Metalcloak lift - Game Changer??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Want a HITCH MOUNTED STINGER?

Okay, I've had more than a few people contact me about the hitch mounted tail stinger you've all seen in our recent Moab video series and truth be told, I've been planning to have a new one made. Specifically, I've modified the design a bit so that it'd offer a greater amount of departure angle and so that it'd have less of a chance of hanging up the way it did out on trails like Metal Masher.

Anyway, since I'm having one made, I thought I could have a few more made and wanted to know if any of you might be interested in one. If so, would you be okay with it being in bare steel or would you be willing to pay more to have it powder coated? Please let me know.

20180331180504-42d71824-me.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
This reminds me of MAD's "Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions", but gosh darn it I'm at a loss for wit right now so I'll just say yes, I'm definitely interested in a hitch mounted stinger. Bare steel is fine.:yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Want a HITCH MOUNTED STINGER?

If the price is reasonable, I’m in as well. I’ve been looking for one for a long time and amazed that no company is looking to make one for sale. I’m fine with bare metal as well. Will friend PayPal as soon as you give the word.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm glad to hear there's some interest. Again, I've changed up the design and instead of it being bent like you see it in the pic, I'm having this new one cut and welded so that it angles upward and right from the hitch receiver. This should help increase departure angle and allow you to slide off obstacles better. The downside to this design and why I didn't do it in the first place, is that it costs more to have made. That being said, I think the added cost will be worth the benefits. Ideally, I'm hoping to make these available in bare steel for about $75 + Shipping. Depending on where you're located, this could be as low as $15 and as much as $25 via UPS Ground. Please let me know if you're still interested.

NFRs2000NYC

Sounds exactly right, I was looking at under $100 bucks or so, and if made right (will trust your judgement to do the QC) it’s the best $100 spent, as it can save you some really unpleasant costs of having the bumper/tire jack your tailgate. Only question is, do you think it would still work with an aftermarket bumper and carrier? Also, do you think a weld is going to be as strong as a solid bent piece?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds exactly right, I was looking at under $100 bucks or so, and if made right (will trust your judgement to do the QC) it’s the best $100 spent, as it can save you some really unpleasant costs of having the bumper/tire jack your tailgate. Only question is, do you think it would still work with an aftermarket bumper and carrier? Also, do you think a weld is going to be as strong as a solid bent piece?

I've designed this to just work with 37" tire mounted onto the tailgate using the Mopar reinforcement kit. That would be as low as a spare tire would get and pushed out at the same time. With what I've got running, my spare will sit about 1" above the stinger. Pretty much any aftermarket bumper tire carrier should have the spare sitting above that so I would think it should work. As far as the weld goes, there should be no reason why it shouldn't hold up. I do plan on just making one initially and testing it out though just to make sure. Again, the advantage of doing this is that you can start angling up right from the hitch receiver as opposed to extending out substantially further to accommodate a bend.

JeepFan

Put me down for one too Eddie! Bare metal is fine. Thanks for putting in the time and effort to get these made! :thumb: