JL sport s build

BillArnett

Less than 1500 miles and I already need a new windshield.

Same thing happened to me last week with only 300 miles on my new JL and on my way to get my new tires installed I got a big rock impact. Can’t be fixed. Still waiting for the glass shop to get the new one in.

AZ EXPLORER

One Step Closer

You all know what this box is. Used a 15% coupon for up to $200.00 off any Mopar parts purchase... so $1295.00. I felt that was a pretty good bargain, and the Dealer here had like, 11 of them in stock.
Really good instructions. Even if the install seems really easy, they're still nice to have. Still deciding tires and wheels. maybe I'll put it on next weekend or the one after that. Should be fun.

IMG_0526.jpg

AZ EXPLORER

View attachment 3303

All I need is in front of me.

Looks good. A manual by the look of the shift lever. Gotta be fun, I had to get an automatic so the wife can drive it too. She can do it if she has to, but hates having to. I still have my CJ-5 though so at least I will be able roll around with a stick once in a while... whenever it's finished that is.

AZ EXPLORER

Stuff

Picked up the Mopar tailgate brace and tire carrier brackets to raise the spare up to fit a 35. Super easy install.
Also, with the tires in at Discount and wheels hopefully tomorrow... I knew I need to be able to calibrate everything. Took Eddie's recommendation and picked up a JL Tazer.
The Tazer will be worth it just to turn off the auto start/stop feature.
Pics of tires and wheels as soon as I have them. Even if the wheels are delayed, the lift kit is going in this Saturday.
Pretty exited about all of it.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

AZ EXPLORER

Arghhh.

Stopped at Discount today and had a bit of an issue. Not with Discount, but their vender. Apparently, even though my sales guy called and verified stock and sent all the correct info, the vender now says wheels aren't available and are out of stock/backordered. I was going to get the Method 312 17x9 in bronze, but that is now a no go. The wheels are in a container ship and wouldn't be in until mid August... maybe.
So, we found a solution and chose another wheel that I liked also in a 17x9 with the same backspacing. They are a KMC XD132 RG2. They only have 4, so I hope they all show up and are in good condition. The spare is backordered for about a month so I'll have to live with that.
The rings are supposedly removable, so when all the wheels are in, I will likely have the rings powder-coated with a metallic red. I've seen that done with the KMC Machete wheels and it looks really good.
I should mention the tires. I went with Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 315 70-17 (35 12.50-17). Those were in and I looked them. Just as cool in person as in pics.

The failed/cancelled wheels
Method_Race_Wheels_MR312_Bronze_Matte_Black_Lip_2048x.jpg

Now on order
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.16.40 PM.jpg

For giggles, a stock photo of the tires
1.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Those XD132s look nice. :thumb: What's the backspacing on those? You could always powder coat the center bronze if you wanted. I was looking at the Method 106 Bronze beadlocks, but the backspacing is 3.5 which is a little less than I'd like to do.

AZ EXPLORER

Those XD132s look nice. :thumb: What's the backspacing on those? You could always powder coat the center bronze if you wanted. I was looking at the Method 106 Bronze beadlocks, but the backspacing is 3.5 which is a little less than I'd like to do.

The specs say 4.53, so basically four and a half. Should be perfect, I hope.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
These right here....

attachment.php

Look way sweet!! :thumb:

AZ EXPLORER

Busy Weekend

It was a busy weekend for sure. Got the lift done and I can say it was probably the easiest lifts I have ever installed. That said, it still took a lot of extra time because I only had hand tools. I was wore out by the end of it, and a little sore too.

It was still very much worth it compared to the $500.00 at least, that anyone wanted for the install. I probably would have done it myself anyhow but I like to get estimates to see how much I'm saving.
It rides like stock and hopefully when the wheels arrive and are installed with the tires, it will still be so.

Very happy with it so far. I did one small mod though. I didn't like how the front liners covered the shocks which looked bad to me, but also makes dealing with the upper bolt a bit of a pain. So, I trimmed it out a little to mimic the way they are on the JK. I am happy with the way that turned out as well.

If you are following this, you may notice the Wrangler hood decals. I forgot to post about those when I got them. Light metallic grey with a red outline. Wasn't sure about the grey centers as opposed to the flat black but I wanted to something a little different. I have seen some Rubicon lettering that looked like it might be grey, so thats were I came up with the idea. The people who have spoken to me about it had had good things to say about how it looks.

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The decals look nice... on the hood and the fender. Love the roller skate look with the stock wheels. LOL. When are your new Wheels due to arrive?

AZ EXPLORER

The decals look nice... on the hood and the fender. Love the roller skate look with the stock wheels. LOL. When are your new Wheels due to arrive?

Thank you Sir! Discount is said wheels should be in this week, as long as there's no damage to any of them. There were only 4 that they had access to in the whole country. My spare will be at least a month or two out.

LauraRose

Your JL is really coming together nicely, looking fwd to see it with the wheels and tires!

Laura Rose from PA

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Sir! Discount is said wheels should be in this week, as long as there's no damage to any of them. There were only 4 that they had access to in the whole country. My spare will be at least a month or two out.

Bummer about the spare taking so long but eager to see what your new wheels and tires look like on your JL :thumb:

AZ EXPLORER

That was faster than I expected.

Got a call while I was at lunch today that my 4 wheels were in. Wasn't expecting them this quick so that was a surprise... a good one at that.

Small hiccup, the wheel sensors are not working so we'll have to sort that out later. Other than that, all is good. Ride is spectacular. Tires roll smooth and are balanced well. Took some pics to show how they look and also how far they stick out past the fenders. They stick out just the right amount for my tastes. I will need to get some adjustable track bars at some point but it's not off enough where most people would notice.

The tires are overall about 33.75 inches... a little smaller than I hoped for but seem right for the amount of lift that I have.
For folks looking at wheels the specs on these are 17x9 with a 4.53 B. S. or -12 offset. Remember this is a sport and the wheels are inset about half an inch per side compared to the Rubicon, so they would stick out a bit further on one of those.

Now I am going to review Eddie's video on the Tazer JL again so I can set my speedo.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg