Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HomeLink Garage Opener Odd Situation

Fresh Catch

HomeLink Garage Opener Odd Situation

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with the newly offered Homelink Garage opener in the drivers visor

Unlike any other car I have owned with Homelink, the JL requires the engine to be running or at least ignition turned on before the opener will work

That seems like a safety issue as you would logically open the garage before starting to avoid Carbon Monoxide

I realize starting and then rapidly opening minimizes any risk, but it does seem like an odd sequence to start the car first

Homelink says Jeeps decision

Jeep says no idea, contact Homelink

Any thoughts or should this be reported as a safety issue???

Wouldnít you open the garage as you walk out the door with the button on the wall? I wouldnít imagine there to be any concern getting in your vehicle, starting it, opening the door, and leaving.

I would assume this is more likely programmed this way so that it wonít work if you were to park outside so someone doesnít break into your home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresh Catch
    point well taken, but we load dogs into Jeep before opening - busy road

Thanks for the thoughts

Fair enough, guess I didnít think of that as itís how Iíve always done it. My truck works with no key to open the garage but my car requires ACC power at least to open. I always just assumed that was so it couldnít be used by someone breaking into the vehicle. On my truck I assume it only works for so much time between turning the vehicle off.

Quote Originally Posted by jajaxxon View Post
    point well taken, but we load dogs into Jeep before opening - busy road

Thanks for the thoughts
    Do you have push button start? If so just push the button twice with the key in the vehicle WITHOUT a foot on the brake. This is the equivalent to turning the key 2 clicks without turning the engine over.

Knows a Thing or Two
    Most FCA vehicles the homelink will work unless you have hit the key fob lock button. That activates the alarm and shuts off homelink so someone cannot break a window and get into your house. I haven't played much with the JL one so now i have to look. It may be different since doors come off which makes reaching in easier.

Sent via....

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by mac214 View Post
    Fair enough, guess I didnít think of that as itís how Iíve always done it. My truck works with no key to open the garage but my car requires ACC power at least to open. I always just assumed that was so it couldnít be used by someone breaking into the vehicle. On my truck I assume it only works for so much time between turning the vehicle off.

My thought is that they donít want it to work unless he key is on in case you have the top / doors off sitting in your driveway.

Sent from my iPad using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Fresh Catch

Selecting when Homelink is powered on

With all the things you can change on the JL, I would like to be able to change it to be powered on when the fob is within the distance to start it. Maybe Jeep will allow me make a small wiring change without voiding the warranty.

I think itís a good feature that homelink only works when ignition is on. If I have it in the driveway, I donít need someone getting in my Jeep and my garage or house.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
    Gecko said it best. It's a safety issue and is on many other vehicles as well. You don't want someone to be able to break your window, and be able to enter your home while you're away or asleep. It is specifically for this reason I have not programmed homelink on many family vehicles...they did NOT have this feature. One thing I'd love to see manufacturers add to their infotainment systems is the screen requiring a pin when you ask the GPS to "take you home." Don't want someone to be able to find the home of the vehicle if it gets stolen, valet'ed etc. Would be nice if they started to also replace start buttons with iphone style fingerprint readers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast