Trailer Brake Controller connection

Cooknavy

I have found the connection for a controller on my 2018 JLU but need to find out which pin goes to what. Have a pigtail from an older Cherokee that fits but want to make shure of pin order

Last edited:

avnmech

Brake controller install.

Ok I have a little more time now and can clarify my brake controller install on my 2018 JLUS with factory tow package installed.

On the upper left kick panel area I located the mopar trailer connector, it's a grey plug the accepts 4 pins. I have read, and seen on YouTube several post the the Tenkosha 3014-P connector will work with this plug, so I ordered it. Well, It does not work with the brake controller I have. I thought all brake controller have a universal plug, I was wrong. The controller I am installing is a Hoskins Insight, I went with it because I want to be able to reach my brake controls without having to move out of my driving position to do so, if I need my trailer brakes, and I need them now, especially in a oh sh!t moment, I need them now, and in easy reach. I also like the I can mount the brake percentage display where its visible. Unfortunately the Tenkosha connector does not connect to my controller. Several people use the P-3 controller, a great controller, but now appropriate for my needs. So what I did was use the Tenkosha connector to figure out the wire colors, as they are unsiversal, just like a 7way, or 4way connector wiring. Using the plug as a guide I plugged into the Mopar connector in the following order if you are looking at the factory plug in your JL and the top being where the locking tab would be you would plug in the following using .250" male spade connectors:

Upper Left: Red Wire, Brake Signal In, this is the wire the would receive the signal from you foot brake in the JL.

Upper Right: White Wire, Ground, this is the ground wire.

Lower Left: Black Wire, Battery, this is power from the battery, and it's always HOT.

Lower Right: Blue Wire, Brake Signal Out, this is brake signal out to your trailer.

My install took about an hours as I had to locate where I wanted my brake control, and display read out to go. I ultimately placed my bake control under my hand brake, and my display next to my unconnect screen (funny, back in the day we used to call that a radio), the controller brain I velcroed to the upper left kick panel.

The system works great, as in meaning my trailer brakes work perfectly, however the Jeep does not like the brake controller. When you actuate the brake controller without a trailer installed I got a bunch of warning lights, turned off the JL and they go away, hook up the trailer and hit the brake pedal and I got the same warning lights, WTF! Disconnect the trailer and turn off the JL and they all go away. The light I got are as follows:

Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System
Electronic Stability Control Disabled

Anyone know how to make this go away, any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

avnmech

Ok I have a little more time now and can clarify my brake controller install on my 2018 JLUS with factory tow package installed.

On the upper left kick panel area I located the mopar trailer connector, it's a grey plug the accepts 4 pins. I have read, and seen on YouTube several post the the Tenkosha 3014-P connector will work with this plug, so I ordered it. Well, It does not work with the brake controller I have. I thought all brake controller have a universal plug, I was wrong. The controller I am installing is a Hoskins Insight, I went with it because I want to be able to reach my brake controls without having to move out of my driving position to do so, if I need my trailer brakes, and I need them now, especially in a oh sh!t moment, I need them now, and in easy reach. I also like the I can mount the brake percentage display where its visible. Unfortunately the Tenkosha connector does not connect to my controller. Several people use the P-3 controller, a great controller, but now appropriate for my needs. So what I did was use the Tenkosha connector to figure out the wire colors, as they are unsiversal, just like a 7way, or 4way connector wiring. Using the plug as a guide I plugged into the Mopar connector in the following order if you are looking at the factory plug in your JL and the top being where the locking tab would be you would plug in the following using .250" male spade connectors:

Upper Left: Red Wire, Brake Signal In, this is the wire the would receive the signal from you foot brake in the JL.

Upper Right: White Wire, Ground, this is the ground wire.

Lower Left: Black Wire, Battery, this is power from the battery, and it's always HOT.

Lower Right: Blue Wire, Brake Signal Out, this is brake signal out to your trailer.

My install took about an hours as I had to locate where I wanted my brake control, and display read out to go. I ultimately placed my bake control under my hand brake, and my display next to my unconnect screen (funny, back in the day we used to call that a radio), the controller brain I velcroed to the upper left kick panel.

The system works great, as in meaning my trailer brakes work perfectly, however the Jeep does not like the brake controller. When you actuate the brake controller without a trailer installed I got a bunch of warning lights, turned off the JL and they go away, hook up the trailer and hit the brake pedal and I got the same warning lights, WTF! Disconnect the trailer and turn off the JL and they all go away. The light I got are as follows:

Stop/Start Unavailable Service Stop/Start System
Electronic Stability Control Disabled

Anyone know how to make this go away, any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Adding to my previous post, I'm at the dealer now. They have sent a message to FCA to see what can be done about the warning lights when I have a trailer hooked up. I had to cancel a camping trip, kids, are very unhappy, because I don't want to tow with a warning light in that clear states the vehicle is UNSTABLE and get in to an accident and be stuck with the bill from the accident, that would be a whole new kinda suck. Other that that the dealer is also looking at a few other fixes for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

avnmech

Adding to my previous post, I'm at the dealer now. They have sent a message to FCA to see what can be done about the warning lights when I have a trailer hooked up. I had to cancel a camping trip, kids, are very unhappy, because I don't want to tow with a warning light in that clear states the vehicle is UNSTABLE and get in to an accident and be stuck with the bill from the accident, that would be a whole new kinda suck. Other that that the dealer is also looking at a few other fixes for me.

So dealer basic stated that with the HD Tow group there is no aftermarket support, nor does FCA have a fix right now for the warning light coming on while I'm towing. SEE PIC, I'm on the phone now with FCA. FCA states they can not help me, and are going to see if I'm eligible to be escalated to a "Case Number". Just sucks that I'm paying monthly on a camper that I can not legally tow in my state, with a vehicle that I paid $895 for a HD tow group, for the whole purpose of towing. Sorry getting really, really frustrated, and angry. [emoji35] 1532022802206~2.jpeg

Cooknavy

So here is my set up
2018 Rubicon JLU with a factory tow setup.
I replaced the stock class 2 hitch with a class 3 Draw tite Stock number 75515.
I used a Tekonsha 3014-p wire connector from the brake controller connection (gray plug above brake pedal) too connect to a Tekonsha P3 controller .

I’m towing a 2019 ForestRiver E-Pro 19 FBS with a dry weight of about 3100lb.

I also have a Fastway E2 6k weight distribution hitch too help keep it on the road.

And yes the auto start turns off and the traction control disabled itself...I was told this is “normal”

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

avnmech

I wish the warning on the dash display actually would say "Traction Control Disbaled" and no "Electronic Stability Control Disabled" because its easy to explain why you would want traction control disabled while towing, but why would anyone want to drive a vehicle that is "Unstable" especially with a trailer. Just seems like something insurance can use against you if you have a accident claim.

Cooknavy

The warnings only come on when you use the controller manual lever, after setting the controller, then restart your Jeep and everything’s back to normal

Sent from my iPhone

JLURmojito

How to prevent the warning lights when using a brake control

The warnings only come on when you use the controller manual lever, after setting the controller, then restart your Jeep and everything’s back to normal

Sent from my iPhone

THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION to install brake control WITHOUT dash error lights
To add a bit of credibility - I am a RVDA Certified Technician (camper mechanic) and work at the largest RV dealer in central Wisconsin. We install a TON of brake controls, and I have a strong electrical background and understanding. I own a 2019 JLUR with factory tow.

From what I can tell NO ONE makes a brake control wiring harness for the 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler (new body style) w/ factory tow pkg.

Curt lists one (51458)– but I have confirmed that it is incorrectly pinned and will not work.

The reason none of the existing harnesses will work is the same as the problem that plagued the 2013-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks that took tekonsha 3 years to develop a harness that wouldn’t fry the truck computer… When manually operating the brake control – the controller will send voltage back into the dark side of the brake light switch to activate the vehicle and trailer brake lights. On a 13-14 RAM, the “switch” isnt a switch… it’s a computer. Send power into it where it doesn’t belong and you got a new stinky paperweight. The harness that tekonsha developed has a diode (check valve for electrical) in-line on the brake signal wire (red). This allows the vehicle to send power to activate the brake control, but prevents the brake control from sending power back to the vehicle to activate the lights on override.

Several of you have found that the Tekonsha 3014 harness works! ...well, until your dash lit up like a Christmas tree...
The 3014 harness has the correct plug and the correct pinout - that's why it works, but it is missing the diode that is required to block the brake control from sending voltage back into the computer.
I have EVERY tekonsha quick harness in stock. I grabbed a 3014 and confirmed it to plug into my jeep. Then I pulled every harness with the correct vehicle side plugin and compared...

My findings are;

The 3014 harness is a direct fit – but does not have a diode.

The 3021 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and also does not have a diode.

The 3023 harness will not fit as it has two separate connectors. (a separate connector is used for the brake signal wire)

The 3024 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and ALREADY HAS A DIODE INSTALLED!

The 3065 harness fits – the whole pinout is messed up, it’s intended for a Ford. (the first four harnesses are all Chrysler)

Coincidently, the “fit chart” for the Curt harness (51458) that is listed for the new wrangler matches the Tekonsha 3024 “fit chart”.

I’m not a Curt fan - reasons are mostly based upon ethics with how they treat the retailers that handle their products... However, because they listed it as fitting the new JL, I contacted their dealer tech line and confirmed that the harness DOES have the required diode, and that the pinout of the vehicle plug DOES NOT MATCH their 51460 harness (same as the 3014 that "works" but messes with the dash lights). They published 51458 fit compatibility with the new JL without even confirming that it works!!!!!
To give them credit - their tech that I spoke with was very polite and provided me with the pinouts and confirmation of the presence of a diode within the brake signal wire in an educated way. (not like at the auto parts counter when you ask for a 3157 headlamp and they ask you what kind of vehicle it is for...) He was also intrigued to hear my findings - we will see if they make an addendum to the fit guide that the black and blue pins have to be swapped for the new JL...

Anyway, I have not seen a company that offers a DIRECT fit harness for the new wrangler (or even mentions making it work), so while we wait a couple years for the aftermarket to flip two wires and come up with a new part number, the rest of us can use the tekonsha 3024 harness and swap the black and blue wires. (bonus – if this harness is installed without swapping the wires, it will not cause any damage to the vehicle or controller, the controller just wont power up!)

NOW, I must add that the diode DISABLES the ability for the brake controller to illuminate the brake lights on the vehicle and trailer under override. (only an issue when using the manual "slider" button on the brake control... typically only used to setup brake controller, testing trailer brakes, and in emergent situations)
I don't want to get into legalities, so check with your own state... It is my understanding that in California (maybe some other states too) it is REQUIRED BY LAW that the brake lights illuminate any time ANY braking force is applied. If you travel through any state that has this requirement, an ADDITIONAL harness (30235) can be installed to add that functionality while maintaining the protection of the computer. The text right from Tekonshas part description "California Compliant - Our Brake Control Stop Light Adapter is designed for brake controls and/or vehicles that do not activate the stop lights on a trailer when the manual lever of the brake control is engaged. This is necessary in the state of California."

Parts needed:
Tekonsha Harness #3024
Tekonsha Brake Light Kit #30235 (only required in states that require brake lights when using override)
Proportional Brake Controller of Choice (do NOT get a timer based controller - they only to make you legal, they are not safe)

If you made it all the way to the end - thanks! I can get a little long winded, but I am very analytical and detailed...

If any of you ever need a brake controller installed for fear of modifying a harness - or need any camper related work, I am very proud of our dealership. We just had a couple guys finish their technician certification - We now have the most RVDA certified technicians at any single facility in the entire state! Not too bad for a little mom and pop shop! I am in the process of setting up a blog with technical how-to write-ups on RV related topics, a lot like this one! Check out our website if you are interested. www.greenewayrv.com

Happy Jeeping!

JTCO

Meme King
Holy fuck! I just got a flyer like this on my front door!!!! It was right next to a pizza/Chinese delivery service. Real shit. Thank you.:beer:

Jkers

To add a bit of credibility - I am a RVDA Certified Technician (camper mechanic) and work at the largest RV dealer in central Wisconsin. We install a TON of brake controls, and I have a strong electrical background and understanding. I own a 2019 JLUR with factory tow.

From what I can tell NO ONE makes a brake control wiring harness for the 2018-2019 Jeep Wrangler (new body style) w/ factory tow pkg.

Curt lists one (51458)– but I have confirmed that it is incorrectly pinned and will not work.

The reason none of the existing harnesses will work is the same as the problem that plagued the 2013-2014 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks that took tekonsha 3 years to develop a harness that wouldn’t fry the truck computer… When manually operating the brake control – the controller will send voltage back into the dark side of the brake light switch to activate the vehicle and trailer brake lights. On a 13-14 RAM, the “switch” isnt a switch… it’s a computer. Send power into it where it doesn’t belong and you got a new stinky paperweight. The harness that tekonsha developed has a diode (check valve for electrical) in-line on the brake signal wire (red). This allows the vehicle to send power to activate the brake control, but prevents the brake control from sending power back to the vehicle to activate the lights on override.

