WRITE-UP : Jeep JL Wrangler 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine Oil Change

The Mopar part# is MO-349. I think it's the same on the 17 too. :yup:

I won't lie, I was a little concerned to see that. It looked as if the element were crushed - as in, it was the wrong filter and too long. I actually took a moment to make sure the bird cage wasn't damaged like we've seen on JK's.

That's normal for the Mopar filter to be contorted like that. Go to Wal Mart and open a few of them. I opened three and they were all that way. If someone has one that is not contorted, then it likely came from an alternative supplier, or they are not consistent. I strongly suspect the Mopar is made by Purolator, as theirs are identical in every way. It really should not be a problem, although it does look abnormal.

I run a Fram Ultra Guard. It filters better, longer, and the pleats are backed by a metal framework. It is rated to 20,000 miles and will come out as straight as new. It has a rating of 99% filtration of particles down to 20 microns, which is best in the industry. Even the Mobil 1 filter, which is constructed the same way as the Fram Ultra Guard, doesn't filter that well, at 99% filtration down to 30 microns. The Mobil 1 filter is a very good option, too, but runs about 15 bucks, versus the Fram's 12. Another great option, for probably around 6 bucks is a basic Fram. There are some other good fiters out there, too.

If you don't want to sweat over it, just keep running the Mopars. They'll do fine and that 3.6 should last a very long time with them. The good news is that you can look the filter over after each oil change and really see how it holds up.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is the best oil change informational I have seen. The pics alone are worth their weight in gold especially to the novice!

Might I add this:

Oil Life Reset:

1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display

3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to 100%.

-

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure:

1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.

3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Ah, yes - thanks for the hokie-pokie reminder. I did my oil change BEFORE the dash indicator came on so a reset wasn't necessary. But yes, it would be required otherwise. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's normal for the Mopar filter to be contorted like that. Go to Wal Mart and open a few of them. I opened three and they were all that way. If someone has one that is not contorted, then it likely came from an alternative supplier, or they are not consistent. I strongly suspect the Mopar is made by Purolator, as theirs are identical in every way. It really should not be a problem, although it does look abnormal.

I run a Fram Ultra Guard. It filters better, longer, and the pleats are backed by a metal framework. It is rated to 20,000 miles and will come out as straight as new. It has a rating of 99% filtration of particles down to 20 microns, which is best in the industry. Even the Mobil 1 filter, which is constructed the same way as the Fram Ultra Guard, doesn't filter that well, at 99% filtration down to 30 microns. The Mobil 1 filter is a very good option, too, but runs about 15 bucks, versus the Fram's 12. Another great option, for probably around 6 bucks is a basic Fram. There are some other good fiters out there, too.

If you don't want to sweat over it, just keep running the Mopars. They'll do fine and that 3.6 should last a very long time with them. The good news is that you can look the filter over after each oil change and really see how it holds up.

That would be news to me and really, the first time I have EVER seen the pleats contorted that badly coming out of an engine unless it were the wrong one. While they're not perfectly straight, you can see in the photo I posted of the Mopar filter that it doesn't look anything like what I pulled out.

Toy2Jeep

Thank you

As everyone knows, changing your oil is a necessary part of routine maintenance and as luck would have it, it's also something that's super easy to do especially if you have a Jeep JL Wrangler with a 3.6L V6 Pentastar motor. Of course, for those of you who've never changed your own oil before, this write-up will show you what all you'll need, what all is involved and really, just how little you'll actually have to do.

Great write up! I am happy to see that this can easily be done and the filter is so accessible!

JTCO

Meme King
Thanks for this write-up. Just changed the oil for the first time on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator and this oil change write-up worked perfectly. Same part numbers found here :thumb:

Something I do want to add that happened on mine. After I started it, the oil is barely registering on the bottom of the dipstick. It's still in the safe range but barely. I confirmed the owner's manual says 5 quarts and that's what I put in, so be it. Part # on the dipstick confirmed to be legit too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for this write-up. Just changed the oil for the first time on my 2020 Jeep Gladiator and this oil change write-up worked perfectly. Same part numbers found here :thumb:

Something I do want to add that happened on mine. After I started it, the oil is barely registering on the bottom of the dipstick. It's still in the safe range but barely. I confirmed the owner's manual says 5 quarts and that's what I put in, so be it. Part # on the dipstick confirmed to be legit too.

Yeah, that's what I've seen as well. I'm pretty sure that JeepFan adds in 5.5 quarts just to be sure but for the purposes of this write up, I decided to stick with what factory states. And really, it's what I've been using for quite some time now and without any issues that I have seen.

Charlie314

Thanks! Big time saver!

Thanks for posting this write-up. I changed my oil today, and knowing what size metric sockets to pull out of the box sure saved me some time. My tool box is in the basement and the Jeep is in the driveway. Having the torque values helped, too. My oil drain plug was on there REALLY tight, and she was filled with 6 quarts of oil. These are the kinds of things I don't want to deal with from a dealer. 5 quarts filled it up to the top of the little fob on the dipstick! I bought a 6th quart in case I need part of it, but 5 was fine. It would have been a great day, but I bought the wrong air cleaner and cabin filter, and had to return them, then go to another store that had them. Now I know which ones to get.

Thanks a bunch.

---Charlie

SouthCo

Yeah, that's what I've seen as well. I'm pretty sure that JeepFan adds in 5.5 quarts just to be sure but for the purposes of this write up, I decided to stick with what factory states. And really, it's what I've been using for quite some time now and without any issues that I have seen.

I do appreciate all these write ups Eddie and have learned a lot from them...

Last edited:

YAHAHA

It’s great that you do all of these write-ups and install videos for the community. Thank you.

Getting ready to do the first oil change on our JLUR. The only thing I do differently is clean the oil filter cap and lubricate the new o-ring with clean oil before installing it.

It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels.

onejeepguy

Disposing of oil filter.

Great write up, thank you. I'm going to change my JL oil this weekend and plan to recycle the oil, obviously, but what about the oil filter? Do I need to/should I also recycle the filter or can that go in the trash even though there is some oil in it? Thanks!

JTCO

Meme King
Great write up, thank you. I'm going to change my JL oil this weekend and plan to recycle the oil, obviously, but what about the oil filter? Do I need to/should I also recycle the filter or can that go in the trash even though there is some oil in it? Thanks!

Do research and check your local laws on that. Many jurisdictions are different. Some areas will actually take used oil filters and recycle them.

colo_bikini

I took mine in at 1k miles for the first oil change and the dealer sent me away. Said these new ones you don't change until the light comes on telling you to do so. So I went to my user manual and it indicates the same, and has the service recommendations at 10k intervals! So far the panel has not indicated I need to change it and I heck it once a week and the oild still looks clean and is not bur in any off like my 2010. Never thought I would see a day where I could go 5500 miles and not have it be a quarter low and pitch black. Pretty amazing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app