Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto STOP-START Stopped on its Own

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by BillArnett View Post
    Something much more complicated than Iím used to is going on with the JL charging system. Maybe someone here can explain?

What I noticed today: after a few hours of wheeling at Hollister Hills I pumped up my tires again for the trip home (this time with the engine running) and set off on the highway. When I got the the first stop I noticed that the Engine Start/Stop didnít stop the engine as usual. I checked the status and it said something like ďnot ready because of battery saving modeĒ. So I checked the battery voltage and it said 12.7 or 12.6. Oddly (for me anyway) the voltage did NOT increase when in revved up the engine but it did increase to 13.5 or so when I was coasting at zero throttle. This continued all the way home (80 miles). A few house later I drove it around the block and it was back to normal: ESS worked as soon as the engine heated up.

So whatís going on? It seems like itís not charging the battery most of the time.
    This is the same issue I was having. It is exactly how Jeep designed the charging system though. It is designed to put as little load as possible on the system for fuel conservation.

Fresh Catch
    Hope this works.

So what's the problem? A fully charged battery is 12.6/12.7 volts or above. Maybe instead of just removing Offroad Pages they should remove everything so everybody can chill out.
    Edit - "LOL" added for levity.
    Last edited by doubletapdaddy; 05-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.

Knows a Thing or Two
    It's working exactly like it's supposed to. Voltage is not the best way to determine if a battery is fully charged. The JL (and most new vehicles) all have complicated state of charge algorithms watching amp hour draw and amp hour input into the battery. Look at your negative battery terminal and you will see the current sensors which are used to determine battery state of charge. If it sees a load on the battery it will increase the current out of alt by increasing voltage as that's the only variable on an alternator.

Sent via....

Knows a Thing or Two
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletapdaddy View Post
    So what's the problem? A fully charged battery is 12.6/12.7 volts or above. Maybe instead of just removing Offroad Pages they should remove EVERYTHING so everybody can chill out.
    I agree. Showing info usually causes more bad than good. When the digital gauges were added to the JK in 13/14 It caused huge warranty spikes because people saw the higher water temps which were actually normal for the 3.6 and took them in for overheating even though the physical gauge showed right in middle and no lights, codes etc. Your vehicle will tell you if something is wrong :-)

Sent via....

Fresh Catch
    Problem is that on long drives my auto start will not even kick in as it states the voltage is to low. This happens around 12.4 and when I go long streatches without coasting. I am fine with it as it is designed that way. But at that time it had me concerned as I am used to 14.1 while motor is running. Edited to ask if you guys even read the above statements.
    Last edited by ubbb69; 05-16-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Knows a Thing or Two
    Quote Originally Posted by ubbb69 View Post
    Problem is that on long drives my auto start will not even kick in as it states the voltage is to low. This happens around 12.4 and when I go long streatches without coasting. I am fine with it as it is designed that way. But at that time it had me concerned as I am used to 14.1 while motor is running.
    What you are used to is old vehicles that run a constantly excited alternator. Voltage doesn't matter. It's calculating battery state of charge. If it thinks battery is charged it will only run alt hard enough to supply necessary current to keep vehicle running. Not extra to run vehicle and charge battery as it's already charged. All new vehicles do this. It's for fuel economy but it also greatly extends battery and alternator life as well. We were doing this in other industries I worked in decades ago. The auto folks have only started doing it recently.

Did u add extra accessories to the vehicle? If so where did you tie them in? You didn't put anything to the negative terminal on the battery post side of the current sensors did you?

Sent via....

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by 13_gecko_rubi View Post
    What you are used to is old vehicles that run a constantly excited alternator. Voltage doesn't matter. It's calculating battery state of charge. If it thinks battery is charged it will only run alt hard enough to supply necessary current to keep vehicle running. Not extra to run vehicle and charge battery as it's already charged.

Did u add extra accessories to the vehicle? If so where did you tie them in? You didn't put anything to the negative terminal on the battery post side of the current sensors did you?

Sent via....
    Pretty sure you did not even read my posts. Even the tech that rode with me was surprised at the charge the software called for at different times. All was in spec and I am fine with it. And yeah I guess if 2016 is old tech at this time that is what i am used to. It still makes no since that the battery will be allowed to go to low for the main system in place for mileage.

Knows a Thing or Two
    Pretty sure you did not even read my posts. Even the tech that rode with me was surprised at the charge the software called for at different times. All was in spec and I am fine with it. And yeah I guess if 2016 is old tech at this time that is what i am used to. It still makes no since that the battery will be allowed to go to low for the main system in place for mileage.
    I did read your posts. What was your 2016? 2018 JKs even use old tech charging along with many other vehicles.

You are right it should not drain over mileage. It should maintain the battery. Did you add accessories to the jeep or is it still stock?

Sent via....

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Pretty sure heís an engineer for Jeep, so he knows whatís going on. The tech from the dealership? Who knows if he knows what heís talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast