Bfg km3

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you elaborate between going 12.50 and 13.50 for a JLU with heavy bumpers, winch, etc? Things I like, the way they look and their added toughness. Things I don’t, fair bit heavier (9lbs a tire) and only 0.3” of actual width difference. What was your rationale when going to 13.50? Just wondering if it’s a technical thing or just looks oh so good lol

Me personally, I really like having a wider footprint as I personally feel they are an advantage on the rocks. You just have more surface area to grab onto things. Of all the 13.50's I've run, I have found the STT Pros to be one of the widest. Aside from that, I think they look a lot better too. Granted, I've run 15.50 wide tires on 40's in the past and they look really badass but at that point, they're a bit too wide. As far as weight goes, I've never been too concerned with that. Unsprung weight is actually nice to have on the rocks and if you're worried about MPG, I can guarantee you that it won't have nearly as much of an affect on it as rolling resistance will have from your tread.

BTW, not sure where you're getting that 0.3" width difference but it sure doesn't look like it to me. At least, not when looking at JeepFan's 12.50's to my 13.50's. What I can tell you is that there's about a 0.3" difference between a Cooper 13.50 and a Toyo 13.50 though - this is something I have measured.

NFRs2000NYC

Lol man you don’t make things easy. I will probably go with the 13.50s, I just can’t pass up on how good they look. Hopefully the diesel will “honey badger don’t care” about the weight lol.

BTW, offtopic, but greetings from southern Nevada. Changed our flight from San Francisco to Vegas. Going to lake Powell and the canyons instead! I’ll bring my Jeep back out here in October, and thanks for all your help.

Deezus

Lol man you don’t make things easy. I will probably go with the 13.50s, I just can’t pass up on how good they look. Hopefully the diesel will “honey badger don’t care” about the weight lol.

BTW, offtopic, but greetings from southern Nevada. Changed our flight from San Francisco to Vegas. Going to lake Powell and the canyons instead! I’ll bring my Jeep back out here in October, and thanks for all your help.
I only went with 12.50s because most car washes won't accept anything wider.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The difference isn't huge but it is definitely visible if you're standing in front of both and looking at them side by side.

You can't really tell from this photo but the JL on the left is Tony's and he's running 12.50's and the one on the right is mine with 13.50's.

20180331204622-396ec7fd-me.jpg

No kidding, welcome to the Silver State! I think you made the right call on skipping Tahoe. The smoke from all the fires has been pretty bad up here.

Danny

Regarding the KM I loved that tire. It wasn't perfect, but it suited my needs. My set never needed rebalancing untill the end of their usable life. Then came the KM 2's. Maybe the KM3's come out fine. Perspective is a fine thing. Especially when you are at the mercy of a manufacturer warranty. Has anyone dealt with the Cooper warranty due to issues? Those STT's sound to be on the winning side.

Sent from my SM-T550 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited: