JL JOURNAL : LoD JL Destroyer Shorty Front Bumper & WARN Zeon 10s Install

TITAN

Really loving the Journal! I love that low stance the new JL has as well. After using it in Moad do you think it needs any more lift?

You're saying that the LED fog lamp fixtures in the metal bumper is different than the LED fog lamp fixtures in the plastic bumper? Why would Jeep do that?

That’s what Jeep did with the JK. I replaced my plastic bumper with the 10A metal bumper (similar to the JL metal bumper) and had to get different fixtures. I recon it keeps cost down for plastic bumper assembly option.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Forget if I commented on this already but it was awesome! Love the LOD bumper! Also you made that winch line install look stupid easy lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Super helpful and well done video!

Thank you sir!

Glad to hear it :)

Got it. I ordered mine with the LED package but the plastic bumper. If and when I ever get my JL, I'll take photos and report back. However, by then, I'm sure there'll be someone else ahead of me that can do it. Thanks!

LOL! I somehow doubt it. When you get yours, I'd be grateful if you could please let us know. :yup:

That's a sharp looking bumper...your JL is looking good...

Thank you :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really loving the Journal! I love that low stance the new JL has as well. After using it in Moad do you think it needs any more lift?

A bit more lift would be nice if only because the length of the JL is a bit longer. Granted, it isn't much but I swear I could feel it on obstacles that needed a bit more break over angle.

Forget if I commented on this already but it was awesome! Love the LOD bumper! Also you made that winch line install look stupid easy lol

LOL!! Practice makes perfect :crazyeyes:

RMC2

Good video. I probably should have saved money and got the plastic bumpers.

I have wanted to switch to synthetic line. Do you spool it the same as steel cable, i.e. neat coils? Or do you cross it over to keep it from pinching down between coils? If you can understand my poorly worded question.

Rellik

Very helpful video. question how do you like your cordless 90 degree ratchet? Probably a silly question as you seem to be using it a lot working on the JL.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very helpful video. question how do you like your cordless 90 degree ratchet? Probably a silly question as you seem to be using it a lot working on the JL.

I love it! I used to uses an air powered one but this one is much better and a lot quieter. I'm a big fan of Milwaukee cordless tools.

Rellik

Appreciate the info. I have a full tool box of pneumatic tools but I get tired of hearing the air compressor running all of the time. I will be looking into getting one of the cordless Milwaukee. Thank you

BillArnett

Plastic bumper removal

The construction of the stock plastic bumper is somewhat more complicated making it a bit more involved to remove:

1- the plastic "skid plate" looks like the steel one Eddie removed is held on by a bunch of those plastic tabs instead of screws; much harder to deal with. Then there's an additional steel piece underneath it the protects the sway bar disconnect motor that I presume will have to come off if you have the LoD skid plate. First you remove a couple of 16mm bolts then you slide it up off a couple of steel clips.

2- the little plastic trim piece on top between the bumper and the grill is held on with a whole much more of those plastic tabs into the bumper itself in addition to the two into the frame

3- since you can't remove the end caps of the plastic bumper it's much more awkward to disconnect the fog light connector; I had to use pliers to pull while I pushed on the tab

4- the plastic bumper is actually three big pieces, two plastic pieces and a steel one. The fog light harness is sandwiched in between the two plastic ones so you have to separate them to get it out. They're held together with 24 (!) little 7mm screws (thank god for drill drivers). Once all those screws are out it still won't come apart completely because it hangs up on the tow hooks. I was able to use a slot screwdriver to pry the plastic past the hooks. (Eight more 13mm nuts hold the inner plastic piece to the steel one; if you remove them you can salvage the red tow hooks should you think they might somehow be useful in the future.)

The LED fog lights look more like Eddie's JK ones. I don't have my LoD bumper yet but it looks like they'll fit.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The LED fog lights look more like Eddie's JK ones. I don't have my LoD bumper yet but it looks like they'll fit.

I have seen aftermarket JL LED fog light kits with brackets that differentiate between plastic bumpers and steel bumpers, rather than standard fogs and led fogs. Because of this, I am optimistic that the LED fogs off of my standard/plastic Rubicon bumper will fit the LOD Destroyer Shorty. I am looking forward to your findings.

BillArnett

The stock LED lights that come with the plastic bumper fit just fine:
IMG_0701.JPG
(Note that the light is installed upside down in the above photo; the fins should be on top.)

Also, my LoD bumper came with a pair of brackets that may be for the LED lights from the steel bumper:
Image1527384442.524634.jpg

Also, it came with no instructions. As usual, Eddie's video is a god-send.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Last edited:

BillArnett

A few more notes

* If you’re using the LoD fairlead bracket and a Warn Zeon 10-S make sure you attach the fairlead to the bracket before you install the winch. Otherwise, there’s not enough room between the winch and the bracket to install the bolts. (Other winch/fairlead combos may or may not have a similar problem.)

* The fog light wiring harness for the plastic bumper is apparently a bit different from the steel bumper one. I had to relocate the connector to the inboard side of the frame rail.

* The slotted holes for mounting the winch allow the winch to move side to side by an inch or so. Make sure you center it before tightening everything down.

* I was able to tighten the winch bolts with a socket wrench by using a universal joint adapter. That’s a lot easier than using an end wrench.

* When I was all done I had a whole bag of unused hardware from LoD. Not sure what it might be for.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LED Fog Light UPDATE
Please note that we have since found that factory LED fog lights that come in the standard plastic front bumper bolt right up to the LoD JL Destroyer Shorty Front Bumper and without any issues. We have also been told by LoD that they now offer an optional bracket you can buy that will allow you to install LED fog lights that come installed on a Rubicon steel front bumper like what we had. Below is a diagram that illustrates this.

attachment.php

:cool: