KMC XD231 RG Race Satin Black Beadlock Wheels Rusting Bolts

13_gecko_rubi

The black wheels come with black bolts. If you get machined finish wheels, they come with what I believe are stainless or at least galvanized bolts. All my old ATX wheels have the same and they still look great after years of use.
On my machettes after a year about 1/3 Of the bolts were rusting badly and the rest were like new.

Sent via....

arcticaaron

Those wheels look great! I have the same ones on order and am wondering if the new bolts are holding up better?

JeepFan

Those wheels look great! I have the same ones on order and am wondering if the new bolts are holding up better?

So far after dozens of washes, the new bolts are doing great. I think I just got a bad batch. Post some pics of yours when you get them installed. :beer:

MR.Ty

I'm sure KMC didn't feel it was necessary to design a center cap for these wheels because they are racing wheels! LOL! Anyway, I spent hours trying to find something that would work and just as I was about to give up the search, I found a solution....

Rugged Ridge 11525.01 3" Tubular Bumper End Caps. Fit snug and I think they look pretty good too! :thumb:

I’m really glad I came across this post. I’m going to do this if I ever get bead locks. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

shotcoach

I have the same issue with these wheels. My replacement bolts are on their way! Thanks for this thread letting me know that this wasn't just me. :)

To swap the new ones for the old, rusty ones I am planning on dropping the air pressure in the tire then swapping one bolt at a time in a star pattern. Any issues doing it this way? Is there a better way to do the swap? Thanks in advance!

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
To swap the new ones for the old, rusty ones I am planning on dropping the air pressure in the tire then swapping one bolt at a time in a star pattern. Any issues doing it this way? Is there a better way to do the swap? Thanks in advance!

The only way to properly and safely do it is is to remove all air pressure, fully remove the ring and reinstall as new. This is no time to take shortcuts.

arcticaaron

I installed these same wheels recently and the allen socket fit was so tight I had to use a hammer to lightly tap it into each socket. It ended up scraping the paint off the inside of the bolts so now they are going to rust real quick. I've requested silver replacement bolts since those don't seem to have the same issue, we will see what they respond with.

The only way to properly and safely do it is is to remove all air pressure, fully remove the ring and reinstall as new. This is no time to take shortcuts.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it be ok to completely de-pressure, then replace one bolt at a time (correctly torquing of course). This is what I plan to do once the replacement bolts come in.

JeepFan

I have the same issue with these wheels. My replacement bolts are on their way! Thanks for this thread letting me know that this wasn't just me. :)

I dropped the pressure and replaced them one at a time. No issues so far.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
I don't know. Starting from fresh just seems sound to me. To be truthful, I must be sick because I like tightening the beadlock bolts in a star pattern a little at a time. Takes forever, but it's some sort of Zen. Well, that and some quality beer. Lol. Also, for some reason I interpreted the question to be diminishing the pressure rather than dropping it completely.

Last edited:

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't know. Starting from fresh just seems sound to me. To be truthful, I must be sick because I like tightening the beadlock bolts in a star pattern a little at a time. Takes forever, but it's some sort of Zen. Well, that and some quality beer. Lol. Also, for some reason I interpreted the question to be diminishing the pressure rather than dropping it completely.

I mean if you really wanna do that then go for it. Dropping the psi to zero will make it super safe and easy to do. All the other bolts we remain at torque spec and just replacing one at a time will be super safe, especially since there is no air pressure pushing out on the bead