Auto STOP-START Stopped on its Own

BillArnett

Thanks!

So... When I air up my tires it's pulling quite a lot of current (maybe 100A) but only for a couple of minutes. That's a small fraction of the battery's capacity. But apparently enough to trigger the "battery protection" mode in the Start/Stop system. But oddly, NOT enough to cause the charging system to activate the alternator at idle. Ergo, it's useless to run the engine while running the compressors since it isn't charging anyway. Right?

What will happen when I'm pulling 500+ amps with my (yet to be installed) winch? Several years ago I had to do a pretty hard pull with the winch on my JK. It wasn't moving until I revved up the engine which raised the voltage which gave the winch just enough extra power to move the load. What will the JL's tricky charging system do in a similar circumstance?

13_gecko_rubi

Thanks!

So... When I air up my tires it's pulling quite a lot of current (maybe 100A) but only for a couple of minutes. That's a small fraction of the battery's capacity. But apparently enough to trigger the "battery protection" mode in the Start/Stop system. But oddly, NOT enough to cause the charging system to activate the alternator at idle. Ergo, it's useless to run the engine while running the compressors since it isn't charging anyway. Right?

What will happen when I'm pulling 500+ amps with my (yet to be installed) winch? Several years ago I had to do a pretty hard pull with the winch on my JK. It wasn't moving until I revved up the engine which raised the voltage which gave the winch just enough extra power to move the load. What will the JL's tricky charging system do in a similar circumstance?
You revving your engine increased the current not just the voltage. Which you shouldn't have to do winching if u have a healthy battery. I have had my jeep buried 50" deep in mud and never had to rev the engine to winch out. Regardless if it sees a 500A draw it's going to fully excite the alternator.

What do you mean it put it in "battery protection mode"? There were faults on the dash? Or it just didnt shut down so it was working fine?

Remember draining your battery down some then charging it back up when needed versus running it constantly overcharging isn't only good for fuel economy it very good for your battery.

Sent via....

BillArnett

Thanks!

You revving your engine increased the current not just the voltage. Which you shouldn't have to do winching if u have a healthy battery. I have had my jeep buried 50" deep in mud and never had to rev the engine to winch out. Regardless if it sees a 500A draw it's going to fully excite the alternator.

What do you mean it put it in "battery protection mode"? There were faults on the dash? Or it just didnt shut down so it was working fine?

Remember draining your battery down some then charging it back up when needed versus running it constantly overcharging isn't only good for fuel economy it very good for your battery.

Sent via....

No faults, just the ESS not shutting off the engine because it wanted to charge the battery.

I get it about not constantly charging unless necessary. It's just unexpected and it would be nice if the owner's manual explained what's going on.

The situation I mentioned was actually kind of amusing. It was my first big trip with my new 2011 JK two-door. We were in southern Utah many miles from civilization on an easy road when we came to a T intersection that was completely blocked by a semi truck which had tried to make the turn and got hung up on a berm. I'm talking about one of those huge 80,000 lb rigs firmly on his frame rail in soft dirt. I could have easily driven around him but with a brand new Warn Powerplant and a bit too much confidence I decided to try to pull him out. A straight pull only dragged my Jeep toward him. So I used another strap to attach my rear bumper to a big tree. But with all 9500 pounds from my winch the big rig wouldn't budge. So I rigged a double line pull with one of my ARB blocks. That didn't go, either (19000 pounds). So I rigged a triple line pull with two blocks (28500 pounds). It was at that point that it finally made it but only by revving up. But stupidly, I didn't take any photos :thinking:

13_gecko_rubi

No faults, just the ESS not shutting off the engine because it wanted to charge the battery.

I get it about not constantly charging unless necessary. It's just unexpected and it would be nice if the owner's manual explained what's going on.

The situation I mentioned was actually kind of amusing. It was my first big trip with my new 2011 JK two-door. We were in southern Utah many miles from civilization on an easy road when we came to a T intersection that was completely blocked by a semi truck which had tried to make the turn and got hung up on a berm. I'm talking about one of those huge 80,000 lb rigs firmly on his frame rail in soft dirt. I could have easily driven around him but with a brand new Warn Powerplant and a bit too much confidence I decided to try to pull him out. A straight pull only dragged my Jeep toward him. So I used another strap to attach my rear bumper to a big tree. But with all 9500 pounds from my winch the big rig wouldn't budge. So I rigged a double line pull with one of my ARB blocks. That didn't go, either (19000 pounds). So I rigged a triple line pull with two blocks (28500 pounds). It was at that point that it finally made it but only by revving up. But stupidly, I didn't take any photos :thinking:
Ok I change my tune. That pull may requires revving lol

If there are no faults nothung is wrong. The jeep is smart and know what's better for itself long term. Intentionally draining the battery down a tad then recharging it during optimum conditions is what it will try to do to be most efficient. It never lets it get low enough to cause an issue. The owners manual could never explain how things work like that. It's easy, no fault code, no issue. Lol

Sent via....

JL johnny

Ess sucks!

Recently my start/stop quit working with the message that says "Start/Stop unavailable Service Start/Stop" and my backup camera and back up lights stop working when this happens. I unmarried my Tazer and it still continues with the same symptoms. Any body run across this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Recently my start/stop quit working with the message that says "Start/Stop unavailable Service Start/Stop" and my backup camera and back up lights stop working when this happens. I unmarried my Tazer and it still continues with the same symptoms. Any body run across this?

You know, that seems to happen to me from time to time but only if I've been driving with Cruise Control on for a long time. It always has gone away on its own though. :idontknow:

benatc1

Not with a tazer. But i did have the error message and similar issues. Dealer had to replace the secondary battery and they said it's been an issue, so maybe something to do with that

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Deezus

I just had this happen to me and also the check engine light as well. It's happened 2 times, I'm in Sacramento and it is over 100 here so maybe it's temperature related?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

KYJeff

The Auto Stop-Start did the same thing on my Gladiator today then went away and has worked fine since. I also have noticed a slight squill while starting up using the Auto Stop-Start.IMG_1039.jpg

Jeeeep

My JL is at the dealership for this.

Of course there are no codes and their solution is to leave it with them until it happens again :doh::doh::doh:

I'm picking it up tomorrow, fuck that leaving it with them for some undetermined amount of time while someone else drives it around to see if it happens again.

It did it to me as well. Light would come on when I hit 35 mph. I disconnected all battery power and this fixed the problem for now.

BluRubi

Mine did this.. New 19 JL, 216 miles on it. 2nd day the start/stop quit working, next morning the dreaded "no start". Had to have it towed to the dealer. Evidently a relay went bad and needs to be replaced. Hope this is not a sign of things to come as my 15 JKU was well sorted and never had any problems. But I do really like the new JL so fingers crossed, keep reading the forums and stay ahead of the curve..[emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk