Shudder / Buck on Light Throttle

tobyw

Anyone else experiencing a slight, yet pronounced, shudder or bucking when lightly accelerating or cruising at very light throttle and low speeds, say 20-30mph? Ours has exhibited this since day one, but I have to say it's gotten worse... I hadn't driven the Jeep in a few days and hopped back in for the commute to work this morning and was shocked at how aggressive the bucking sensation was :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I now have about 4k on the odometer and can't say that I've ever experienced anything like you've described. Are running bigger tires or still stock? Have you taken your Jeep into the dealership to have them look at it? If so, what are they telling you it is?

YAHAHA

We're at 3000 miles without this issue. Good luck. Let us know what the dealer says.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

tobyw

Unfortunately, our dealership has a rubber stamp that reads "Customer states _________________________, cannot reproduce symptoms." We might as well not even have a dealership once you sign the paperwork, because they sure as &*# don't have a service department. But, I digress, that is a rant for a different day :(

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer the question - I'm running 37" KO2's, but it also did this dead stock. Noticed it on the test drive, actually, but thought maybe I was just being over sensitive to the new powertrain, coming from a well-loved 2009 JKU-R...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, our dealership has a rubber stamp that reads "Customer states _________________________, cannot reproduce symptoms." We might as well not even have a dealership once you sign the paperwork, because they sure as &*# don't have a service department. But, I digress, that is a rant for a different day :(

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer the question - I'm running 37" KO2's, but it also did this dead stock. Noticed it on the test drive, actually, but thought maybe I was just being over sensitive to the new powertrain, coming from a well-loved 2009 JKU-R...

Okay, so based on what you've stated, is it safe to assume this only happens from time to time? I know you said this happened stock but is your speedometer calibrated to your 37's?

tobyw

No, speedo isn't calibrated to the 37's, and I am *hoping* that is at least part of the issue...

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer AGAIN :eek: No, unfortunately the issue is consistent, every time, every drive, but only under the right circumstances. Either very light consistent throttle, particularly up a slight incline such as roaming through our neighborhood, or during very light acceleration such as around a parking lot. I'm sad to say I still don't have any trail miles on it yet so I can't comment on how it reacts in the rocks.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, speedo isn't calibrated to the 37's, and I am *hoping* that is at least part of the issue...

***EDIT*** Forgot to answer AGAIN :eek: No, unfortunately the issue is consistent, every time, every drive, but only under the right circumstances. Either very light consistent throttle, particularly up a slight incline such as roaming through our neighborhood, or during very light acceleration such as around a parking lot. I'm sad to say I still don't have any trail miles on it yet so I can't comment on how it reacts in the rocks.

Okay, if it's consistent, I'm kinda confused as to how your dealership can say that they can't reproduce the condition. I would ask to have a tech do a ride along and have you re-created the condition for them. With that said, I would definitely have your speedo calibrated as that may address things.

TFD

Anyone else experiencing a slight, yet pronounced, shudder or bucking when lightly accelerating or cruising at very light throttle and low speeds, say 20-30mph? Ours has exhibited this since day one, but I have to say it's gotten worse... I hadn't driven the Jeep in a few days and hopped back in for the commute to work this morning and was shocked at how aggressive the bucking sensation was :icon_crazy:

I’ve experienced this several times pulling into my garage. Very light throttle going up a slight incline into the garage is the only time I’ve experienced it. It hasn’t happened going 20 mph. My jeep is still stock. It feels like the transmission is slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Mikeandikes96

I have noticed mine does it every once in a while if I slow down to below 25 mph and go to accelerate slowly it feels like it’s slipping

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve experienced this several times pulling into my garage. Very light throttle going up a slight incline into the garage is the only time I’ve experienced it. It hasn’t happened going 20 mph. My jeep is still stock. It feels like the transmission is slipping.

I have noticed mine does it every once in a while if I slow down to below 25 mph and go to accelerate slowly it feels like it’s slipping

The next time this happens to you guys, could you look and see what gear you're in and let us know?

tobyw

Played around with it a little more last night, as I was heading up a short but steep hill a few miles from our house. I was going ~30mph, indicator read 4th gear, RPM was steady and the exhaust note never changed. However, it felt like someone was just tapping the brake pedal, almost like the stability control was doing something? It's not a vibration or anything like that, it's a marked front-to-back jerky motion just like a light, and very quick, brake application and there is no other indication of drivetrain changes (gears, RPM, etc). Almost seems to be an electronic control issue?

With regard to my dealer not being able to reproduce the issue, I haven't even taken it to them yet. I've had several Dodge/Jeep vehicles over the years and just know their program... I wanted to put this out here to see if anyone else had similar issues and maybe already had a fix/flash/update from their dealer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Played around with it a little more last night, as I was heading up a short but steep hill a few miles from our house. I was going ~30mph, indicator read 4th gear, RPM was steady and the exhaust note never changed. However, it felt like someone was just tapping the brake pedal, almost like the stability control was doing something? It's not a vibration or anything like that, it's a marked front-to-back jerky motion just like a light, and very quick, brake application and there is no other indication of drivetrain changes (gears, RPM, etc). Almost seems to be an electronic control issue?

With regard to my dealer not being able to reproduce the issue, I haven't even taken it to them yet. I've had several Dodge/Jeep vehicles over the years and just know their program... I wanted to put this out here to see if anyone else had similar issues and maybe already had a fix/flash/update from their dealer.

Hmmm. You know, your problem may just be a traction control issue. Are you 100% sure that your steering wheel is centered? If it isn't, your computer may think you're in a slide in certain situations and that would definitely trigger your brakes to tap the way you're describing.

jrzJL

Yes. I have had this happen 2 times now. Both on flat road and easing up to a red light. Felt like I was rear ended. My JLUR is currently at the dealer being looked at. They will have it all week. Will keep everyone posted.

Onlyone

In the morning, right after switching to drive, when I take off it seems to buck or surge....like the throttle is really touchy. The next stop sign, it’s all gone. I have noticed that the JL throttle is super touchy compared to the JK. I actually really like the response compared to my JK. Just seems strange first thing in the morning.

tobyw

In the morning, right after switching to drive, when I take off it seems to buck or surge....like the throttle is really touchy. The next stop sign, it’s all gone. I have noticed that the JL throttle is super touchy compared to the JK. I actually really like the response compared to my JK. Just seems strange first thing in the morning.

That sounds like the same thing I've got going, and now that you mention it the symptoms do seem to be more dramatic when it's dead cold and I'm just easing out of the neighborhood... but, it's still there after a 30 mile loop through the woods, too so I've got something else going on I'm afraid.

jebjkey

Stock JLU Sport S and I have the same issue going 20-30 mph with very light throttle. I have not tried the dealership yet, but I would expect the same stupid "unable to recreate" comment. I have two Subaru's that do the same thing also. It happens at 10-20 mph and they have a CVT but the feeling is the same. The Subaru's are both new and have gotten better with miles (they are at ~2500 miles now).

Last edited: