ARB vs ENGEL fridges

I just received today a Snomaster (S. African company) LS35 fridge/freezer. It has easily the best warranty in the business, and they make their own compressors. I'll be stocking it tonight with some Vernor's Ginger Ale, Coke, and water bottles, then throwing it in my Jeep to try out for a few days. It cooled off FAST!

By the way, I asked Snomaster if they had Danfoss compressors. They said they put Danfoss compressors, which they still consider to be very good, in the stuff they make for other brands. They use their own for products with their own name on them and warrant them much longer. 7 years on the compressor, and 3 years on everything else.

Anyway, it seems well built. It can go down to 8 below zero, has a light which, like the ARB, doesn't shine in your eyes, has a drain (like ARB and Dometic), and also has an alarm on the latch that sounds if left open for more than 90 seconds. I like that feature, as I've got a bunch of young kids that tend to leave cooler lids open. Anyway, I brought it home, unboxed it, and watched it cool down from 90 degrees to 33 in about 13 minutes. Fast!
RChTcdd.jpg

RChTcdd
fnSACxS.jpg
m531NKZ.jpg

It is now in my Jeep, in the garage. It works great! I filled it with drinks and plugged in the AC so that it will do the hard work tonight on the grid, then tomorrow, all it will have to do is maintain temp. After work, my coworkers and I will have some nice cold lemonade, water, and ginger ale.

Here are a couple more pics. I've since put a couple bungies on each end to tie it down. I also bought an inexpensive cable bike lock and locked the back handle down to the Jeep tie down, just to make it a little more difficult should someone decide to try and steal it (soft top is on).

cJFxpeC.jpg
p8HsDh8.jpg

And plugged in...

Df7jUDz.jpg

WTF, it doesn't hold beer? You got ripped off.

It doesn't hold beer....at work. I'm a middle school principal. The day it holds beer at work would be my last day of work. It will certainly hold beer on weekends and during vacation time, though, for sure!

It ran all day in the back of my Jeep, where it was good and hot. It kept everything at a nice, cold 33 degrees, from 8am to 8pm. The battery was in decent shape when I started it to come home. This fridge is just a beautiful thing. I won't miss messing with a cooler, one bit. Worth every penny!

Last edited: