!! Track bar bracket on frame weld issues !!

Four Flusher

Eddie, since you're JL is a early build, I'm wondering if you've noted any weld issues? Especially, the front trackbar mount welds?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, since you're JL is a early build, I'm wondering if you've noted any weld issues? Especially, the front trackbar mount welds?

LOL!! I had a feeling this would get posted up sooner than later and I appreciate you taking me into consideration.

I've looked carefully at my welds ESPECIALLY in this area and so far as I can tell, the welds look good. Far from stellar mind you but better than average or at least, from what I can see. What I can't answer is how well did the welds penetrate and from the break I've seen at this point, it didn't look good.

I'd be interested in hearing what others who have a JL are seeing.

The following are NOT my photos but are what was sent to me.

3729EB33-B59E-4A8E-A565-EDF60F36C16B.jpeg

9CD73C13-78C6-44BB-9663-582175AEAB88.jpeg

C9C27D72-E51E-4DB9-8763-582A69658427.jpeg

JTCO

Meme King
Scary shit for sure. Everyone should definitely look over ALL brackets carefully but especially that upper track bar bracket.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a few shots of what our welds look like.

20180418104333-64258960-me.jpg

20180418104341-c684bb75-me.jpg

20180418104344-ccd21bd3-me.jpg

Four Flusher

I knew you'd documented the under side of your JL, And you've wheeled it hard with 37"s. You're the "go to" for real knowledge. Thanks. Mine's suppose to be built next week so I've been spending way to much time surfing.

Nosos

I've been keeping tabs on JL problems in order to decide if I wanted to buy one now or wait until they get these problems ironed out. There is an issue with the front frame side track bar bracket WELDS. I recently read about this problem and wanted let the people here know about it. This JL bracket broke off at highway speed causing total steering loss and put the owner in serious danger. This JL only had 700 miles on it. Maybe keep an eye on things just in case!

XdHMjRn.jpg

NFRs2000NYC

Not the first I've seen break. Looks like ZERO penetration. Granted, for all the JL's out there, I'd expect to see a lot more if it were really a wide scale problem.

I think like most wranglers, most are pavement queens sold to people that couldn’t spell Jeep, so they would have no clue what is going on. Any bad weld issues on a wide scale would probably manifest a few years down the road when they disintegrate. While they “hold,” I suspect the common owner would have no clue of the demons that lay beneath, but definitely time will tell. Enthusiasts will definitely keep an eye out and their lawyers on speed dial lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think like most wranglers, most are pavement queens sold to people that couldn’t spell Jeep, so they would have no clue what is going on. Any bad weld issues on a wide scale would probably manifest a few years down the road when they disintegrate. While they “hold,” I suspect the common owner would have no clue of the demons that lay beneath, but definitely time will tell. Enthusiasts will definitely keep an eye out and their lawyers on speed dial lol.

Oh, I agree with what you're saying. I just know enough people in the right places to know that they take this stuff very seriously and have been on it since the very first failures we saw. It was inevitable that there'd be more than one failure to show itself especially with some of the earliest builds but it'd be hard for me to believe that this would ever become a wide scale problem moving forward.

StingRubi19

I decided to opt out of getting a 2019 as my dealer had one incoming that had everything on it that I wanted. The order said they put it in back in May and was suppose to be put on the rail cart and shipped out on the 4th of this month.
As if last Monday they said it was still sitting on the lot in Toledo. Wonder if it being inspected for these weld issues?

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I decided to opt out of getting a 2019 as my dealer had one incoming that had everything on it that I wanted. The order said they put it in back in May and was suppose to be put on the rail cart and shipped out on the 4th of this month.
As if last Monday they said it was still sitting on the lot in Toledo. Wonder if it being inspected for these weld issues?

I doubt it. The weld issue was something we saw very early on and I know that FCA was aware of it back then. Anything you're seeing now are most likely on early builds.

StingRubi19

I doubt it. The weld issue was something we saw very early on and I know that FCA was aware of it back then. Anything you're seeing now are most likely on early builds.
Well that's a good thing to hear. I was just hoping that my impatience didnt get the best of me with not just waiting to order one and get it further down the road.
The wait is killing me for this thing to show up! Lol

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug

More than likely waiting for a train. My JL took two different trains to Utah, then a truck to Idaho.