Beadlock Wheels

jweigel

When spring is a month lake you have lots of time to research and read......

Giving beadlocks a serious look for the new JL I will be getting this fall/winter. I don't wheel but use the Jeep hard during hunting season. We call it hunting that time of the year rather then wheeling.

A few that I have found scouring online include:

-DV8, 882 in both 17" and 20", Offset=0, Bore=78.1, Weight=42 and 50 lbs.
-Mopar, 17", Offset=+12, Bore=78.1 (?), Weight=36 lbs
-AEV Borah,17", Offset=-4, Bore=71.5, Weight=40 lbs.
Method 105 17", Offset=-38, Bore=71.5, Weight=39 lbs
ProComp Vapor Pro 2 85 17", Offset=-6, Bore=83, Weight= 40lbs
Ultra 103 Xtreme 17", Offset=-14 or +25, Bore=78, Weight= 33 lbs
Dirty Life 9302 RR 17", Offset=-14, Bore=71.5, Weight= 34 lbs,.

With the wider axles of the JLUR and from what I read a small negative offset up to a small + offset are find.
Are JL Hubs designed for Hubcentric wheels? Does it matter

Any feedback good or bad on any of these?

I want to stay with TPMS compatible wheels, also I like the machine look or even polished (no chrome).

DV8 are a great value while the Vapor Pro 2 are my favorite looking wheel. and Borah.

The Method is a nice option but I think to much offset causing the wheel to still to far out.

Will stop at 35" tires. No 37s. Much of my driving is on the interstate heading to the hunting grounds and it will be a daily driver.

Thanks again.

jjw
ND

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or you just like the "look" of the wheels in question that bad, I would SERIOUSLY consider just getting a simulated beadlock wheel. If I didn't use my Jeep as hard as I do, there's no way I would run beadlocks as they can be a real pain to install and maintain. Of course, it's also really hard to find shops that will balance your tires with them. Just trying to save you some money and grief.

jweigel

Good feedback.....

I hear ya on non-beadlocks. That makes the AEV and Mopar wheel a good choice but expensive. It is suprising how cheap some of the beadlocks actually are and thats why keep looking at them. I am not worried about install or mainancece. I have access to a heated shop with a hoist and do all my own work. For work we do a dozen new sets of Nitto Trail Grapplers each year with the same tire shop. They will work with me on whatever I need done.

Back to rims.....I have actually had a non-beadlock list along with the beadlock list. A few of the top choices I have are:

VIsion 111 Nemesis in the Machined finish available in 17,18 and 20s
Mamba M14 in the Machined fish also available in 17,18,20. Not sure if this has a painted finish which would not work for me.
Sendel S38 Locker in Machined Finish also in 17,18,20s
Fuel Off-Road Savage D565 also in 17,18,20.

Should I expect these non-beadlock wheels to be atleat as tough as the Factory Mopars?

jjw
ND

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hear ya on non-beadlocks. That makes the AEV and Mopar wheel a good choice but expensive. It is suprising how cheap some of the beadlocks actually are and thats why keep looking at them. I am not worried about install or mainancece. I have access to a heated shop with a hoist and do all my own work. For work we do a dozen new sets of Nitto Trail Grapplers each year with the same tire shop. They will work with me on whatever I need done.

Back to rims.....I have actually had a non-beadlock list along with the beadlock list. A few of the top choices I have are:

Mamba M14 in the Machined fish also available in 17,18,20. Not sure if this has a painted finish which would not work for me.

Should I expect these non-beadlock wheels to be atleat as tough as the Factory Mopars?

jjw
ND

Well sure, they should be fine. At least, I can't imagine why they wouldn't be.

ubbb69

jjw
ND

The DV8 can be ran as a non beadlock also. That is why they are DOT approved. I have ran them for 2500 miles so far with no bolts coming loose.

NFRs2000NYC

The cool thing about Mopar and Dirty Life wheels is that they can be run in real beadlock mode and simulated mode, so the tire can actually sit on a built in bead and the plastic ring is basically just a rash guard against curbing your wheels, which is pretty great for casual wheelers. Seems like you get the best of both worlds with that type of wheel, and if you ever decide to upgrade your offroading program, you can simply order the metal rings, and change the wheel setup to a true beadlock. I myself am leaning towards the 9303s from DirtyLife, as I really like the way they look and they have centercaps (which is why the level8 pros are out for me)....and I know, it's stupid but I really am not a fan of the no centercap look (even back in my import days and the reason I never ran ADVAN wheels, but obviously thats just personal,) and it seems to be a wheel that has been used in some hardcore races with success. Just my .02

Last edited:

