To Kill 12v Power to the JL/JLU

Rhinebeck01

You DO want to kill 12v power before working on any electrical connections on your JL/JLU!

To kill 12v power coming from the JL/JLU's Main and ESS batteries you need to disconnect as per the picture below. One nut is a 10mm nut and the other two, are 13mm nuts.

JLpower.jpg

grounds3.JPG

Rhinebeck01

I should mention that when you re-connect 1, 2 and 3 as shown in the picture, you will get some slight sparking when you make the connection, especially the last one you connect.
This is to be expected.... so disregard the sparking... :yup:

13_gecko_rubi

If you want to isolate the positive side unhook studs 1 and 2 on the power distribution / fuse box. The studs are on the inboard side of the box towards engine. 1 and 2 are the two closest to battery.

Sent via....

Rhinebeck01

@13_gecko_rubi

On edit:

Yes, It is the two marked with the yellow X's, as you have stated ... One is main battery the other for the ESS battery.
You can actually trickle charge either the main or ESS with them.

From what I have heard so far, it's not simply wired in parallel. Yes, the negatives are both common but the positives go to two different posts (N1 & N2) in the power distribution center. There is module / ESS relay that controls when to use the ESS and when not to use. N1-Main battery, N-2 ESS battery.

If you want to isolate the positive side disconnect N1 & N2 in the power distribution box.
disbox2.jpg

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

What's weird is the schematics say C5 and C6 (ie those two) but the fuse box lid says H1 and H2. Look under it on lid. I know 1 and 2 work as I've done it a few times. Now I'm gonna have to look it up again. Did you trace the wires?

Sent via....

Rhinebeck01

What's weird is the schematics say C5 and C6 (ie those two) but the fuse box lid says H1 and H2. Look under it on lid. I know 1 and 2 work as I've done it a few times. Now I'm gonna have to look it up again. Did you trace the wires?

Sent via....

Well, to be honest with you I do not have my JL yet. I was told this info by a tech, if I remember right... N1 is main battery and N2 ESS battery. Perhaps you can check/verify and post here so others know exactly.

Do know that the ESS battery alone will start the JL even if you disconnect the main battery.

nnnn.jpg

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Right but N1 and N2 are the first two lugs not the middle ones. Look at N1-N8 in your picture then compare to studs 1-8 in previous picture. The tech probably also looked at the schematics and saw 5 and 6. But I will confirm.

As for battery yes it will start with main battery disconnected. But, if the aux battery is dead or unhooked it won't start even if main battery is full.

Sent via....

Rhinebeck01

Right but N1 and N2 are the first two lugs not the middle ones. Look at N1-N8 in your picture then compare to studs 1-8 in previous picture. The tech probably also looked at the schematics and saw 5 and 6. But I will confirm.

As for battery yes it will start with main battery disconnected. But, if the aux battery is dead or unhooked it won't start even if main battery is full.

Sent via....

Yes, I researched and corrected the pic. Please check pic that is there now. N1 and N2 have yellow X's. Thanks for verifying.