Winch in Stock Plastic (Not Steel) Bumper?

abeggs

Warn Winch on stock plastic bumper

I bought a Warn 8000 vr winch with Rusty’s offroad winch plate. Question- has anyone cut their stock plastic bumper to fit the winch into. Meaning, but the top of bumper to drop the winch plate and winch into and then cut the front of the bumper to allow the synthetic rope to come out.

I’ve ordered the Mopar Rubicon metal bumper but wondering if I truly need the metal bumper since I may be able to make the plastic bumper work.

My Jeep - 28 JLU Rubicon 4 door.

Allen B
2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
You'll have to do some searching, but somebody on this forum cut their plastic bumper and was able to fit a warn PowerPlant (which is huge) very nicely.

JTCO

Meme King
I bought a Warn 8000 vr winch with Rusty’s offroad winch plate. Question- has anyone cut their stock plastic bumper to fit the winch into. Meaning, but the top of bumper to drop the winch plate and winch into and then cut the front of the bumper to allow the synthetic rope to come out.

I’ve ordered the Mopar Rubicon metal bumper but wondering if I truly need the metal bumper since I may be able to make the plastic bumper work.

My Jeep - 28 JLU Rubicon 4 door.

Allen B
2018 JLU- Rubicon- Firecracker Red

Merged here.

Jeeeep

Thread revival!

Glad i found this, going to try and cut the plastic bumper to fit; if all fails will order the steel bumper :thumb:

Camelot

From a functional standpoint you don’t need the number for the winch. Legally on the other hand, depending on your state, you need a bumper.

MrGiant

Nice fit and clean work. But its still that daaaaark grey plastic

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

Danny

I’m looking for a completely hidden winch designed bumper. Like the one available from boostwerks engineering on the xj. Has anyone seen this kind of mount for a JL? The winch is behind the license plate. IMG_0610.JPGIMG_0609.JPG

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass

austinscatena

Why thank you, sir!! I've done similar on a couple of my JKU's over the years, because I'm one of those wierdo's that actually thinks the lines of the stock bumpers match the Jeep pretty well, and for the majority of the wheeling I do it's not a hindrance.

Here are a couple shots of the progression as I fabricated the winch plate and hacked the stock bumper, if anyone is interested:

View attachment 2152

View attachment 2153

View attachment 2154

View attachment 2155

View attachment 2156

View attachment 2157

What did you use to cut the plastic bumper?