Artec Industries Nighthawk front bumper review

Bongoray

IMG_5358.jpg
Hello everyone, here's my honest review and experience with Artec and their Nighthawk front bumper and skid plate:

Admittedly I'm a little upset and disappointed. Neither the bumper, nor the sway bar guard came with installation instructions or torque values for the bolts. I was able to remove my stock bumper on my brand new 2018 JLUR in about 20 minutes. I spent the next 4.5 hours trying to get this bumper to bolt on. :mad:I had to drill larger clearance holes and grind my brand new frame with a dremel tool to get the bumper mounting bolts to sort of line up with their mounting holes in the bumper. After struggling to get all the bolts in I slightly cross threaded the last bolt after multiple attempts and just decided to leave it off until I can run a finishing tap through it to fix the threads. I probably took this bumper on and off 7 or 8 times to try to make adjustments to get it to fit. The next fun part was realizing that the bumper does in fact accept the stock LED fog lights, which is great, but it does not accept the stock fog light mounting hardware. That's ok though, I'll check the hardware bag... nope not included. More on the fog lights later...

I finally was able to get the bumper on (minus one mounting bolt) and it was time to mount the winch. The winch install surprisingly went well. However I wish Artec would chase & deburr their through holes. Of course the last bolt I was threading in wouldn't go through the hole due to a burr. An easy fix, but not what I wanted to run into as I'm trying to finish the install. One last fun surprise was the driver side D-ring mount hole was drilled too small and I had to use a dead blow hammer to pound the bolt through. Normally I wouldn't do that but I was so frustrated with the install I just wanted it done. It stripped off the paint on the D ring bolt and I'm sure the brand new paint on the inside of the hole. Which will probably rust in our Buffalo, NY winters. Speaking of paint, it cost me $300 to get this bumper painted. The surface finish of the bumper had my painter doing extra prep work to make it look good. The welds and construction of the bumper are really well done. It is perhaps overkill and it weighs a ton for a shorty bumper (roughly 80 pounds). But I can live with that. I would've been much happier if it fit right the first time. Artec, please pay more attention to your mounting hole tolerances, chase & deburr your holes. Also, it couldn't hurt to chamfer the sharp edges of the bumper too. My hands would thank you.

So I had to mount the fog lights at a later time since it took so long to mount the bumper. The mounting holes for the stock LED fog lights lined up perfectly, but like I said before you can't use the stock mounting screws. Installing the fog lights after the bumper is installed is a pain in the ass. There's not a lot of room to work with tools, but it is possible. What's not possible, since the mounting holes aren't threaded is to get a nut on the outside of the LED because once the light is installed there's no room to access the nut from the front of the bumper. I was able to buy some stainless steel screws and put them in from the front of the bumper and could just get a thin screw driver in from the front, but only for the top two bolts, the bottom two bolts are not accessible by any means. There also is no means of adjusting the fog lights either. Artec also needs to redesign the bumper to move the location of the fog lights so you can easily reuse the factory wiring harness. The driver's side is no problem because the wires are super long. I actually had to tie them back. The passenger side is a different story. There's no easy way to get the connect to the LED. I was able to stretch it and make it work, but there's no stress relief on the wires. I'll probably have to lengthen it at some point.

I also purchased the sway bar guard. It appears to be well built, but again it didn't come with instructions. It does come with a small additional bracket that I can't figure out for the life of me where it goes. Again, some instructions would help. I haven't tried to mount it yet. I'll add a review once I do. I'm expecting more problems, but hoping for the best.

I will also mention that I have not been able to get any customer service. Artec does not answer their phones, nor do they return voicemails or respond to emails or the online review portions on their website. I tried installing this bumper on 5/3/18. I've left two voicemails, one review (this one) and an email that have all gone unanswered. I'm disappointed in such an expensive bumper. More so in the lack of customer support.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that really is a bummer. I do however appreciate your honest review. Certainly, nobody ever wants to say that something they bought isn't as good as they were hoping. Hopefully this will help others in the future.

NFRs2000NYC

Just like the mainstream media, many companies don’t care about the quality, they just want to be the first. Artec had their bumper out like 3 days after the JLs started delivering. Having holes that don’t line up and requiring deadblow hammers to put the d ring pin is a ridiculous thing to have to do. You definitely have more patience than I do, because I would have boxed it and sent it back and asked the vendor for a refund or just simply do a chargeback if no one is answering their phones. If you are going to sell shit, stand behind it. Appreciate the honest review, most forums everyone just gasses up the vendors/companies suckering others to purchase shit parts and eat the issues because they are afraid others will just blame them, on installer error. Having said all that, at least it looks pretty good after all your troubles.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

BillArnett

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that review. I was seriously looking at their inner fender liners. Now I’m reconsidering. :-(

Bongoray

I would've returned it but I already paid to have it painted. It does look great and is built like a tank. I bought it from northridge4x4.com who has excellent customer service. They offered to contact Ar tec but I don't think they were successful. I may try them again.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would've returned it but I already paid to have it painted. It does look great and is built like a tank. I bought it from northridge4x4.com who has excellent customer service. They offered to contact Ar tec but I don't think they were successful. I may try them again.

Honestly, painted or not, I would've still fought to return it. Looks aren't everything and I'd hate to keep something on my Jeep that I wasn't happy with.

JTCO

Meme King
What a pain in the ass. With that many issues with the bumper itself, I also would have tried to return it regardless of it being painted. That's ridiculous.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What a pain in the ass. With that many issues with the bumper itself, I also would have tried to return it regardless of it being painted. That's ridiculous.

Yup. Also, being that it was bought from a vendor, they're the ones who should be taking it back. The customer shouldn't have to dick around with the manufacturer.

draykas

Good review

Thanks for the review and detail as I have been looking at the rear bumper they offer since I have parking sensors. will look at other options

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's nice to see a true review of a product. Never considered anything made by Artec for my JK, but will say the bumper for the JL does look good. If only they could finish it a little nicer.

Be patient and I think you'll be glad that you did. I can guarantee you that there will be a TON of options available by November and more than likely, ones that you will like even better.

Artec

I would like to formally address this and advise this issue is being handled in the highest priority on our side and that we are not happy that any product left our facility that was not 100% up to our quality standards.

We have been working closely with the crew at Northridge4x4 to make sure this is handled in the best way possible.

Artec Industries continues to strive for the utmost in quality and we apologize to Mr. Jones for not delivering that with this product.

For General information: Our development of the JL Product line started well before the first JL's started hitting the showrooms, we are not rushing or cutting corners to make things happen and we will continue to ensure that we meet our quality standards. Most importantly, if we come up short on meeting those quality goals we will always stand behind our products and make sure to provide a positive resolution, even if that may be a full refund (which is not the case in this situation, as Mr. Jones has worked through some of these issues)

If you should have any issues with anything Artec Industries related, please feel free to contact me directly, my email is listed below.

Thank you all for your time and consideration,

Armando Verdugo
Director of Sales and Marketing
Artec Industries

JTCO

Meme King
I would like to formally address this and advise this issue is being handled in the highest priority on our side and that we are not happy that any product left our facility that was not 100% up to our quality standards.

We have been working closely with the crew at Northridge4x4 to make sure this is handled in the best way possible.

Artec Industries continues to strive for the utmost in quality and we apologize to Mr. Jones for not delivering that with this product.

For General information: Our development of the JL Product line started well before the first JL's started hitting the showrooms, we are not rushing or cutting corners to make things happen and we will continue to ensure that we meet our quality standards. Most importantly, if we come up short on meeting those quality goals we will always stand behind our products and make sure to provide a positive resolution, even if that may be a full refund (which is not the case in this situation, as Mr. Jones has worked through some of these issues)

If you should have any issues with anything Artec Industries related, please feel free to contact me directly, my email is listed below.

Armando Verdugo
Artec Industries

Armando, Thanks for taking the time to address this customer service issue, however, the rules here at JLWRANGLER.COM prohibit any manufacturers or vendors from posting on the forum without prior approval from Eddie or Cindy. Please contact them by Private Message before posting. Thank you.

https://jlwrangler.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=3

https://jlwrangler.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=2

Nate

Armando Verdugo
Artec Industries
Armando, Thanks for taking the time to address this customer service issue, however, the rules here at JLWRANGLER.COM prohibit any manufacturers or vendors from posting on the forum without prior approval from Eddie or Cindy. Please contact them by Private Message before posting. Thank you.

https://jlwrangler.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=3

https://jlwrangler.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=2

So helping people is not acceptable? He's not advertising anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So helping people is not acceptable?

Welcome to JLWRANGLER, it's nice to see that you just signed up and just to make this post. As far as "helping people" goes, Artec could of done that by answering their phone, listen to their voicemail and maybe return a call or respond to emails that the OP says he sent. Just sayin.

He's not advertising anything.

Right, because Mr. Jones (I assume is the OP) had apparently already been helped, it was absolutely necessary for Artec to sign up as themselves and come on here to make a public apology to him and to broadcast to others that the "issue is being handled in the highest priority". This is to say nothing about all the talk about "quality" and "standards" or chiming in with "general information" regarding the development of their JL product line and how they "always stand behind our products and make sure to provide a positive resolution". Yeah, they weren't advertising anything. :rolleyes2:

Nate

Welcome to JLWRANGLER, it's nice to see that you just signed up and just to make this post. As far as "helping people" goes, Artec could of done that by answering their phone, listen to their voicemail and maybe return a call or respond to emails that the OP says he sent. Just sayin.

So. Are people only allowed to speak when they've reached forum god status?

Right, because Mr. Jones (I assume is the OP) had apparently already been helped, it was absolutely necessary for Artec to sign up as themselves and come on here to make a public apology to him and to broadcast to others that the "issue is being handled in the highest priority". This is to say nothing about all the talk about "quality" and "standards" or chiming in with "general information" regarding the development of their JL product line and how they "always stand behind our products and make sure to provide a positive resolution". Yeah, they weren't advertising anything. :rolleyes2:

I guess you're right :thinking:. Here I was considering advertising as mentioning a specific product (which he didn't even though this is in thread about a product), with a price attached, and features about said product but replying about the exact customer service situation and giving someone the chance to explain themselves is definitely advertising. You know there are always two sides of the story right? It would be nice if the other side could even reply. I reach out to companies all the time and don't get a response only to find their response in my junk mail.:doh:

Just because you roll your eyes doesn't mean you're right.