Flash drive finally playing music via USB ports!

Fugi888

Hey everyone. Fugi here. 1st post to these forums. Thanks for having me here.

I have had my JLU Sport S for 3 weeks now and no matter what I did, I could not get the USB ports to play music from a flash drive.
My 32gb would not work, my 16gb would not work and that was after formatting both the flash drives multi times in all different formats.
I wrote to Jeep Wave Premium Care and they were very nice to work with me. They told me what size/format/file types were recommended but still could not get the flash drives to work/recognize.
I decided to try 1 more flash drive that I had for work. 2gb drive, formatted the drive, put 1 song on and BAM! It worked.
"OK Fugi what did you do this time different" I asked myself. So I tried the EXACT same thing again with my other 2 drives and NOTHING!
Turns out the other 2 flash drives were USB 2.0 and the working one was USB 3.0.
So in my conclusion the uConnect (7" screen is what I have) will only read USB 3.0 or 3.1 flash drives. I went to Best Buy and picked up a 32gb USB 3.1 (pictured) and it is working great! It is super small and compact and only cost me $11.
Hope this helps anyone else with this issue. 20180504_170208.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Fugi, welcome to JLWRANGLER! Also, thank you for posting up about your experience with flash drives. I'm sure this will be helpful to others :thumb:

happygil78

I am having the issue of my Uconnect taking forever to read the thumb drive and setting up to play music like normal. When I first go into it, it plays the first song on the thumb drive. Then after 10-15 minutes, it will have it where I can choose other songs. I do have roughly 20GB of music on the 32GB thumb drive. Are you having this issue?

Fugi888

I am experiencing the "1 song" issue as well but only on occasion. Sometimes it plays the 1st song on the drive and other times it picks up on the song where I left off. When it plays the 1st song on the drive I have noticed it is scanning the drive but it only takes about 1 minute or so.
What type of flash drive and what version USB (i.e. 3.0 or 3.1) mine is 3.1 with about 20gb of music as well and maybe that is why it scans faster??? That's the only thing I think it could be.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

happygil78

Yeah.... this made me scratch my head for a bit.... then it clicked. 3.1 usb is the way to go.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
I have the same exact drive as you. My Uconnect is having other issues as well. After taking it to the dealership, I am having to wait for the software update to see if it fixes my Uconnect issues. Hopefully then it will start to read the thumb drive faster like yours.

Sent from my SM-N950U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

SRQgunner

I have had my JLU Sport S for 3 weeks now and no matter what I did, I could not get the USB ports to play music from a flash drive.
My 32gb would not work, my 16gb would not work and that was after formatting both the flash drives multi times in all different formats.
I wrote to Jeep Wave Premium Care and they were very nice to work with me. They told me what size/format/file types were recommended but still could not get the flash drives to work/recognize.
I decided to try 1 more flash drive that I had for work. 2gb drive, formatted the drive, put 1 song on and BAM! It worked.
"OK Fugi what did you do this time different" I asked myself. So I tried the EXACT same thing again with my other 2 drives and NOTHING!
Turns out the other 2 flash drives were USB 2.0 and the working one was USB 3.0.
So in my conclusion the uConnect (7" screen is what I have) will only read USB 3.0 or 3.1 flash drives. I went to Best Buy and picked up a 32gb USB 3.1 (pictured) and it is working great! It is super small and compact and only cost me $11.
Hope this helps anyone else with this issue. View attachment 2310

Do you leave the USB plugged in? I don't think it would have an effect on battery but wanted to ask.

YAHAHA

Our USB in the console works but every time you start the Jeep it gives an error and we have to unplug the drive and plug it back in.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

MrGiant

Hope this helps anyone else with this issue. View attachment 2310

Welcome and thanks for your detailed description!
When I got my JL I put my old 2.0 usb stick in the dash usb slot. Although it was a very small stick, the cover was that high and exposed that I was afraid to rip it off. So I went and bought the smallest stick I could find....the same one as you. But to come to your initial problem, all my usb sticks, mostly 2.0, work just fine

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

NFRs2000NYC

Thats odd. From the testing I have seen, the USB A ports (the traditional shape USB ports) on FCA products are currently 2.0 standard, not the newer 3....so your solution is great, but I don't think that's what fixed it.

Arrowhead

Just a word of caution, people have had an issue of dash and shiftier lights not shutting off. The general consensus is leaving something plugged into the USB port keeps the computer from going to sleep - and ultimately draining your battery if left in that state long enough. It's kind of random and the only way to stop it is to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery. I had that issue for months until I just stopped leaving the USB plugged in and the problem went away Who knows, maybe you won't have that problem but just something to watch for.

MrMischief

Although it was a very small stick, the cover was that high and exposed that I was afraid to rip it off. So I went and bought the smallest stick I could find....the same one as you.

Does that stick pictured in the original post, SanDisk Ultra Fit, allow that cover to close over the top of it?