More lift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We are. We're already testing out a new set of Rancho RS5000X shocks to go with our 2.5" EVO lift and adjustable control arms. We're already seeing a few problems that'll need to be dealt with if we go any higher though.

BillArnett

We are. We're already testing out a new set of Rancho RS5000X shocks to go with our 2.5" EVO lift and adjustable control arms. We're already seeing a few problems that'll need to be dealt with if we go any higher though.

Can you say a few words more about those problems?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I guess I just assumed the problems were common knowledge by now especially for anyone who's lifted their JL. Just to name a few things right off the bat, with more lift and greater travel, the following things will need to be addressed:

1. Drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket installed to help correct steering geometry and recenter axle.
2. Rear adjustable track bar installed to help recenter axle.
3. Locker wiring needs to be freed up and/or re-routed front and rear to prevent it from getting pull out of the plug at full droop.
4. Emergency brake cables need to be relocated under the cross member so that it won't limit the rear axle droop.
5. Front shocks mounts need to be moved out to help prevent it from making contact with frame at a full flex.
6. Front drive shaft needs to replaced as too much droop will cause it to pull apart at the slip shaft.

I'm sure there's more and I'll post them up as I think of them.

Eazy

Sorry, I guess I just assumed the problems were common knowledge by now especially for anyone who's lifted their JL. Just to name a few things right off the bat, with more lift and greater travel, the following things will need to be addressed:

1. Drag link flip/front track bar relocation bracket installed to help correct steering geometry and recenter axle.
2. Rear adjustable track bar installed to help recenter axle.
3. Locker wiring needs to be freed up and/or re-routed front and rear to prevent it from getting pull out of the plug at full droop.
4. Emergency brake cables need to be relocated under the cross member so that it won't limit the rear axle droop.
5. Front shocks mounts need to be moved out to help prevent it from making contact with frame at a full flex.
6. Front drive shaft needs to replaced as too much droop will cause it to pull apart at the slip shaft.

I'm sure there's more and I'll post them up as I think of them.
So what your saying is leave it stock lol

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

RMC2

I have waiting to hear this kind of stuff. Of course I don’t have my JL yet, but will on Saturday.

BillArnett

:cheesy: Nah - just that there's a reason why pretty much every kit out there so far is just 2"-2.5".

Just to be clear, are you saying all those problems will occur ONLY with more than 2.5” of lift? I’m no expert but so far I haven’t experienced any of those problems with my 2.5” lift.

But I did have more rubbing issues than you did. More in another post.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear, are you saying all those problems will occur ONLY with more than 2.5” of lift? I’m no expert but so far I haven’t experienced any of those problems with my 2.5” lift.

But I did have more rubbing issues than you did. More in another post.

Yes. These are problems you WILL have to address if you run MORE than 2.5" of lift.

JAGS

:cheesy: What's the fun in waiting. You can always upgrade later :yup:

[emoji23] I’m clinging on to excuses! My Jeep is getting me 18+ miles a gallon since I’ve brought it home. Granted, it only has 1500 miles, lol, but it’s been great to drive.

I do need to figure out what I can/need to do to get to where I think I want to be. Been so busy haven’t been able to call EVO. I just don’t want to waste $$$ along the way.

It took me 2 years to pull the trigger on lifting my JK, so I’ll still be way ahead of schedule. 🤣

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
[emoji23] I’m clinging on to excuses! My Jeep is getting me 18+ miles a gallon since I’ve brought it home. Granted, it only has 1500 miles, lol, but it’s been great to drive.

I do need to figure out what I can/need to do to get to where I think I want to be. Been so busy haven’t been able to call EVO. I just don’t want to waste $$$ along the way.

It took me 2 years to pull the trigger on lifting my JK, so I’ll still be way ahead of schedule. 🤣

LOL!! All the more reason why a Rancho kit like this might be right up your ally. This with a set of 35's can be done on the cheap and you can always sell it when you're ready to upgrade :yup:

RMC2

It took me 2 years to pull the trigger on lifting my JK, so I’ll still be way ahead of schedule. ��

Jason, it took me over 4 years to by my EVO Evolution lift for the second JK - only to decide to get a JL. That lift is still new in the boxes. And then my wife says, I told you to wait last November, because she knew I was gonna get the JL before I did. Of course, I was also fighting the transfer case gremlins on the 13. She asked for years when I was gonna lift it.

Now, I have had to wait a week and a half to drive the six hours south to pick up the JL. Had to wait to get the JK back with transfer case #4 first. I will pick it up Saturday, and yes it has been killing me. It will have over 1000 miles on it by the time I get home a week later.

So now the lift delima begins again.

Last edited:

RMC2

And my JK jumped to about 18 mpg when I put a set of lightweight stock JK sport tires on it for trading it in. Been getting about 14.

JAGS

LOL!! All the more reason why a Rancho kit like this might be right up your ally. This with a set of 35's can be done on the cheap and you can always sell it when you're ready to upgrade :yup:

I missed the news on the Rancho lift I think. Got a link?

RMC2

I’m eyeing the rancho kit , but waiting for the 9000xl shocks to come out this summer. Also looking to see the new EVO lift, but haven’t seen anything yet.

JAGS

Thanks, I’ll check out the thread. [emoji106]

I’m eyeing the rancho kit , but waiting for the 9000xl shocks to come out this summer. Also looking to see the new EVO lift, but haven’t seen anything yet.

I’m talking myself into the EVO long arm and EVO spec COs. But as eddie mentioned, there will be some issues and solutions are still being developed.

The JL is a different animal than the the JK and I want to be able to take advantage of what this set up will give. I also know it won’t be cheap.

RMC2

Thanks, I’ll check out the thread. [emoji106]

I’m talking myself into the EVO long arm and EVO spec COs. But as eddie mentioned, there will be some issues and solutions are still being developed.

The JL is a different animal than the the JK and I want to be able to take advantage of what this set up will give. I also know it won’t be cheap.

Wanting that setup for the JK was part of my problem. And yes I want it for the JL. Probably will not though.