Please Welcome Z Automotive to JLWRANGLER!

Got my direct-ordered unit in yesterday (note: would have been nice to tell is veterans about the 10% offer when I was completing my order on your website šŸ˜’). I tried installing the SGW module, but the lack of pictures and the fact that I apparently canā€™t reach up there and disconnect anything unless I have the hands of a five year old kind of leave me with a $350 non functional piece of plastic. šŸ™

It is a real bitch to get in there. If I didn't have long fingers, I'd be SOL. Of course, I am SOL anyway because I can't get that bleeping clip to disconnect on the left plug. I'm wondering if removing the lower dash panel would improve access at all?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It isn't easy to unplug the SGW connectors. I found it easiest to do without looking and just feeling for them with my left hand. I just reached up, used my index and middle finger to depress the release tabs and then used my thumb to help hold the wires and then pulled straight down. The SGW needs to be bypassed to make the programmer work and I would imagine that would be the case with any programmer.

It isn't easy to unplug the SGW connectors. I found it easiest to do without looking and just feeling for them with my left hand. I just reached up, used my index and middle finger to depress the release tabs and then used my thumb to help hold the wires and then pulled straight down. The SGW needs to be bypassed to make the programmer work and I would imagine that would be the case with any programmer.

Yeah, I did all that. I'm going to take a break from it until Saturday morning, when I'm rested and more patient. I did get a good grip on it and a solid press on the clip. I'm really not sure what else I can do with it.

I'm betting the Mopar/Jeep dealer programmer has a code and can do it without unplugging those things. However, I don't want to go that route because all I'll be able to do is adjust for tires and maybe adjust the TPMS. I want much more than that, starting with the ESS disable. That ESS is becoming my number 1 most hated automotive feature of all time. I can't stand it.

Kogar

I want much more than that, starting with the ESS disable. That ESS is becoming my number 1 most hated automotive feature of all time. I can't stand it.

Ditto. My wife hates it, and for those of you in ā€œhotā€ states, youā€™ll notice the effect on the A/C immediately when it shuts off. No thanks.

I will continue this endeavor later this weekend. If anyone else has better pics of the location of these connectors, Iā€™d love to see it. The one posted earlier still isnā€™t very clear to me šŸ™

Rhinebeck01

Ditto. My wife hates it, and for those of you in ā€œhotā€ states, youā€™ll notice the effect on the A/C immediately when it shuts off. No thanks.

I will continue this endeavor later this weekend. If anyone else has better pics of the location of these connectors, Iā€™d love to see it. The one posted earlier still isnā€™t very clear to me ļæ½ļæ½

Suggest you view these pics on a computer and not on a smart phone

Look behind the OBDll port and you will see the 2 connectors that you need to disconnect, circled
Image1.jpg

Here is a pic of the 2 connectors plugged into the SGW module
20180426_194230.jpg

Last edited:

ncbmx64

Does the in motion bypass only allow the Nav to work. I can't seem to get my apple car play to allow me to scroll through my Pandora stations while in motion.

I tried again today to pull that wire plug. No luck. I get plenty of movement on the clip. It just won't come out. :thinking:

I pushed it back in as far as it can go, even with the help of a flat head screw driver. No movement. There is zero play in it, so I can't get it to stop hanging up on the plastic release tab.

I'm wondering if waiting for hot weather might help? I could park in the sun, windows up, and let the inside get good and hot. Maybe that will expand the plastic enough to change the fitment a little?

BillArnett

I tried again today to pull that wire plug. No luck. I get plenty of movement on the clip. It just won't come out. :thinking:

I pushed it back in as far as it can go, even with the help of a flat head screw driver. No movement. There is zero play in it, so I can't get it to stop hanging up on the plastic release tab.

I'm wondering if waiting for hot weather might help? I could park in the sun, windows up, and let the inside get good and hot. Maybe that will expand the plastic enough to change the fitment a little?

Or heat it up with a hair dryer?

I worked it for about an hour and a half today and finally got it! I had to use a long handled pick and a long handled, curved surgical clamp. I could also be a yoga champ now, too, after contorting over and over again under the driver's side footwell. I'm 6'5, so you'd probably have to see it to believe it.

Anyway, it is in and it works great! Now, where is the feature that continues to cool the engine a couple minutes after shut down and where is the winch mode?

I'm close on the tire size, but have to tweak it a little tomorrow. DING DONG THE ESS IS DEAD! The ESS kill is probably my favorite feature! Love it! I also like Nav in Motion.

Let us know when the next firmware update takes place and what it will have! Thanks!

Zevulin

I worked it for about an hour and a half today and finally got it! I had to use a long handled pick and a long handled, curved surgical clamp. I could also be a yoga champ now, too, after contorting over and over again under the driver's side footwell. I'm 6'5, so you'd probably have to see it to believe it.

Anyway, it is in and it works great! Now, where is the feature that continues to cool the engine a couple minutes after shut down and where is the winch mode?

I'm close on the tire size, but have to tweak it a little tomorrow. DING DONG THE ESS IS DEAD! The ESS kill is probably my favorite feature! Love it! I also like Nav in Motion.

Let us know when the next firmware update takes place and what it will have! Thanks!

Iā€™ve been following your plight, nice to hear you finally did it! [emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JamesDirt67

Here's a question I don't think anyone has asked yet. On Z Automotive's website, it says the JL Tazer is capable of " Enable Cargo/front/uncercarriage Camera input". So am I to understand that there is a jack for an additional camera, possibly on the back of the radio? And if so, is it the usual RCA-style that cameras use?

13_gecko_rubi

Here's a question I don't think anyone has asked yet. On Z Automotive's website, it says the JL Tazer is capable of " Enable Cargo/front/uncercarriage Camera input". So am I to understand that there is a jack for an additional camera, possibly on the back of the radio? And if so, is it the usual RCA-style that cameras use?
The tazer leverages fact that same radio is used on other FCA vehicles with a 2nd camera to enable it. You can attach a second camera, it is not a normal rca jack.

Sent via....

SSBattalion

Hi all, just got my Tazer Lite..looking forward to using it once I get on 37's. I notice it does not come with the bypass piece like the regular Tazer. I was wondering why, why on the regular you need the bypass piece but not on the Lite version? I'm not complaining, its a simpler install, but wondering why no need to bypass. Thank you

Shadowfire

@Z_Auto

snipe:

Ok, here is a question I have not asked you yet. :cool:

Say I "marry" my TazerJl to my JL and do all the feature set-up and such I want... Now, a month down the road and I am going to take the JL to the dealership. I want to unmarry the TazerJL before I go to the dealer. I also will remove both TazerJL modules. Ok, I known when I unmarry, the JL goes back to factory settings.. BUT.. when I remarry that same Tazer JL to my JL will all the setting that I had set-up before unmarrying be pushed to the JL or do I have to set-up all again?

I have my ideas but...

Thanks in advance for your reply, Joe!

Wondering this myself...pay the dealer $150 to enable my new aux/towing setup or get the Tazer and do it myself and some...?

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Rhinebeck01

The Tazer JL that was released in March 2018. It was the very first programmer offering for the JL.

The Tazer JL is comprised of two modules. The Tazer JL itself and companion, bypass module.

After the Tazer JL came the Tazer JL Lite.. This offering had the Tazer JL and the bypass module built into one single module. The Tazer JL Lite does not allow you to program the same feature set as the Tazer JL. The features are limited. BUT...Yes, for an additional $125 you can get a code to upgrade a Tazer JL Lite, so it has all same feature set as the Tazer JL.

Lastly came the Tazer JL Mini. It has the Tazer JL and the bypass module built into one single module. It has the same feature set as the original Tazer JL.

Reality is, the Tazer JL Mini is just a Tazer JL Lite, that ZAutomotive sends out fully enabled ... enabled so it has the full feature set just like the Tazer JL or a Tazer JL Lite that you had buy the upgrade code for at $125 and enable the Tazer JLLite yourself.

Note: ZAutomotive is selling everything on their website for 10% off on Black Friday. Use the code BLACKFRIDAY

Go here to buy directly from ZAutomotive:
https://zautomotive.com/product-category/tazer/

Mini.jpg

Last edited:

Four Flusher

heading to the dealer?

I'm going to remove my Tazer but I'm wondering if I should also un marry before I head to the dealer for a check on my steering?

Rhinebeck01

@ Four Flusher

Do unmarry the Tazer JL and also remove both the Tazer JL and the SWG bypass module.

If the dealer wants to do a pcm flash, and if you do not do the above mentioned, the flash will not be successful... and you will have the dealer poking around to find out why.

Per Joe, at ZAutomotive, if you have the SWG module that is the companion to the Tazer JL or if you have a Tazer JL Lite connected or Tazer JL Mini, the dealerships programming tool will not be able to communicate with the JL.

In closing, unmarry and remove all Tazer JL hardware. You are asking for headaches if you do otherwise.