!! Track bar bracket on frame weld issues !!

So I spent some time sufficiently freaked out by this so far today and shot some pics on my lunch. Here's my 01/18 build and the welds look good as long as there shouldn't be one around that curve.

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

Jeeper424

I read up on all the posts and videos about this subject. I think Eddie mentioned that the JL’s made in February seemed to have the issues. I bought my JL Unlimited in June. I ran out and sure enough it was made 2-17-18. Greaaaat. I checked the welds and they look like what Eddie showed us. Paint is flaking off a bit and I can feel a sharp edge on the track arm bracket where it is welded to the frame. Definitely will keep an eye on It.

Sd964

I read up on all the posts and videos about this subject. I think Eddie mentioned that the JL’s made in February seemed to have the issues. I bought my JL Unlimited in June. I ran out and sure enough it was made 2-17-18. Greaaaat. I checked the welds and they look like what Eddie showed us. Paint is flaking off a bit and I can feel a sharp edge on the track arm bracket where it is welded to the frame. Definitely will keep an eye on It.

I don't believe it is for just the early JL's. Mine was built on 7/3 and I am on the recall list. I went to the Jeep Wave site and sure enough, I am on the list.

I have been reading on other sites and have seen pictures of welds that were not aligned, or had a lot of porosity, or even had a reweld. Mine does not "appear" (I am no expert) to have any of those issues, but I will have it inspected by both the dealer and an independent shop I trust. My only concern is that it states on the recall on Jeep Wave that there are "no part available for repair". So taking it into the dealer will probably have not end result, at least for the short term.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't believe it is for just the early JL's. Mine was built on 7/3 and I am on the recall list. I went to the Jeep Wave site and sure enough, I am on the list.

I have been reading on other sites and have seen pictures of welds that were not aligned, or had a lot of porosity, or even had a reweld. Mine does not "appear" (I am no expert) to have any of those issues, but I will have it inspected by both the dealer and an independent shop I trust. My only concern is that it states on the recall on Jeep Wave that there are "no part available for repair". So taking it into the dealer will probably have not end result, at least for the short term.

Not sure what "part" would be needed. Seems to me that the weld just needs to be inspected and reinforced if needed.

DavidDJL69

I decided to opt out of getting a 2019 as my dealer had one incoming that had everything on it that I wanted. The order said they put it in back in May and was suppose to be put on the rail cart and shipped out on the 4th of this month.
As if last Monday they said it was still sitting on the lot in Toledo. Wonder if it being inspected for these weld issues?

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Sd964

Not sure what "part" would be needed. Seems to me that the weld just needs to be inspected and reinforced if needed.

That would be my assumption. That could be just a place holder by FCA until they have a fix. My guess is the Dealerships may not have a tech that would be "Qualified"/"Certified" to be welding safety components on a recall such as this. Having a Dealership mechanic welding this bracket that could possibly fail could open up FCA for a huge lawsuit. Not to say that couldn't happen with one sent by FCA. However I would assume they need to cover themselves vs a dealership mechanic.

Last edited:

StingRubi19

My VIN number is not showing any recalls on the Mopar app for the track bar bracket. My welds appear good on most of the track bar, but the welds on the back of it do appear to be questionable. They just dont look like the other welds.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That would be my assumption. That could be just a place holder by FCA until they have a fix. My guess is the Dealerships may not have a tech that would be "Qualified"/"Certified" to be welding safety components on a recall such as this. Having a Dealership mechanic welding this bracket that could possibly fail could open up FCA for a huge lawsuit. Not to say that couldn't happen with one sent by FCA. However I would assume they need to cover themselves vs a dealership mechanic.

Almost all Dealerships have body shops and they would dedicate a guy from there to reweld the brackets most likely

Sd964

Almost all Dealerships have body shops and they would dedicate a guy from there to reweld the brackets most likely

I would agree that most due. If that were the case and that simple, the fix would be to have the dealership welder reweld the bracket. I have read in other forums that in a couple cases where the track bar completely broke off, the simple fix of rewelding the track bar mount was not the case. The vehicle was bought back by FCA, and the customer received a new vehicle.

It remains to be seen what the fix would be for Jeeps that have bad welds. I guess we will just wait and see.