Metalcloak lift - Game Changer??

Jimjim

What about 2" dom, drill a hole for the hitch pin. Just one tube bend. Probably a lot cheaper and easier to make.

Edit: an idea not intended to de-rail.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What about 2" dom, drill a hole for the hitch pin. Just one tube bend. Probably a lot cheaper and easier to make.

Edit: an idea not intended to de-rail.

Yeah, that's an idea for sure. However, I'm already well on my way into having these made. Perhaps something I can look into in the future as an alternative.

13_gecko_rubi

This is what we made and I ran on my jk back when I carried a spare (ya I'm one of THOSE people). Also not intended to derail :)

20180516_210752.jpg20180516_210758.jpg

Sent via....

NFRs2000NYC

How important is it to have something like this when running an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier such as the one made by LoD?

Depends on the ledge you’re dropping from or climbing. Without it, you risk snagging the rear tire and literally use 290 horsepower to rip it off your carrier. It’s cheap and simple insurance to protect your Jeep. Watch eddies moab videos and it will be really clear what thing is for and what would happen if you don’t have one. Actually, I think eddies old moab video actually shows someone ripping off their spare from the tailgate.

BillArnett

Depends on the ledge you’re dropping from or climbing. Without it, you risk snagging the rear tire and literally use 290 horsepower to rip it off your carrier. It’s cheap and simple insurance to protect your Jeep. Watch eddies moab videos and it will be really clear what thing is for and what would happen if you don’t have one. Actually, I think eddies old moab video actually shows someone ripping off their spare from the tailgate.

Got a link to that video?

I understand why you would want one if your spare is tailgate mounted. I am curious if LoD, RockHard 4x4, Evo Mfg, etc designed their frame mounted carriers specifically to withstand this situation, making the stinger redundant.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How important is it to have something like this when running an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier such as the one made by LoD?

Depends on the tire carrier. If it's a bumper mounted one, it's not necessary at all. If it's a tailgate mounted one or one that's still connected to the tailgate, I'd still recommend you carry one and use it in extreme situations.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Got a link to that video?

Start watching this video at about 4:10. In it, you see various JK's taking on the same obstacle that I recently got hung up on in my JL and due to the engine cutting out. Of course, I got jammed in there due to how my old stinger is designed and is why I am redesigning it. Anyway, this video will show how a spare mounted on a bumper tire carrier can take the hit but one on a tailgate will break and/or buckle it.

https://vimeo.com/36985356