Safety Alert!!!!!!!!!

Nastee_C4s

Just want to make people aware of an issue with the steering on some of the 18 JL Rubicons. Not sure about other models and I'm also in touch with a couple in Colorado with the same issue(18 Rubicon also). I started having issues on 4-9-18. After 2 months of ownership. Theirs started within 3 days of ownership. They took theirs in to the dealership and after flying an engineer in 1 week and 200 miles later couldn't replicate,since then they have picked the vehicle up.There is a YouTube video that they just uploaded tonight if I can I'll link it on this thread. Round 2 is mine with exact same issues. Although I was on an off ramp when my steering almost kept me from making the turn. Very scary when I was going around 50+mph. Dropping the Jeep off tomorrow and will keep you guys posted.

Joomedic

The JL has an electric pump and such for steering correct? And moves the wheels according to input a sensor receives? My basic understanding of the system from reading/videos.

Wonder if it’s a “safety” so you it doesn’t allow you to over-steer so to speak and cause yourself to roll at higher speeds?

Does that make sense or did I fumble that up too much?

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The JL does have electric steering as in place of a mechanical power steering pump. If I could guess, there might be an issue with it.

JTCO

Meme King
Electric steering assist isn't all that new and I've seen a lot of failures with the steering motors. However, pretty much every customer symptom is "no power steering." Once vehicle starts moving, the vehicle can still be steered OK even if it feels a little different.
Whereas this symptom here in this thread and in the video seems quite different. I'm interested to hear what Jeep comes up with for why it's happening. Mechanically, the steering is all connected together and should not stop in any given position especially in relation to speed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Electric steering assist isn't all that new and I've seen a lot of failures with the steering motors. However, pretty much every customer symptom is "no power steering." Once vehicle starts moving, the vehicle can still be steered OK even if it feels a little different.
Whereas this symptom here in this thread and in the video seems quite different. I'm interested to hear what Jeep comes up with for why it's happening. Mechanically, the steering is all connected together and should not stop in any given position especially in relation to speed.

I agree. I kind of wonder if the guy in the video could have manually pushed through the dead spot if needed and that he was just stopping where the power assist ended. I mean, he was going 65 MPH and turning anymore than that could have been dangerous.

BillArnett

I agree. I kind of wonder if the guy in the video could have manually pushed through the dead spot if needed and that he was just stopping where the power assist ended. I mean, he was going 65 MPH and turning anymore than that could have been dangerous.

Yeah , looking at his hand it seemed like he wasn't using much force at all.

Nastee_C4s

With mine I could. It just feels like a dead spot with no power assist. And when unexpected can be scary traveling 50+ mph. Also once you get through that hard dead spot you have full assist which causes vehicle to swerve.

Sent from my [device_name] using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Nastee_C4s

I would have to ponder this as well. Maybe it is a lane departure/blind spot monitor feature? If it isn’t it’s still slightly scary issue at hand. Curious as to what the fix is.
I wouldn't think so, because that's one of the features I didn't order for my Jeep. Besides I've owned vehicles with the lane change and vehicle avoidance systems. That apply brakes or suttle steering imputs. This seems unrelated,but I need my Jeep back in 3 weeks or I hope my loaner is another Rubicon for my trip out west.

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn't think so, because that's one of the features I didn't order for my Jeep. Besides I've owned vehicles with the lane change and vehicle avoidance systems. That apply brakes or suttle steering imputs. This seems unrelated,but I need my Jeep back in 3 weeks or I hope my loaner is another Rubicon for my trip out west.

Ah ok wasn’t sure what exactly was on your jeep. I have driven some vehicles where the lane departure is pretty intrusive. The Mercedes E class comes to mind, that’s what I was thinking of.

Taxman

So, I tried this in a 2007 Audi A8 last night on my way home and although I was fully capable of making a sharp turn at 65mph, I felt I would lose control if I went any further than I did. I have no idea how or why you'd want to make a turn that sharp and that steep going 65mph. I think it may be a safety feature that's built into the steering system. Even with highway on/off ramps, if the curve is sharp, the speed limit is generally 25 or 35mph for a reason. The broader curves on highways are not sharp turns.

I'm wondering if the Jeep will allow you to make a gradual turn at 65mph. In other words, slowly turning the steering wheel into a long curve as opposed to sharp turns. Like a progressive rate steering dampener. I guess you'd need an open area to try it out in - empty parking lot or open field.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not really sure because mine was doing this as I was trying to leave the parking lot last night. Leaving work heading to the dealership. But if so mine may be faulty.

Hmm, so even at low speeds this happens. Please keep us in the loop as to what if anything gets fixed. So far, I've got over 3,000 miles on the odometer and can't say that I've ever experienced this issue.