Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JL Rubicon towing 3500 GVWR trailer

Caught the Bug
    We have a truck just to tow a horse trailer. Would love to be able tow 5000 puonds with a JL Rubicon so I could get rid of the truck. My wife tows the horse trailer about three times a year for about fifty miles. So having a truck year round is kinda expensive. She drives about 90 miles a day at 13 miles to the gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by wibornz View Post
    We have a truck just to tow a horse trailer. Would love to be able tow 5000 puonds with a JL Rubicon so I could get rid of the truck. My wife tows the horse trailer about three times a year for about fifty miles. So having a truck year round is kinda expensive. She drives about 90 miles a day at 13 miles to the gallon.
    I feel your pain as we have the same situation with our horse/camping trailer & truck. 5000# would be sketchy in a Jeep though. I wouldn't chance it. The risks involved far outweigh the benefits. Running out of brakes once would be a disaster let alone the stability issues involved.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wibornz View Post
    Iíve towed with a JK. Iíd be willing to fudge a little on the 3500 limit, but not very much. 5000 is way too much, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar

JL Rubicon towing 3500 GVWR trailer

Quote Originally Posted by phljeeper View Post
    I recommend staying within tow ratings. The wrangler is max 3500lb. That Coachmen is 4500lb dry and you probably add 500-800lb worth of gear putting you over 5000lb on a 3500 vehicle. That can create a dangerous situation on the road. The engine isnít the issue, itís the wheelbase and chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Coachmen is 3,446 pounds dry, and Iíve towed it. I know what it does.

http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...aspx?LineID=62

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12