Safety Alert!!!!!!!!!

offcamber

I would have to ponder this as well. Maybe it is a lane departure/blind spot monitor feature? If it isn’t it’s still slightly scary issue at hand. Curious as to what the fix is.

The JL doesn't have any sort of lane departure system. I have the safety group on mine, but all it does is give you an amber light in the rear view mirror when a car is in your blindspot. It will beep if you put your turn signal on to change lanes into a a car, but it does not affect your ability to enter the other lane.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The JL doesn't have any sort of lane departure system. I have the safety group on mine, but all it does is give you an amber light in the rear view mirror when a car is in your blindspot. It will beep if you put your turn signal on to change lanes into a a car, but it does not affect your ability to enter the other lane.

Ahh ok didn’t know what all was fully in the safety group. Still learning it myself with only a few miles of seat time on a test drive. Thanks!

BillArnett

According the the Owner’s Manual the JL has a feature called “dynamic steering torque”. I can’t find anything other than generalize descriptions of this idea, nothing specific to the JL. But it sure sounds like it have something to do with what the OP was seeing.

Taxman

According the the Owner’s Manual the JL has a feature called “dynamic steering torque”. I can’t find anything other than generalize descriptions of this idea, nothing specific to the JL. But it sure sounds like it have something to do with what the OP was seeing.

If you Google that, there are tons of forums and articles discussing what the OP has experienced. Mainly on Jeep Renegades and Alfa Romeos.

Nastee_C4s

Dropped the Jeep off last night and of course it wasn't having any steering related issues but once I hear anything I'll pass it along. Also there are people setting up a group through social media for all of those with this issue. So once the problem is solved we are able to relay that to the rest of the group then on to local dealerships. So if you're interested send me a message. Also through the group one of the gentleman posted this:
I'm going to call FCA tomorrow, see if they can pull debugging logs off my PCM and monitor the output of the steering pump. I almost guarantee its bugging out and shutting down instead of just lowering responsiveness like it should be

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Honestly I saw this on their YouTube page and thought maybe hammering the snot out of it stock has caused some issues.

Last night I was doing 75 w/ cruise on & came around a long bend with the wheel at 1 o’clock. It definitely seemed to be hard to go any further & I was fighting it for a minute. That said, I never felt unsafe & chalked it up to me flying in a giant box with big tires versus physics. 75 in my JK was way less comfortable and trying to compare the steering of the 2 is apples & oranges.

Honestly I saw this on their YouTube page and thought maybe hammering the snot out of it stock has caused some issues.

Last night I was doing 75 w/ cruise on & came around a long bend with the wheel at 1 o’clock. It definitely seemed to be hard to go any further & I was fighting it for a minute. That said, I never felt unsafe & chalked it up to me flying in a giant box with big tires versus physics. 75 in my JK was way less comfortable and trying to compare the steering of the 2 is apples & oranges.

Redrove the same stretch of road today. Same lane. Same exact speed in cruise control. Didn’t feel the “issue”.

Jimmyjames

The JL has an electric pump and such for steering correct? And moves the wheels according to input a sensor receives? My basic understanding of the system from reading/videos.

Wonder if it’s a “safety” so you it doesn’t allow you to over-steer so to speak and cause yourself to roll at higher speeds?

Does that make sense or did I fumble that up too much?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

I wondered the same thing. A safety feature restricting excessive steering movement at highway speeds? If so I wonder about emergency lane changes and avoidance maneuvers?

Nastee_C4s

I wondered the same thing. A safety feature restricting excessive steering movement at highway speeds? If so I wonder about emergency lane changes and avoidance maneuvers?

Lol no need to wonder, mine was doing this in a parking lot. The one thing I am wondering is if I'm not letting vehicle warm up long enough. But that being said I wouldn't think a hydraulic sys would need to be warmed up any longer than what I do.