WRITE-UP : Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As everyone knows, changing your oil is a necessary part of routine maintenance and as luck would have it, it's also something that's super easy to do especially if you have a Jeep JL Wrangler with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar motor. Of course, for those of you who've never changed your own oil before, this write-up will show you what all you'll need, what all is involved and really, just how little you'll actually have to do.

What you will need
Mopar Oil Filter MO-349 : Part #68191349AB
(5) Quarts 0W20 Full Synthetic Oil that meets or exceeds MS-6395
• 13mm Socket
• 24mm Socket
• Ratchet
• Dental Hook or Small Flathead Screwdriver
• Oil Catch Pan
• Funnel
• Oil Filter Media
• Paper Towels

Instructions
Here’s a shot of everything you will need to change your Jeep JL Wrangler's oil. As you can see, you will need 5 quarts of full synthetic oil that meets or exceeds Chrysler MS-6395, a new filter, some basic tools and a means to collect your used motor oil.
20180412110534-0ba6ea9c-me.jpg

1. Climb underneath your JL, place a catch pan under the oil pan and then, using a 13mm socket, loosen the drain bolt.
20180412110540-25fa3af3-me.jpg

2. Use your fingers to finish unscrewing the drain bolt and allow the used oil to drain completely into your catch pan.
20180412110547-cca3f94c-me.jpg

3. Climb out from under your JL, open up the hood and then loosen the oil filter cap using a 24mm socket.
20180412110550-94e7cfbc-me.jpg

4. Using your hand, finish unscrewing the filter cap and pull it and the filter media up out of the engine as shown.
20180412110553-e419eac6-me.jpg

5. Firmly grab the filer media and pull it off of the filter cap.
20180412110557-b50dcac0-me.jpg

6. Use a dental hook tool or small flathead screwdriver to carefully pry off and remove the rubber O-Ring installed on the filter cap.
20180412110559-26bca3b1-me.jpg

7. Take the new O-Ring that came with your new filter media and install it onto the filter cap.
20180412110602-f3c71185-me.jpg

8. Install your new filter media by pushing the open end of it into the filter cap and until it snaps in place.
20180412110608-bbe4a5e1-me.jpg

9. Carefully reinstall your filter cap with new filter media attached, back into your engine.
20180412110611-fd288c5f-me.jpg

10. Using a 24mm socket, secure the filter cap in place by tightening it to 18 ft. lbs. of torque. Essentially, until it's just snug. You DO NOT want to over tighten this cap.
20180412110550-94e7cfbc-me.jpg

11. Reinstall the drain bolt using a 13mm socket and tighten it to 20 ft. lbs. of torque.
20180412110623-41070985-me.jpg

12. Remove the engine oil fill cap, insert a funnel into the fill hole and pour in 5 quarts of oil.
20180412110614-0c6ba534-me.jpg

Reinstall your engines oil fill cap and you're done! As mentioned, this is a super easy maintenance job and one that anyone can do in just minutes. Please be sure to clean up your mess and take your used oil to a recycling center. Most autoparts store or even your local dump should take your used oil free of charge. Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

Oil Life Reset:
If your JL Wrangler notified you that an oil change was required, the following steps will be needed to clear this message from your dash.

1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in vehicle Info in the instrument cluster display.

3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to 100%.

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure:
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within ten seconds.

3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the write up. It’s nice to see that everything is pretty much the same as my 15 jk.

Yup, only easier now that you don't have to remove the engine cover to get to the filter cap :yup:

Looks pretty easy. Did they change the filter again or is it the same as ‘14+?

I think it might be the same as the 14-up. Of course, Rubicat is a 12 so it's definitely different from hers.

Thanks for another well done write up. I know it will help a newby and can always be used as a refresher for anyone who needs it. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

That's what I'm hoping for :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hoping you just did to do a write-up. Remember you get 4 free oil changes at dealer

Sent via....

LOL!! I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know about the 4 free oil changes. Thanks for the heads up! That being said, yes, just like everything else, I do write-ups because it's what I do :yup:

13_gecko_rubi

LOL!! I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know about the 4 free oil changes. Thanks for the heads up! That being said, yes, just like everything else, I do write-ups because it's what I do :yup:
Don't be embarrassed. It means your dealer failed to tell you. Every 16+ Wrangler. JK or JL has Jeep Wave and you get 4 free oil changes / tire rotations in the first 2 years.

Sent via....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Don't be embarrassed. It means your dealer failed to tell you. Every 16+ Wrangler. JK or JL has Jeep Wave and you get 4 free oil changes / tire rotations in the first 2 years.

Sent via....

:cheesy: Well thank you for that! Glad to hear it wasn't my fault :crazyeyes: :D

JeepFan

Great write up! Weird how your old oil filter element was warped. I changed the oil in my JL at 1500 miles and the folds in the paper element were straight. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’m gonna have to go buy a JL oil filter to see if it’s the same as the the ‘17.

The Mopar part# is MO-349. I think it's the same on the 17 too. :yup:

Great write up! Weird how your old oil filter element was warped. I changed the oil in my JL at 1500 miles and the folds in the paper element were straight. :thinking:

I won't lie, I was a little concerned to see that. It looked as if the element were crushed - as in, it was the wrong filter and too long. I actually took a moment to make sure the bird cage wasn't damaged like we've seen on JK's.

Rhinebeck01

Well, that is best oil change post that I have seen in regard to the JL/JLU. The pictures (terrific pics) alone are worth their weight in gold to the novice.

Might I add this:

Attachments

• hh.JPG
    hh.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 103
  • hh.JPG
    hh.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

That's the best JL Oil change write-up I have seen. The pictures are very good and worth their weight in gold especially to the novice.

Oil Life Reset:

1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display

-----------

2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.

3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Attachments

• hh.JPG
    hh.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

That is the best oil change informational I have seen. The pics alone are worth their weight in gold especially to the novice!

Might I add this:

Oil Life Reset:

2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display

-

2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.

3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Last edited:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Good to see they kept the smaller oil pan that is on the grands and put it on the JL. Give you a little more clearance

13_gecko_rubi

Good to see they kept the smaller oil pan that is on the grands and put it on the JL. Give you a little more clearance
That's the pan on all the gen 2 3.6s. Only used on the grand and the JL so far. Oh and the new ram but i don't think the v6s started shipping yet on those.

Sent via....