Auto STOP-START Stopped on its Own

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, a strange thing happened recently while we were driving on a long stretch of highway. As we were doing about 75-80 MPH, I turned on the cruise control and got ready to set it but held off as someone in the opposite direction decided to make a pass. Anyway, I ended up leaving the cruise control on but not engaged for awhile and almost forgot about it when an indicator light came on just above the "F" on the fuel gauge. The light was amber in color and that of a capital letter "A" surrounded by an almost complete circle with an arrow on one end and with an exclamation mark to the right of it.

20180508002023-bf58dcad-me.jpg

Essentially, this was a warning light for the Auto Stop-Start system and it was letting us know that it was disabled or no longer working. Now, while I would be all too happy to have the damn thing turned off, I can't say that I was all too thrilled about it turning off all on its own and for what seemed like no good reason. After coming to a complete stop, turning off the engine and then turning it back on again, the light went away and Auto Stop-Start did start working again. I should note, this happened again one more time but I haven't seen it since.

With all that said, has anyone else on here experienced anything like this before?

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
When it happened again was the cruise control involved that time as well?
Do you think that it could be related to the auxiliary battery? I only ask because I have read about loose terminals in the power distribution center resulting in poor charge of the auxiliary battery, as well as loose relays and fuses.

Last edited:

Bsimon187

Do you have your tazer plugged into the Jeep still? It could be that with the cruise control on some code in there triggered it off. On a side note, you have a tazer. Why is your auto stop still on? :). That was the first thing I turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JeepFan

Very strange indeed! I haven't noticed that on mine...YET! :crazyeyes: I wonder if it has something to do with engine temp or some other condition that would otherwise disable auto start/stop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When it happened again was the cruise control involved that time as well?
Do you think that it could be related to the auxiliary battery? I only ask because I have read about loose terminals in the power distribution center resulting in poor charge of the auxiliary battery, as well as loose relays and fuses.

The cruise control was turned on but not engaged. Not sure about the aux battery but I doubt it.

Do you have your tazer plugged into the Jeep still? It could be that with the cruise control on some code in there triggered it off. On a side note, you have a tazer. Why is your auto stop still on? :). That was the first thing I turned off.

LOL! To be fair, this happened BEFORE installing our Tazer JL. I just didn't have time to post up about it until now. :crazyeyes:

Very strange indeed! I haven't noticed that on mine...YET! :crazyeyes: I wonder if it has something to do with engine temp or some other condition that would otherwise disable auto start/stop.

I don't know. Not like it's really a problem. It was just odd to see.

Rellik

The first time we experienced the auto start stop feature we were like "WTF". The wife doesn't like it but I am getting to the point where it doesn't bother me at all. Having said that the wife is way smarter then I am :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The first time we experienced the auto start stop feature we were like "WTF". The wife doesn't like it but I am getting to the point where it doesn't bother me at all. Having said that the wife is way smarter then I am :thumb:

LOL!! I for the life of me just can't get used to that damn thing!! Fortunately, Cindy is always good about turning it off the second the engine is on. :crazyeyes:

13_gecko_rubi

I understand that but I would think the problem would be more persistent if it were a low battery. It's only happened 2 times and on a really long drive. It hasn't happened again since. :idontknow:

Guess I'll try to give everything a closer look just to be safe.
There are a dozen things that can turn it off. I wouldn't worry about it yet :)

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Sent via....

LOL!! I like how you made sure to throw in the "yet" :cheesy:

Thank you for the reassurance. It really isn't that big of a deal to me - just wanted to share with others.

BillArnett

Sent via....

If you use the left-hand up and down buttons on the steering wheel to switch to the status page for the Auto Start/Stop system it will either say “Ready” or give you a message about why it’s off. There may be more than one reason but at least you’ll see one of them.

My wild-ass-guess: your cabin was heating up and the A/C was a little behind; that’s one of the ESS criteria.

BillArnett

LOL!! I for the life of me just can't get used to that damn thing!!

I actually like it. It saves a bit of gas. And if it doesn’t do its thing then it’s a hint that something may be amiss. (I ran my compressor(s) a lot today with the engine off. When I drove it afterwards, the ESS didn’t work because the “battery is charging”. No big deal but it’s nice to know.)

The downside is that whenever the ESS kicks in it reminds me just how horribly inefficient a Wrangler is.