Several of you have found that the Tekonsha 3014 harness works! ...well, until your dash lit up like a Christmas tree...
The 3014 harness has the correct plug and the correct pinout - that's why it works, but it is missing the diode that is required to block the brake control from sending voltage back into the computer.
I have EVERY tekonsha quick harness in stock. I grabbed a 3014 and confirmed it to plug into my jeep. Then I pulled every harness with the correct vehicle side plugin and compared...

My findings are;

The 3021 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and also does not have a diode.

The 3023 harness will not fit as it has two separate connectors. (a separate connector is used for the brake signal wire)

The 3024 harness fits – it needs the black and blue wires swapped and ALREADY HAS A DIODE INSTALLED!

The 3065 harness fits – the whole pinout is messed up, it’s intended for a Ford. (the first four harnesses are all Chrysler)

Coincidently, the “fit chart” for the Curt harness (51458) that is listed for the new wrangler matches the Tekonsha 3024 “fit chart”.

I’m not a Curt fan - reasons are mostly based upon ethics with how they treat the retailers that handle their products... However, because they listed it as fitting the new JL, I contacted their dealer tech line and confirmed that the harness DOES have the required diode, and that the pinout of the vehicle plug DOES NOT MATCH their 51460 harness (same as the 3014 that "works" but messes with the dash lights). They published 51458 fit compatibility with the new JL without even confirming that it works!!!!!
To give them credit - their tech that I spoke with was very polite and provided me with the pinouts and confirmation of the presence of a diode within the brake signal wire in an educated way. (not like at the auto parts counter when you ask for a 3157 headlamp and they ask you what kind of vehicle it is for...) He was also intrigued to hear my findings - we will see if they make an addendum to the fit guide that the black and blue pins have to be swapped for the new JL...

Anyway, I have not seen a company that offers a DIRECT fit harness for the new wrangler (or even mentions making it work), so while we wait a couple years for the aftermarket to flip two wires and come up with a new part number, the rest of us can use the tekonsha 3024 harness and swap the black and blue wires. (bonus – if this harness is installed without swapping the wires, it will not cause any damage to the vehicle or controller, the controller just wont power up!)

NOW, I must add that the diode DISABLES the ability for the brake controller to illuminate the brake lights on the vehicle and trailer under override. (only an issue when using the manual "slider" button on the brake control... typically only used to setup brake controller, testing trailer brakes, and in emergent situations)
I don't want to get into legalities, so check with your own state... It is my understanding that in California (maybe some other states too) it is REQUIRED BY LAW that the brake lights illuminate any time ANY braking force is applied. If you travel through any state that has this requirement, an ADDITIONAL harness (30235) can be installed to add that functionality while maintaining the protection of the computer. The text right from Tekonshas part description "California Compliant - Our Brake Control Stop Light Adapter is designed for brake controls and/or vehicles that do not activate the stop lights on a trailer when the manual lever of the brake control is engaged. This is necessary in the state of California."

Parts needed:
Tekonsha Harness #3024
Tekonsha Brake Light Kit #30235 (only required in states that require brake lights when using override)
Proportional Brake Controller of Choice (do NOT get a timer based controller - they only to make you legal, they are not safe)

If you made it all the way to the end - thanks! I can get a little long winded, but I am very analytical and detailed...

If any of you ever need a brake controller installed for fear of modifying a harness - or need any camper related work, I am very proud of our dealership. We just had a couple guys finish their technician certification - We now have the most RVDA certified technicians at any single facility in the entire state! Not too bad for a little mom and pop shop! I am in the process of setting up a blog with technical how-to write-ups on RV related topics, a lot like this one! Check out our website if you are interested. www.greenewayrv.com

Happy Jeeping!

Long winded maybe, but a very well written response with credible info and obviously a lot of time in R&D. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Jdofmemi

My findings are;

Parts needed:
Tekonsha Harness #3024

Happy Jeeping!

I was sure glad to find this again. I thought it was lost when the forum got restored after the recent attack.

I do have a question though, what about a JLUR without a factory tow package?