Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Brake Controller connection

Trailer Brake Controller connection

I have found the connection for a controller on my 2018 JLU but need to find out which pin goes to what. Have a pigtail from an older Cherokee that fits but want to make shure of pin order
    Last edited by Cooknavy; 05-27-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Fresh Catch

Opps

Meant to say I'm not writing the long post again, trying to get a CB installed.

Fresh Catch

Brake controller install.

Ok I have a little more time now and can clarify my brake controller install on my 2018 JLUS with factory tow package installed.

On the upper left kick panel area I located the mopar trailer connector, it's a grey plug the accepts 4 pins. I have read, and seen on YouTube several post the the Tenkosha 3014-P connector will work with this plug, so I ordered it. Well, It does not work with the brake controller I have. I thought all brake controller have a universal plug, I was wrong. The controller I am installing is a Hoskins Insight, I went with it because I want to be able to reach my brake controls without having to move out of my driving position to do so, if I need my trailer brakes, and I need them now, especially in a oh sh!t moment, I need them now, and in easy reach. I also like the I can mount the brake percentage display where its visible. Unfortunately the Tenkosha connector does not connect to my controller. Several people use the P-3 controller, a great controller, but now appropriate for my needs. So what I did was use the Tenkosha connector to figure out the wire colors, as they are unsiversal, just like a 7way, or 4way connector wiring. Using the plug as a guide I plugged into the Mopar connector in the following order if you are looking at the factory plug in your JL and the top being where the locking tab would be you would plug in the following using .250" male spade connectors:

Upper Left: Red Wire, Brake Signal In, this is the wire the would receive the signal from you foot brake in the JL.

Upper Right: White Wire, Ground, this is the ground wire.

Lower Left: Black Wire, Battery, this is power from the battery, and it's always HOT.

Lower Right: Blue Wire, Brake Signal Out, this is brake signal out to your trailer.

My install took about an hours as I had to locate where I wanted my brake control, and display read out to go. I ultimately placed my bake control under my hand brake, and my display next to my unconnect screen (funny, back in the day we used to call that a radio), the controller brain I velcroed to the upper left kick panel.

The system works great, as in meaning my trailer brakes work perfectly, however the Jeep does not like the brake controller. When you actuate the brake controller without a trailer installed I got a bunch of warning lights, turned off the JL and they go away, hook up the trailer and hit the brake pedal and I got the same warning lights, WTF! Disconnect the trailer and turn off the JL and they all go away. The light I got are as follows:

Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System
    Electronic Stability Control Disabled

Anyone know how to make this go away, any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Great, this will help. Iím using a REDARC controller....all you see is a small knobIMG_0055.JPG

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by avnmech View Post
    Ok I have a little more time now and can clarify my brake controller install on my 2018 JLUS with factory tow package installed.

On the upper left kick panel area I located the mopar trailer connector, it's a grey plug the accepts 4 pins. I have read, and seen on YouTube several post the the Tenkosha 3014-P connector will work with this plug, so I ordered it. Well, It does not work with the brake controller I have. I thought all brake controller have a universal plug, I was wrong. The controller I am installing is a Hoskins Insight, I went with it because I want to be able to reach my brake controls without having to move out of my driving position to do so, if I need my trailer brakes, and I need them now, especially in a oh sh!t moment, I need them now, and in easy reach. I also like the I can mount the brake percentage display where its visible. Unfortunately the Tenkosha connector does not connect to my controller. Several people use the P-3 controller, a great controller, but now appropriate for my needs. So what I did was use the Tenkosha connector to figure out the wire colors, as they are unsiversal, just like a 7way, or 4way connector wiring. Using the plug as a guide I plugged into the Mopar connector in the following order if you are looking at the factory plug in your JL and the top being where the locking tab would be you would plug in the following using .250" male spade connectors:

Upper Left: Red Wire, Brake Signal In, this is the wire the would receive the signal from you foot brake in the JL.

Upper Right: White Wire, Ground, this is the ground wire.

Lower Left: Black Wire, Battery, this is power from the battery, and it's always HOT.

Lower Right: Blue Wire, Brake Signal Out, this is brake signal out to your trailer.

My install took about an hours as I had to locate where I wanted my brake control, and display read out to go. I ultimately placed my bake control under my hand brake, and my display next to my unconnect screen (funny, back in the day we used to call that a radio), the controller brain I velcroed to the upper left kick panel.

The system works great, as in meaning my trailer brakes work perfectly, however the Jeep does not like the brake controller. When you actuate the brake controller without a trailer installed I got a bunch of warning lights, turned off the JL and they go away, hook up the trailer and hit the brake pedal and I got the same warning lights, WTF! Disconnect the trailer and turn off the JL and they all go away. The light I got are as follows:

Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System
    Electronic Stability Control Disabled

Anyone know how to make this go away, any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Adding to my previous post, I'm at the dealer now. They have sent a message to FCA to see what can be done about the warning lights when I have a trailer hooked up. I had to cancel a camping trip, kids, are very unhappy, because I don't want to tow with a warning light in that clear states the vehicle is UNSTABLE and get in to an accident and be stuck with the bill from the accident, that would be a whole new kinda suck. Other that that the dealer is also looking at a few other fixes for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknavy View Post
    Great, this will help. Iím using a REDARC controller....all you see is a small knobIMG_0055.JPG

Are you getting any warning lights with this controller with a trailer attached?

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by avnmech View Post
    Adding to my previous post, I'm at the dealer now. They have sent a message to FCA to see what can be done about the warning lights when I have a trailer hooked up. I had to cancel a camping trip, kids, are very unhappy, because I don't want to tow with a warning light in that clear states the vehicle is UNSTABLE and get in to an accident and be stuck with the bill from the accident, that would be a whole new kinda suck. Other that that the dealer is also looking at a few other fixes for me.

So dealer basic stated that with the HD Tow group there is no aftermarket support, nor does FCA have a fix right now for the warning light coming on while I'm towing. SEE PIC, I'm on the phone now with FCA. FCA states they can not help me, and are going to see if I'm eligible to be escalated to a "Case Number". Just sucks that I'm paying monthly on a camper that I can not legally tow in my state, with a vehicle that I paid $895 for a HD tow group, for the whole purpose of towing. Sorry getting really, really frustrated, and angry. 1532022802206~2.jpeg

So here is my set up
    2018 Rubicon JLU with a factory tow setup.
    I replaced the stock class 2 hitch with a class 3 Draw tite Stock number 75515.
    I used a Tekonsha 3014-p wire connector from the brake controller connection (gray plug above brake pedal) too connect to a Tekonsha P3 controller .

Iím towing a 2019 ForestRiver E-Pro 19 FBS with a dry weight of about 3100lb.

I also have a Fastway E2 6k weight distribution hitch too help keep it on the road.

And yes the auto start turns off and the traction control disabled itself...I was told this is ďnormalĒ

Fresh Catch
    I wish the warning on the dash display actually would say "Traction Control Disbaled" and no "Electronic Stability Control Disabled" because its easy to explain why you would want traction control disabled while towing, but why would anyone want to drive a vehicle that is "Unstable" especially with a trailer. Just seems like something insurance can use against you if you have a accident claim.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknavy View Post
    I replaced the stock class 2 hitch with a class 3 Draw tite Stock number 75515.
    I used a Tekonsha 3014-p wire connector from the brake controller connection (gray plug above brake pedal) too connect to a Tekonsha P3 controller .

Good information. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast