Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beadlock Wheels

Fresh Catch

Question Beadlock Wheels

When spring is a month lake you have lots of time to research and read......

Giving beadlocks a serious look for the new JL I will be getting this fall/winter. I don't wheel but use the Jeep hard during hunting season. We call it hunting that time of the year rather then wheeling.

A few that I have found scouring online include:

-DV8, 882 in both 17" and 20", Offset=0, Bore=78.1, Weight=42 and 50 lbs.
    -Mopar, 17", Offset=+12, Bore=78.1 (?), Weight=36 lbs
    -AEV Borah,17", Offset=-4, Bore=71.5, Weight=40 lbs.
    Method 105 17", Offset=-38, Bore=71.5, Weight=39 lbs
    ProComp Vapor Pro 2 85 17", Offset=-6, Bore=83, Weight= 40lbs
    Ultra 103 Xtreme 17", Offset=-14 or +25, Bore=78, Weight= 33 lbs
    Dirty Life 9302 RR 17", Offset=-14, Bore=71.5, Weight= 34 lbs,.

With the wider axles of the JLUR and from what I read a small negative offset up to a small + offset are find.
    Are JL Hubs designed for Hubcentric wheels? Does it matter

Any feedback good or bad on any of these?

I want to stay with TPMS compatible wheels, also I like the machine look or even polished (no chrome).

DV8 are a great value while the Vapor Pro 2 are my favorite looking wheel. and Borah.

The Method is a nice option but I think to much offset causing the wheel to still to far out.

Will stop at 35" tires. No 37s. Much of my driving is on the interstate heading to the hunting grounds and it will be a daily driver.

Thanks again.

jjw
    ND
    Last edited by jweigel; 04-13-2018 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added hyperlinks to wheels

Honestly, unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or you just like the "look" of the wheels in question that bad, I would SERIOUSLY consider just getting a simulated beadlock wheel. If I didn't use my Jeep as hard as I do, there's no way I would run beadlocks as they can be a real pain to install and maintain. Of course, it's also really hard to find shops that will balance your tires with them. Just trying to save you some money and grief.

Fresh Catch

Good feedback.....

I hear ya on non-beadlocks. That makes the AEV and Mopar wheel a good choice but expensive. It is suprising how cheap some of the beadlocks actually are and thats why keep looking at them. I am not worried about install or mainancece. I have access to a heated shop with a hoist and do all my own work. For work we do a dozen new sets of Nitto Trail Grapplers each year with the same tire shop. They will work with me on whatever I need done.

Back to rims.....I have actually had a non-beadlock list along with the beadlock list. A few of the top choices I have are:

VIsion 111 Nemesis in the Machined finish available in 17,18 and 20s
    Mamba M14 in the Machined fish also available in 17,18,20. Not sure if this has a painted finish which would not work for me.
    Sendel S38 Locker in Machined Finish also in 17,18,20s
    Fuel Off-Road Savage D565 also in 17,18,20.

Should I expect these non-beadlock wheels to be atleat as tough as the Factory Mopars?

jjw
    ND

Quote Originally Posted by jweigel View Post
    I hear ya on non-beadlocks. That makes the AEV and Mopar wheel a good choice but expensive. It is suprising how cheap some of the beadlocks actually are and thats why keep looking at them. I am not worried about install or mainancece. I have access to a heated shop with a hoist and do all my own work. For work we do a dozen new sets of Nitto Trail Grapplers each year with the same tire shop. They will work with me on whatever I need done.

Back to rims.....I have actually had a non-beadlock list along with the beadlock list. A few of the top choices I have are:

Mamba M14 in the Machined fish also available in 17,18,20. Not sure if this has a painted finish which would not work for me.

Should I expect these non-beadlock wheels to be atleat as tough as the Factory Mopars?

jjw
    ND
    Well sure, they should be fine. At least, I can't imagine why they wouldn't be.

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by jweigel View Post

jjw
    ND
    The DV8 can be ran as a non beadlock also. That is why they are DOT approved. I have ran them for 2500 miles so far with no bolts coming loose.

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    The cool thing about Mopar and Dirty Life wheels is that they can be run in real beadlock mode and simulated mode, so the tire can actually sit on a built in bead and the plastic ring is basically just a rash guard against curbing your wheels, which is pretty great for casual wheelers. Seems like you get the best of both worlds with that type of wheel, and if you ever decide to upgrade your offroading program, you can simply order the metal rings, and change the wheel setup to a true beadlock. I myself am leaning towards the 9303s from DirtyLife, as I really like the way they look and they have centercaps (which is why the level8 pros are out for me)....and I know, it's stupid but I really am not a fan of the no centercap look (even back in my import days and the reason I never ran ADVAN wheels, but obviously thats just personal,) and it seems to be a wheel that has been used in some hardcore races with success. Just my .02
    Last edited by NFRs2000NYC; 05-06-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    The cool thing about Mopar and Dirty Life wheels is that they can be run in real beadlock mode and simulated mode, so the tire can actually sit on a built in bead and the plastic ring is basically just a rash guard against curbing your wheels, which is pretty great for casual wheelers. Seems like you get the best of both worlds with that type of wheel, and if you ever decide to upgrade your offroading program, you can simply order the metal rings, and change the wheel setup to a true beadlock. I myself am leaning towards the 9303s from DirtyLife, as I really like the way they look and they have centercaps (which is why the level8 pros are out for me)....and I know, it's stupid but I really am not a fan of the no centercap look (even back in my import days and the reason I never ran ADVAN wheels, but obviously thats just personal,) and it seems to be a wheel that has been used in some hardcore races with success. Just my .02
    While itís for my JK and not a JL I just ordered a set of the Dirty Life dual tek wheels. Will run them as non-beadlocks for now until I jump up to 35s.
    IMG_5806.jpgIMG_5807.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Those look fantastic, Im still undecided between the black or the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknRedJK View Post
    While itís for my JK and not a JL I just ordered a set of the Dirty Life dual tek wheels. Will run them as non-beadlocks for now until I jump up to 35s.
    IMG_5806.jpgIMG_5807.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Did you get the optional ring guards. If so, would you mind posting a few pics.

Also, how flush are the outer part of the spokes to the edge of the wheel. In one of the brochure pics, the spokes almost seem to be flush. Any pics looking at the wheel from the side?

I do like the looks of them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast