Recommendations for a winch?

BornToRunAustin

I'm ready to purchase a winch for my JLR and thought I'd ask the brain trust here. I'd appreciate any recommendations based on experience. There are a lot of choices and various price points out there.

I'd like to purchase at least a 8000 lb pull capacity, waterproof, with synthetic cable. The main concern obviously is that winch is reliable. It needs to work the first time and stay working years down the road (uh...trail.) :)

Thanks in advance.

John

ocrejects

My recommendation would be a Smittybuilt X20 wireless and waterproof. It’s 10,000 and around 450 to 550 depending on who you get it from and they also have a rebate right now for $75.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm ready to purchase a winch for my JLR and thought I'd ask the brain trust here. I'd appreciate any recommendations based on experience. There are a lot of choices and various price points out there.

I'd like to purchase at least a 8000 lb pull capacity, waterproof, with synthetic cable. The main concern obviously is that winch is reliable. It needs to work the first time and stay working years down the road (uh...trail.) :)

Thanks in advance.

John

The key word here is "reliable". If we were talking about parachutes, would you want one that's made in China but cheap or one that's made in the USA but costs more? In the 25 years I've been doing this, I can tell you that I've seen a lot of winches fail when they were most needed. NONE of my WARN's have ever let me down. I should note there are made in the USA WARN's and ones that are made in China - their VR series. I would not recommend the later. I should also note that I am not suggesting that all China made winches will fail, just that the odds of it are a LOT higher than something like a WARN. Even if it's just one in a hundred that will have issues, do you really want to take that chance? For me, the answer is no.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Love the Warn Zeon 10-S on my JK. Never used it for myself, but it NEVER failed to pull others out. Mostly pickup trucks. LOL.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Thanks in advance.

John

A Warn M8000 is tried and true. Get a good snatch block to go with it, and a tree saver strap.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JTCO

Meme King
Warn. I run the Zeon 8 on a heavy WJ and have used it several times. It hasn't let me down.

Onlyone

Warn. I went with the good old M8000 with synthetic rope.

Attachments

• 06AF3DDA-83E7-43A3-A159-9C28DC50C8C4.jpg
    06AF3DDA-83E7-43A3-A159-9C28DC50C8C4.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 87
  • B76CC07F-ABD2-4B47-B448-379D9469B67E.jpg
    B76CC07F-ABD2-4B47-B448-379D9469B67E.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 91

NFRs2000NYC

My Zeon 10S has always worked for me when I needed it two. It has moved from one JK to another, and will move again to my JL. Only negative is you need to check the fitment and that it fits into the bumper you're looking at. If you can spare the extra cash, the wireless one may be worth a look.

BillArnett

Just to be completely fair....I had a Warn Powerplant on my JK. It was NOT waterproof. I left it out in the rain for years and never hesitated to immerse it in a water crossing. And it eventually failed. Wouldn’t run at all in either winch or compressor mode. Even though it was long out of warrantee Warn took it back, fixed it and sent it back to me and it’s worked perfectly since.

For my JL I’m planning to get a Warn Zeon 10-S.

Amric

I have a 16 year old Warn winch that has been used countless times over the years, and submerged or buried in mud over and over, and still going strong.