manual tranny re-gear?

We have now heard from Eddie and a couple others that a re-gear with the new 8-speed auto is not necessary in the Rubicons for 37's.

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm the same sentiment with new 6-speed manual transmission or not.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
We have now heard from Eddie and a couple others that a re-gear with the new 8-speed auto is not necessary in the Rubicons for 37's.

I was just wondering if anyone can confirm the same sentiment with new 6-speed manual transmission or not.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

It’s not a new trans and I’m guessing it’s doable but won’t be ideal. Gonna be the same as the jk.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I'm pretty sure the manual transmission is new for the JL and the gearing inside of it is lower. Being that I haven't driven one yet, I can't say for sure but I would imagine it wouldn't be too bad with 37's.

The gear ratios for the Aisin D478 manual transmission are (with the JK's NSG370 in parenthesis for comparison):
Reverse: 4.49 (4.06)
1st: 5.13 (4.46)
2nd: 2.63 (2.61)
3rd: 1.53 (1.73)
4th: 1 (1.25)
5th: .81 (1)
6th: .72 (0.797)

The ratio of 4.49 / 5.13 is about the same as 33 / 37. Therefore, after moving to 37's is going to feel about like moving the car in reverse.

Reverse should feel about the same as moving a stock JK wrangler rubicon in reverse (but a little worse).

And then of course, 5th should feel about the same at 6th, in terms of gearing, but you will be losing some HP because of the extra weight on your wheels.