Tall Narrow Tires

jweigel

Waiting to order the diesel this fall so lots of time to plan on upgrades...in this case tires. I have about 85K on my 12 JK that is running on Nitto Trail Grappers (34"). Installed when I picked up Jeep and have 85K with 30% tread left. Love the Nittos. I also see and like the look of the Copper STT Pro. Just wish it has the size selection NTG has. I like to run tall and narrow. This works better in snow, generally a little lighter tire, and somewhat less impact on economy.

I plan on getting a new JLUR. I do read the diesel will have its one gears (not 4.10 like the gas JLUR) but in any event, I cant image it NOT having more power to overcome tires then either of the new gas engines given the tans will be the same in the diesel.

I plan on jump to at least a 35" tire as I am getting crazy life out of 34" and just replace the rear brakes (85K miles). As a general rule with 3.54 gears (Sahara) I get 17mph on the highway and its it just a little under powered for my liking. I will also very likely get new wheels. Really attracted to beadlocks. I realize these are generally heavier. But for the look, might have to compromise but no 18" beadlocks.

Choices in a 17" tire
-Nitto 35x11.5017C weight 72.6 (new load range C tire)
-STTs unless on goes to a 315 no 35s in 17. Not interested in that wide a tire

Choices in a 18" tire
-Nitto 35x11.50R17E weight 72.2
-Nitto 285/75R18E weight 70 (sweet tall narrow tire....just not a wheel size that works)

Choices in a 20" tire
-SSTs 35x12.50R20E weight 69
-Nitto 35x11.5R20E Weight 70.4
-SSTs 295/65R20E weight 69 (tallest lightest 35")

I am drawn to 37s but have to fight that off as most of my miles are cross country to the Rockies to hunt in the fall so highway performance matters. ....and 35 will get the job done for me.

If Cooper made a 37x11.50R17 or even in a 20 that was in the low 70lb range....might consider.

The load range between tires does help decide as much as weight and height. Running the air that gets a good flat contact gives a decent ride.

Not really trying to decide between SST or NTG...I like them both and it will come down to size/weight that makes the choice.

Anyone know if Cooper is planning on adding more sizes this summer?

jjw
ND

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have run both and can tell you both are great tires. Whatever you choose to go with, I would highly recommend that you stick with a 17" wheel size. It's more common and typically cheaper than an 18" or 20".

Onlyone

A 37-12.5-17 is a pretty skinny tire now a days. Also a really good daily driver size in the JLUR.

The 37” Cooper STT’s are only 75 lbs.

Last edited:

Onlyone

It is? :thinking:

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Well...sure. The taller the tire gets the skinnier they are. LOL. I know what you’re getting at though.
It seems there are a lot of bigger tires out there like 13.50s and to me 12.50’s are starting to look like skinnies as you get up in sizes 37-40 etc. I mean, hell back in the day a 31 10.50 was pretty wide. So as it goes maybe you can see where I was going with that comment.

Last edited:

BillArnett

I could tell you about the tires on my Tesla but that would be boring and irrelevant and I would be accused of being a pretentious retarded hippie fuck so I won't.

Onlyone

I could tell you about the tires on my Tesla but that would be boring and irrelevant and I would be accused of being a pretentious retarded hippie fuck so I won't.
You can tell me about your Tesla tires. I don’t care. I’ll still think you’re a lefty, pretentious, retarded hippie fuck. But we like Jeeps so that ok.

That sure got off topic fast.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh.....

And don’t be a smartass. You’re going to hurt my feeling. Then I’ll have to hurl insults at you and this entire forum. An then tell you you’re all mean assholes.........cus.....cus.....you are! Then threaten to quit and continue posting. There.

:cheesy:...........