Bfg km3

YAHAHA

Anybody looking forward to the release of the tires this summer?

Ever since we got stuck in the mud with our AT KO2s, I've been considering swapping tires. We mostly drive on the street but hit some woodsy trails with mud every couple months or so.

The tires I was considering are: BFG MT, Duratracs, Cooper STT pro & KM3s.

BFG MT: Our 2018 JKRR had the BFG MTs and they weren't too loud when new on the road. I've had these on our F150 and know that over time, you can hear the from a few blocks away. They did well in shallow mud and in a straight line in the snow.

Duratracs: we have these on our TJ & F150. These are the best all around tires, including snow, I've ever had. They do reasonably well in mud unless it gets too thick & sticky.

STT Pros: a lot of people love the Coopers. Still high on my list.

KM3: It looks like BFG took a page from Goodyear's book when designing these. The pattern isn't an exact match but they took the Duratrac concept and made their own version. I'm not sure these are going to work as well in the mud as the previous version. My guess is that they will perform similarly to the Duratracs.
IMG_5190.JPGIMG_5191.JPGIMG_5192.JPG

Opinions? Is anybody here thinking of giving these a try?

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

JTCO

Meme King

Ever since we got stuck in the mud with our AT KO2s, I've been considering swapping tires. We mostly drive on the street but hit some woodsy trails with mud every couple months or so.

BFG MT: Our 2018 JKRR had the BFG MTs and they weren't too loud when new on the road. I've had these on our F150 and know that over time, you can hear the from a few blocks away. They did well in shallow mud and in a straight line in the snow.

Duratracs: we have these on our TJ & F150. These are the best all around tires, including snow, I've ever had. They do reasonably well in mud unless it gets too thick & sticky.

KM3: It looks like BFG took a page from Goodyear's book when designing these. The pattern isn't an exact match but they took the Duratrac concept and made their own version. I'm not sure these are going to work as well in the mud as the previous version. My guess is that they will perform similarly to the Duratracs.

I've tried the original KMs, the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and the Coopers. Truthfully, I don't see the KM3s looking that similar to Duratracs, maybe a little. The Duratracs have a ton more siping and I can honestly say these are probably the best tire I've seen in rain and snow. The original KMs were HORRIBLE in snow. I was not happy with them at all. I had Discount sipe them which improved, but they're still nowhere near as good as the Cooper STT Pros I run now. If you don't live where it snows, I would run the original KOs again, I was happy with them other than snow performance.

My Jeep sees mostly trails and I'm sticking with the STT Pros, they are awesome tires in regards to offroad performance. As far as the Duratracs, those are on my wife's Jeep and she is on the road more often, we will be getting another set of Duratracs for hers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
BFG makes a good looking tire and they typically wear like iron but off road, they've never done that great for me. Rubber compound tends to be on the hard side and their sidewalls tend to be thin. Of course, the upside to thin sidewalls is that they do offer a nicer ride but then, a lot of good that does when you have a flat.

YAHAHA

Looking at reviews on the STT for mud and snow. Good reviews so far in the shallow mud. I would like to know if anybody has run them in deep mud (6"+) as well as deep snow. Saw a review of them floating on deep snow but for daily driving in Chicago winters, I don't plan to air down to 10PSI or lower.

Last edited:

YAHAHA

Has anybody installed these on their Jeep yet? We're really interested in feedback on this new tire.

Post them up if you've got them!

NFRs2000NYC

I love everything about the STT pro in terms of looks, they seem to be excellent offroad, but on road, I'm having a hard time finding reviews of them in terms of noise, handling, braking, and wet weather/slush performance. My duratracs have served me very well, but they dont offer them in 37s and that's what I want to run on my JL when the time comes. The K02s do come in 37s, but again, they look small for their size, they are very expensive, performance seems to be overall good but not spectacular, etc. Hopefully some Cooper owners can chime in with their thoughts on the tire in around town, highway, and wet pavement conditions. I realize it is a MT tire, but it seems like tire tech advances and many things that plagued mud tires back in the day have been improved....by how much though, only people that have run lots of MTs and ATs would be able to tell....and sadly I ain't one of them people.

Bsimon187

I love the stt pros on road and off. They aren't too loud and offer a good ride. I've had duratracs, trail grapes, and MTR's. The Cooper are my favorites so far. Only thing that would make me change to the km3 would be to get the 39's. I know I know it's not a common size and should probably go for a 40 stt pro.

I'm running the 37x13.50r17's.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

I love the stt pros on road and off. They aren't too loud and offer a good ride. I've had duratracs, trail grapes, and MTR's. The Cooper are my favorites so far. Only thing that would make me change to the km3 would be to get the 39's. I know I know it's not a common size and should probably go for a 40 stt pro.

I'm running the 37x13.50r17's.

How would you compare the coopers with the duratrac ON road?

NFRs2000NYC

They are comparable. I do frequent 8 hour drives and no issues. Work great in the rain, not too loud, doesn't seem to have any wired pulls. They are probably my favorite tire I have had overall.

What made you choose the 13.50s over the 12.50s? Seems like the contact patch difference is 0.3" according to specs but they are 9lbs heavier than the 12.50s....and are E rated, so Im having trouble with pro/con of each size....one the surface, it *seems* the 13.50s have more cons than pros over the 12.50, but again, I may be missing something.

Bsimon187

What made you choose the 13.50s over the 12.50s? Seems like the contact patch difference is 0.3" according to specs but they are 9lbs heavier than the 12.50s....and are E rated, so Im having trouble with pro/con of each size....one the surface, it *seems* the 13.50s have more cons than pros over the 12.50, but again, I may be missing something.

Getting all technical on me. They were cheaper and in stock. :) Plus the 13.50's give it a wider look.

Deezus

View attachment 2172View attachment 2173View attachment 2174

Was gonna but then saw that they were $441 a tire for 37s. Way too much IMO. My cooper's, and not just saying this because everyone else likes them, are super quiet, completely a blackwall and look so hot...
A 37/12.50/17 was $288 each.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I love everything about the STT pro in terms of looks, they seem to be excellent offroad, but on road, I'm having a hard time finding reviews of them in terms of noise, handling, braking, and wet weather/slush performance. My duratracs have served me very well, but they dont offer them in 37s and that's what I want to run on my JL when the time comes. The K02s do come in 37s, but again, they look small for their size, they are very expensive, performance seems to be overall good but not spectacular, etc. Hopefully some Cooper owners can chime in with their thoughts on the tire in around town, highway, and wet pavement conditions. I realize it is a MT tire, but it seems like tire tech advances and many things that plagued mud tires back in the day have been improved....by how much though, only people that have run lots of MTs and ATs would be able to tell....and sadly I ain't one of them people.

They are not as loud as other tires I have run. Granted I have only driven a JL with Coopers and the JL’s are super quiet. I can’t compare to the trail or mud grapplers because my jee is loud as hell but I will say the Coopers aren’t any louder than the factory BFG’s.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What I can say is that I have run both and while the Cooper STT Pros are quite for a MT, they won't be as quiet as a Duratrac. Otherwise, their on-road manners are great or at least in my opinion and I like how they don't have the crazy radial pull to the left like Nitto Trail Grapplers have. If you live in an area where you get snow, I have also found the STT Pros to perform the best of any MT.

NFRs2000NYC

What I can say is that I have run both and while the Cooper STT Pros are quite for a MT, they won't be as quiet as a Duratrac. Otherwise, their on-road manners are great or at least in my opinion and I like how they don't have the crazy radial pull to the left like Nitto Trail Grapplers have. If you live in an area where you get snow, I have also found the STT Pros to perform the best of any MT.

Can you elaborate between going 12.50 and 13.50 for a JLU with heavy bumpers, winch, etc? Things I like, the way they look and their added toughness. Things I don’t, fair bit heavier (9lbs a tire) and only 0.3” of actual width difference. What was your rationale when going to 13.50? Just wondering if it’s a technical thing or just looks oh so good lol