Mopar lift JL JLU Jeep Wrangler

PaulNY

So, I am getting my Mopar 2" lift installed this week, and still haven't decided on which size tire to install on my JLU Rubicon. My Rubi is my DD, and while I want to keep a somewhat compliant ride, I also want to ensure I am able to go where I want, when I want off-road. Are there many compromises when jumping up to a 37" from a 35"? Is it really worth it for the 1.5"-2" additional lift depending on tire selection? I remember reading somewhere that the 2" Mopar lift with 35's still gives you full articulation, whereas the Mopar 2" lift and 37's will rub and limit full travel?

13_gecko_rubi

So, I am getting my Mopar 2" lift installed this week, and still haven't decided on which size tire to install on my JLU Rubicon. My Rubi is my DD, and while I want to keep a somewhat compliant ride, I also want to ensure I am able to go where I want, when I want off-road. Are there many compromises when jumping up to a 37" from a 35"? Is it really worth it for the 1.5"-2" additional lift depending on tire selection? I remember reading somewhere that the 2" Mopar lift with 35's still gives you full articulation, whereas the Mopar 2" lift and 37's will rub and limit full travel?
Depending on the tire and wheel offset you can get close to full articulation with the 2" and 37s. Worst case add a small bump stop extension to limit uptravel/rubbing. As a DD the .5-1" limit on uptravel to maintain compliant ride is probably worth it. I've seen a JLU Rubicon with 37" BFG KM2s and 5.25 bs on an 8.5" wide wheel and mopar 2" lift and it all clears barely. The tires just kiss the fenders at full flex. Not enough to hurt anything.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I lived in your neck of the woods, I might stick with 35's if only because they'll give your JL a more aggressive look, will improve it's performance on the trail, shouldn't require new gears and won't rob as much MPG. Of course, I'll be running 37's but then, this is what I do.

PaulNY

If I lived in your neck of the woods, I might stick with 35's if only because they'll give your JL a more aggressive look, will improve it's performance on the trail, shouldn't require new gears and won't rob as much MPG. Of course, I'll be running 37's but then, this is what I do.

Valid points, and I agree that 35's should give me a great overall balance of off-road capability, and on road friendliness regarding MPG and drive-ability. Would you simply put 35's on the stock Rubi wheels which are 7.5" wide, or would you go with the Mopar bead locks which are 8" for the 35's?

And, I had no doubt that you would be running 37's :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Valid points, and I agree that 35's should give me a great overall balance of off-road capability, and on road friendliness regarding MPG and drive-ability. Would you simply put 35's on the stock Rubi wheels which are 7.5" wide, or would you go with the Mopar bead locks which are 8" for the 35's?

And, I had no doubt that you would be running 37's :D

For MOST people, there really is no need for beadlock wheels. If anything, a narrow wheel will help a lot to hold the bead of a 12.50 wide tire. Way back in the day, we used to call this a poor mans beadlock. Of course, there are plenty of great wheels that can be had for less than a beadlock.

JLU_RUBI

The advantage of beadlocks on a JK platform ( aside from the BEAD LOCK part ) was that they were almost the only wheels that had a 3.5-3.75" BS that many of us wanted without having to go to full width axles and without having to run spacers. I'm interested to see if a 4.5" BS wheel is a batter fit now on these wider axles or if a 3.5" BS is still going to offer the best option for large tires. Ive heard that the tires on the factory wheels tuck nicely into the rear fenders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The advantage of beadlocks on a JK platform ( aside from the BEAD LOCK part ) was that they were almost the only wheels that had a 3.5-3.75" BS that many of us wanted without having to go to full width axles and without having to run spacers. I'm interested to see if a 4.5" BS wheel is a batter fit now on these wider axles or if a 3.5" BS is still going to offer the best option for large tires. Ive heard that the tires on the factory wheels tuck nicely into the rear fenders.

Well, we're gonna try running the 37x13.50's we're getting on wheel with 4.75" of back spacing.

RMC2

Well, we're gonna try running the 37x13.50's we're getting on wheel with 4.75" of back spacing.

But when are you gonna do this. And what lift. The wife is a little peeved at me since I have a brand new in box 3" Enforcer that 1 probably will not work and 2. Is probably too tall on a JL anyway.

I am still waiting to see how my JKUR issues turn out though.

Cruuzer

I got my lift installed today with the 315’s installed, the jeep had a whopping 167 miles on it when the kit went on.

The kit has tons of clearance, almost a bit too high. So far no rubbing at all and the ride is amazing...

What do you think, I’m still feeling like getting wheels?

Attachments

• A1F4D3DB-1306-45D7-950B-575CDE1DF783.jpg
    A1F4D3DB-1306-45D7-950B-575CDE1DF783.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
IMHO, it looks perfect. That clearance is good and required for serious off-road capability. To me, function IS form. That's in the DNA of the Wrangler's styling. Plus, 35's are just right. You don't lose much power, but with that package, you ground clearance and breakover angle are outstanding. It looks like it is ready to tackle the most challenging trails....because it IS.

AZ EXPLORER

I think it looks great. Looking at that same lift and 35's which are really close in size.
To me, wheels make the vehicle, it's a major part of the personality of the vehicle. That said, the current factory wheels are nice on yours.

And mine...
lO0np2j.jpg

Cruuzer

Thank guys,

Really appreciate the input, i love making little changes over time as it keeps it fresh

I just added Baja designs lights on the cowl and a rigid 10” light bar ont he factory mopar winch guard.

Ill update with some pics on that soon