry tool go under the upper left corner and pry straight upward. Do the other corners til you can get your fingers under the plasrtci panel and then just pull straight upward. The clips are quite sturdy and you'd have to be pretty rough on things to damage the clips. Do use a plastic pry tool. To get plastic panel back on, just align the panel with the opening an press down gently but firmly. Very easy to do, in regard to both on and off.

The port you plug the SWG bypass module into will be right there and easy to access once the panel is off.

Watch Eddie's video where you can clearly see how to remove the panel..

Last edited:

BillArnett

Thanks for the video. After having my JL for two weeks I'm totally done with weather updates, I'd pay $300 just for that;)

Are you talking about the alert screens that pop up unbidden on the Uconnect? Argh! I hate that, too. I searched high and low for a way to disable them to no avail.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Are you talking about the alert screens that pop up unbidden on the Uconnect? Argh! I hate that, too. I searched high and low for a way to disable them to no avail.

Z_Auto states that the Tazer JL can be used to disable
travel link via radio menu, which in turn will disable weather alerts.