What is the point of a powertank?

NFRs2000NYC

Im curious, other than speed of inflating tires (I get it if you are in a time sensitive situation like a race,) what is the point? Takes up a whole bunch of room, need to get it filled, etc, is it to run air tools?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Im curious, other than speed of inflating tires (I get it if you are in a time sensitive situation like a race,) what is the point? Takes up a whole bunch of room, need to get it filled, etc, is it to run air tools?

LOL!! There is no other point or at least, not that I know of. If there were, I'd be carrying one. Back in the day, you could say to run air tools but now that there are so many great battery powered tools, there's no need for them. Also, trying using it to run air tools and see how long it lasts. Trust me, I have trying to repair a broken axle housing and it didn't last nearly as long as I needed. Of course, there's that need to PAY to have it refilled over and over and over again and for what, just to air up a bit faster than your buddies that you still have to wait for? :crazyeyes:

Strike Force Zebra

Supporting Advertiser
We bought one to go to SEMA with. We had decibel restrictions on noise so we couldn’t ( at the moment) run our ARB compressor for Air Command. Little did we know that everyone else ignores the DB restriction. Airing up with it is pretty fast. I can’t get the regulator to not Ice up. I have a mount coming this week to see if we can mount it and see if we can do both

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used to think if I had a trailer I would buy one but I think I would rather just add an air tank that I could hook up to a compressor. They are “cool” to say you have, that’s about it.

This^^^ For how big they are, I'd rather install an air tank to charge up with a compressor.

We bought one to go to SEMA with. We had decibel restrictions on noise so we couldn’t ( at the moment) run our ARB compressor for Air Command. Little did we know that everyone else ignores the DB restriction. Airing up with it is pretty fast. I can’t get the regulator to not Ice up. I have a mount coming this week to see if we can mount it and see if we can do both

LOL @ DB restrictions at SEMA :cheesy:

Figured. Basically obsolete tech. Would rather mount a small mini smoker for some trailside pulled pork. lol

See, now that's what I'm talkin about :thumb:

Taxman

I’ve had one for 10 or 11 years and still use it regularly. However, I installed a Viair complete system in my JK including a 2.5g tank mounted where the stock muffler went. I ended up using the OBA system for myself and the Powertank for other people because it’s really easy to move around. I still use the PT at home whenever I need to top off or fill the tires during winter when pressure goes down. That being said, I’ll probably install another OBA system in my JLUR whenever it shows up. But I’ll probably still take my PT with me on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Trail Bud

Best thing about them is you can reseat the bead on tire in the middle of no where with the tire still mounted.
Another negative is you have to recertify the tank every 4-5 years for safety

NFRs2000NYC

Best thing about them is you can reseat the bead on tire in the middle of no where with the tire still mounted.

Can't you do the same thing with a flammable liquid and a lighter?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You can reseat a bead with a PowerPlant too. I've done it. The key is to have the wheel off the ground or off the Jeep :yup:

Can't you do the same thing with a flammable liquid and a lighter?

You mean like this?

You still need to have the wheel off the vehicle and if you've gone that far, a good compressor will get the job done too.

NFRs2000NYC

You, exactly like that. The gentleman in the video also knew to do the key thing, and that's to have the air be able to escape. I once saw someone that "inflated" their tire like this, and didn't realize that as the air cools, it contracts, and basically vacuum packs itself instead. Great video.

Sgt Beavis

A thread arises from the dead....

First off, there is some great information in this thread with some good opinions.

I'm still seriously considering a powertank myself. Besides using it on the trail, I would use if for the occasional keg or even purging my home sprinkler system for winter. Even my shop compressor seems to have problems doing that. One other advantage I can think of is that a tank has vastly fewer moving parts and is probably less likely to fail. In my research I found that Way To Grow in North Denver that will recharge a 10lbs tank for $15.

My only question on the Powertank is whether I can mod it later to power some air lockers? That is a future mod I'm planning to do when I regear my JLUS.

Alternatively I may go for the ARB dual compressor.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

First off, there is some great information in this thread with some good opinions.

I'm still seriously considering a powertank myself. Besides using it on the trail, I would use if for the occasional keg or even purging my home sprinkler system for winter. Even my shop compressor seems to have problems doing that. One other advantage I can think of is that a tank has vastly fewer moving parts and is probably less likely to fail. In my research I found that Way To Grow in North Denver that will recharge a 10lbs tank for $15.

My only question on the Powertank is whether I can mod it later to power some air lockers? That is a future mod I'm planning to do when I regear my JLUS.

Air lockers just need air to operate and I'm sure it can be done but it sure seems like a lot of work for something that'd need to be plumbed to wherever you store your tank and then of course, you'd have to make it removable being that you'll have to keep filling up the tank.

13_gecko_rubi

I've seen many vehicles with powertanks running lockers. They dont use a lot of air. Most folks run them with small ones and keep a spare tank with them. U could use the big tank just as easily. You need to have a regulator to control the pressure to the lockers

Sent via....

SouthTxJLU

I have 2 trucks, the Jeep and a 4R. It's always easy to just throw the tank in whichever one I'm using. Plus it was fast airing up 42's with monster valves, I hate waiting. That being said, the JL is getting onboard air.