Rugged Radio- Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have one of their handheld units but would love to install a hard mounted one in my JL. Like you, I can't for the life of me figure out where to put one or at least, as of yet. That or a CB.

GrayBeard

Just found this. Think I'll try it. Mounts to center of windshield at the loop. Says takes less than 15 minutes. Then run wires behind plastic windshield trim. Looks like quick clean install. Guess we'll see [emoji848]Screenshot_20180428-121034.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just found this. Think I'll try it. Mounts to center of windshield at the loop. Says takes less than 15 minutes. Then run wires behind plastic windshield trim. Looks like quick clean install. Guess we'll see

Take a hard look at your JL at this point before you order anything. The JL looks NOTHING like the JK does here and I don't think this option will work.

GrayBeard

Take a hard look at your JL at this point before you order anything. The JL looks NOTHING like the JK does here and I don't think this option will work.
Ok thanks, I was wondering the same thing, however, they (Extreme Terrain) said it will work on the JLs. If not it goes back on their dime. Figured it's worth a try. Not many other options yet[emoji53]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Already ordered it, but double checking now with them, customer support says it will fit, hmmmmm

Well, I honestly hope that I'm wrong and it does work. Please let us know once you get yours and install it. :yup:

GrayBeard

Well, I honestly hope that I'm wrong and it does work. Please let us know once you get yours and install it. :yup:
I definitely will 🤞🤞[emoji106]

Customer service was very nice and said if it doesn't fit they will pay to have it shipped back. They further stated they have a JLUR and "should have" test fitted it, for it to show it will fit, that's how it's suppose to be done.

Last edited:

GrayBeard

Well, Rugged Ridge/Omix got back to me this morning and advised Extreme Terrain is WRONG. The Rugged Windshield CB Mount will NOT work[emoji34]. They stated there is no footmans loops under the plastic housing.

I sure wish companies honestly researched before they post that a parts fits[emoji53]

Back to the drawing board, still looking for ideas, [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Screenshot_20180430-082202.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Rugged Ridge/Omix got back to me this morning and advised Extreme Terrain is WRONG. The Rugged Windshield CB Mount will NOT work[emoji34]. They stated there is no footmans loops under the plastic housing.

I sure wish companies honestly researched before they post that a parts fits[emoji53]

Well, I hate to say I told you so especially being that I was hoping I was wrong. I think the problem is that most companies honestly just don't have a clue.

GrayBeard

Well, I hate to say I told you so especially being that I was hoping I was wrong. I think the problem is that most companies honestly just don't have a clue.
I agree, I was hoping you were wrong as space/surfaces are limited for mounting a radio in the JLs. I hadn't pulled off the windshield cover to see what was under there. I have sent info to that company advising them of their error in advertising and requested a return label and full refund.

Maybe someone will fabricate a mount that would work/fit there on the JLs, or I'll just go with a hand held Rugged Radio.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, I was hoping you were wrong as space/surfaces are limited for mounting a radio in the JLs. I hadn't pulled off the windshield cover to see what was under there. I have sent info to that company advising them of their error in advertising and requested a return label and full refund.

Maybe someone will fabricate a mount that would work/fit there on the JLs, or I'll just go with a hand held Rugged Radio.

Jeep really did a great job of refining the interior of the JL but almost to a fault. A handheld Rugged is what I'm using for now.

Mikeandikes96

Back to the drawing board, still looking for ideas, [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

View attachment 2244

Seems extreme terrain has been quick to say JK products fit the JL but haven’t tested it! Came close to ordering a bumper from them but didn’t pull the trigger because it was meant for a JK

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app