BlacknRedJK

The cool thing about Mopar and Dirty Life wheels is that they can be run in real beadlock mode and simulated mode, so the tire can actually sit on a built in bead and the plastic ring is basically just a rash guard against curbing your wheels, which is pretty great for casual wheelers. Seems like you get the best of both worlds with that type of wheel, and if you ever decide to upgrade your offroading program, you can simply order the metal rings, and change the wheel setup to a true beadlock. I myself am leaning towards the 9303s from DirtyLife, as I really like the way they look and they have centercaps (which is why the level8 pros are out for me)....and I know, it's stupid but I really am not a fan of the no centercap look (even back in my import days and the reason I never ran ADVAN wheels, but obviously thats just personal,) and it seems to be a wheel that has been used in some hardcore races with success. Just my .02

While it’s for my JK and not a JL I just ordered a set of the Dirty Life dual tek wheels. Will run them as non-beadlocks for now until I jump up to 35s.
IMG_5806.jpgIMG_5807.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JAGS

While it’s for my JK and not a JL I just ordered a set of the Dirty Life dual tek wheels. Will run them as non-beadlocks for now until I jump up to 35s.
View attachment 2316View attachment 2317

Did you get the optional ring guards. If so, would you mind posting a few pics.

Also, how flush are the outer part of the spokes to the edge of the wheel. In one of the brochure pics, the spokes almost seem to be flush. Any pics looking at the wheel from the side?

I do like the looks of them. [emoji106]

RMC2

I am curious about these too. And what size bolts, 5/16, 3/8, 6mm???

Did you get the optional ring guards. If so, would you mind posting a few pics.

Also, how flush are the outer part of the spokes to the edge of the wheel. In one of the brochure pics, the spokes almost seem to be flush. Any pics looking at the wheel from the side?

I do like the looks of them. [emoji106]

NFRs2000NYC

I believe the ring guards (the plastic rings) come with the wheels. The real beadlock metal rings are a separate purchase though. I will say, that when I get them, I may ask eddie to make vynil JL logo (the ones they made for the fender) stickers so I can put them over the centercap. Would definitely purchase a set if they were willing to make em.

JL5009

When spring is a month lake you have lots of time to research and read......

Giving beadlocks a serious look for the new JL I will be getting this fall/winter. I don't wheel but use the Jeep hard during hunting season. We call it hunting that time of the year rather then wheeling.

A few that I have found scouring online include:

-DV8, 882 in both 17" and 20", Offset=0, Bore=78.1, Weight=42 and 50 lbs.
-Mopar, 17", Offset=+12, Bore=78.1 (?), Weight=36 lbs
-AEV Borah,17", Offset=-4, Bore=71.5, Weight=40 lbs.
Method 105 17", Offset=-38, Bore=71.5, Weight=39 lbs
ProComp Vapor Pro 2 85 17", Offset=-6, Bore=83, Weight= 40lbs
Ultra 103 Xtreme 17", Offset=-14 or +25, Bore=78, Weight= 33 lbs
Dirty Life 9302 RR 17", Offset=-14, Bore=71.5, Weight= 34 lbs,.

With the wider axles of the JLUR and from what I read a small negative offset up to a small + offset are find.
Are JL Hubs designed for Hubcentric wheels? Does it matter

Any feedback good or bad on any of these?

I want to stay with TPMS compatible wheels, also I like the machine look or even polished (no chrome).

DV8 are a great value while the Vapor Pro 2 are my favorite looking wheel. and Borah.

The Method is a nice option but I think to much offset causing the wheel to still to far out.

Will stop at 35" tires. No 37s. Much of my driving is on the interstate heading to the hunting grounds and it will be a daily driver.

Thanks again.

jjw
ND
I went with the AEV Borah wheels for my JLUR and got the Ring protection so I can change up the look whenever I wanted. I also have the option to convert my wheels into beadlock if I ever wanted too.

You can check it out installed on my JLUR as I have posted a thread so it gives you an idea what they look like.

I have no issues with the TPMS as they work fine..

Only in a Jeep will your truly feel the freedom in any trail..

Justin

I fricken love my dirty life wheels!!! I was going for some black rhino until my acc dude showed me this. You can get a rash ring, bead lock ring, or of course the simulated bead lock and Change when you want or need to which has me jacked!!! IMG_1250.JPG

OverlanderJL

Resident Smartass
I fricken love my dirty life wheels!!! I was going for some black rhino until my acc dude showed me this. You can get a rash ring, bead lock ring, or of course the simulated bead lock and Change when you want or need to which has me jacked!!! View attachment 6350

How do you change a standard wheel into a beadlock wheel with just a ring? :thinking: