Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HomeLink Garage Opener Odd Situation

This was a frustration for me too, but I didnít think about it sitting in the driveway with the top off which would provide anyone access to the garage. Good call @shannonC and smart thinking Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    Gecko said it best. It's a safety issue and is on many other vehicles as well. You don't want someone to be able to break your window, and be able to enter your home while you're away or asleep. It is specifically for this reason I have not programmed homelink on many family vehicles...they did NOT have this feature. One thing I'd love to see manufacturers add to their infotainment systems is the screen requiring a pin when you ask the GPS to "take you home." Don't want someone to be able to find the home of the vehicle if it gets stolen, valet'ed etc. Would be nice if they started to also replace start buttons with iphone style fingerprint readers.
    I just set my home address to be "near" my home. I can usually find my way from there

Sent from my SM-T800 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by scoobycarolanNC View Post
    Do you have push button start? If so just push the button twice with the key in the vehicle WITHOUT a foot on the brake. This is the equivalent to turning the key 2 clicks without turning the engine over.
    This is the correct answer

Fresh Catch

Still like it my way

I would still like to have it my way. I can set the DRLs to be on or off, have all the doors lock/unlock or just driver's door, change the information panel, arrange the icons, etc and if I choose to be able to open or close my garage door when I am within range with the key fob I really don't think someone is going to get in my garage with me standing that close. I would even like to see a digital "analog" speedometer and tachometer so I would see the same speed the computer is seeing. The analog speedometer is sometimes up to 4 MPH off. Just saying... BTW, is Jeep ever going to offer a maintenance manual or when did they stop. My last Jeep was a '02 TJ and I had one for it on CD. My '78 CJ7 had a set of manuals, too.
    Last edited by Boisedan; 11-07-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Been Around the Block BillArnett's Avatar
    You can configure the EVIC to display a digital speedo at the top. I donít think thereís a digital RPM option, though.
    2018 JLUR Granite, 3.6L auto, all the goodies; ARB "Quad" on-board air, Cooper STT Pro 37x13.5R17, Pro Comp Predator 17x8.5 wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" lift, King remote res shocks, aFe Rock Basher exhaust, LoD Destroyer Shorty front & rear bumpers, LoD Signature rock sliders, Warn Zeon 10-S, additional LED lights

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    If your needle speedometer is off from the digital, the dealer can recalibrate that for you under warranty. Some owners have had to have their clusters replaced.

Fresh Catch
    There is a pretty easy mod to the switched Homelink power. If you remove the trim piece above the drivers door, 4 Torx screws I think, there will be a yellow wire that feeds the Homelink via switched 12VDC, you cut that wire, reattach the visor side of that yellow wire to the red wire that supplies power to the vanity light on the visor, then insulate the other side of the yellow wire. The red wire is still not hot all the time, if times out about 30 or so minutes after the doors are shut, but as soon as you open the door the wire is hot again, no need to turn the ignition on to operate the garage door opener after that.
    2018 Rubicon Unlimited Sting-Gray
    2017 Challenger Destroyer Gray Scat Pack Shaker (for sale)
    2014 Tundra

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
    If your needle speedometer is off from the digital, the dealer can recalibrate that for you under warranty. Some owners have had to have their clusters replaced.
    Thanks for the info. Mine isn't always off and it varies by up to 4 MPH. I will bring it up to dealer.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Present 2018 JLUR Sting-Gray (2018 - life)
    Past 2002 TJ Sport (2001 - 2015)
    Past 1978 CJ7 Renegade (1977 - 1983)

Fresh Catch
    Great! Thank you for that. I installed a Homelink in a truck and it worked in a similar fashion, stayed on for 10 minutes after shutting off and on when a door was opened. I had wiring diagrams for the truck.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app
    Present 2018 JLUR Sting-Gray (2018 - life)
    Past 2002 TJ Sport (2001 - 2015)
    Past 1978 CJ7 Renegade (1977 - 1983)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGA View Post
    I just set my home address to be "near" my home. I can usually find my way from there

I set mine to my actual address. People can probably just open your glove box and look at your vehicle registration if they are that determined to get to your house.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast