What is this thing good for?

BillArnett

What is the function of the little plastic cover that goes over the rear view camera in the middle of the spare??
CD36761C-1572-4294-AB49-A4ABC9934ABD.jpg
It seems that all it does is make it harder to change a tire. If it’s supposed to be a theft-prevention device I can’t imagine that it would be very effective.

BillyHW

Hey I never gave it much thought before, but those cameras look like they might be pretty easy to steal. Are they locked in with the wheel, so that the logging lug nut also prevents the camera from being taken off?

BillArnett

I suppose the little plastic cover acts as a slight theft deterrent for the camera, too. But why bother stealing a $2 camera when there’s a $500 wheel right there, too? I live in a pretty safe neighborhood; I’m removing the plastic cover and running without locking lugs nuts to make it easier to change the tire if need be. YMMV.

13_gecko_rubi

I suppose the little plastic cover acts as a slight theft deterrent for the camera, too. But why bother stealing a $2 camera when there’s a $500 wheel right there, too? I live in a pretty safe neighborhood; I’m removing the plastic cover and running without locking lugs nuts to make it easier to change the tire if need be. YMMV.
Slight theft deterrent for the wheel not the camera. The camera cannot come out that way and trust me its a hell of a lot more than $2 if it did. The camera in the JL is a smart camera, all the video processing etc is done in the camera (grid lines etc). Its not just a normal dumb camera. Dont break it :)

Sent via....

jljordan

I don't know for sure, but I think it's there to help keep road spray away from the camera. I ran mine without it for a couple weeks and noticed the camera would get "dirty" really fast. I reinstalled it and it seems to help.