Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shudder / Buck on Light Throttle

Fresh Catch

Shudder / Buck on Light Throttle

Anyone else experiencing a slight, yet pronounced, shudder or bucking when lightly accelerating or cruising at very light throttle and low speeds, say 20-30mph? Ours has exhibited this since day one, but I have to say it's gotten worse... I hadn't driven the Jeep in a few days and hopped back in for the commute to work this morning and was shocked at how aggressive the bucking sensation was
    2018 JLU-R
    Bright White

I now have about 4k on the odometer and can't say that I've ever experienced anything like you've described. Are running bigger tires or still stock? Have you taken your Jeep into the dealership to have them look at it? If so, what are they telling you it is?

Caught the Bug
    We're at 3000 miles without this issue. Good luck. Let us know what the dealer says.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

Fresh Catch
    Unfortunately, our dealership has a rubber stamp that reads "Customer states _________________________, cannot reproduce symptoms." We might as well not even have a dealership once you sign the paperwork, because they sure as &*# don't have a service department. But, I digress, that is a rant for a different day

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer the question - I'm running 37" KO2's, but it also did this dead stock. Noticed it on the test drive, actually, but thought maybe I was just being over sensitive to the new powertrain, coming from a well-loved 2009 JKU-R...
    Last edited by tobyw; 05-07-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added tire size info
    2018 JLU-R
    Bright White

Quote Originally Posted by tobyw View Post
    Unfortunately, our dealership has a rubber stamp that reads "Customer states _________________________, cannot reproduce symptoms." We might as well not even have a dealership once you sign the paperwork, because they sure as &*# don't have a service department. But, I digress, that is a rant for a different day

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer the question - I'm running 37" KO2's, but it also did this dead stock. Noticed it on the test drive, actually, but thought maybe I was just being over sensitive to the new powertrain, coming from a well-loved 2009 JKU-R...
    Okay, so based on what you've stated, is it safe to assume this only happens from time to time? I know you said this happened stock but is your speedometer calibrated to your 37's?

Fresh Catch
    No, speedo isn't calibrated to the 37's, and I am *hoping* that is at least part of the issue...

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer AGAIN No, unfortunately the issue is consistent, every time, every drive, but only under the right circumstances. Either very light consistent throttle, particularly up a slight incline such as roaming through our neighborhood, or during very light acceleration such as around a parking lot. I'm sad to say I still don't have any trail miles on it yet so I can't comment on how it reacts in the rocks.
    Last edited by tobyw; 05-07-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    2018 JLU-R
    Bright White

No, speedo isn't calibrated to the 37's, and I am *hoping* that is at least part of the issue...

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer AGAIN No, unfortunately the issue is consistent, every time, every drive, but only under the right circumstances. Either very light consistent throttle, particularly up a slight incline such as roaming through our neighborhood, or during very light acceleration such as around a parking lot. I'm sad to say I still don't have any trail miles on it yet so I can't comment on how it reacts in the rocks.
    Okay, if it's consistent, I'm kinda confused as to how your dealership can say that they can't reproduce the condition. I would ask to have a tech do a ride along and have you re-created the condition for them. With that said, I would definitely have your speedo calibrated as that may address things.

Anyone else experiencing a slight, yet pronounced, shudder or bucking when lightly accelerating or cruising at very light throttle and low speeds, say 20-30mph? Ours has exhibited this since day one, but I have to say it's gotten worse... I hadn't driven the Jeep in a few days and hopped back in for the commute to work this morning and was shocked at how aggressive the bucking sensation was
    Iíve experienced this several times pulling into my garage. Very light throttle going up a slight incline into the garage is the only time Iíve experienced it. It hasnít happened going 20 mph. My jeep is still stock. It feels like the transmission is slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    I have noticed mine does it every once in a while if I slow down to below 25 mph and go to accelerate slowly it feels like itís slipping

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TFD View Post
    Iíve experienced this several times pulling into my garage. Very light throttle going up a slight incline into the garage is the only time Iíve experienced it. It hasnít happened going 20 mph. My jeep is still stock. It feels like the transmission is slipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandikes96 View Post
    I have noticed mine does it every once in a while if I slow down to below 25 mph and go to accelerate slowly it feels like itís slipping
    The next time this happens to you guys, could you look and see what gear you're in and let us know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast