When deleting a spare, does it take more force to close the tailgate?

cornhohleo

Might sound a little dumb but first time deleting spare and I noticed I have to close it with more force? Is that usually the case? I’m assuming it’s because it doesn’t have the weight and momentum with the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

JeepJL

Yes it will take more force. You might have to remove the preload on the tailgate a bit to help out. Meaning loosen the hinges and adjust accordingly since there’s no more weight forcing down on it. I removed mine for a few weeks before I installed my evo carrier and had to do the same. I now run a spare.

cornhohleo

Yes it will take more force. You might have to remove the preload on the tailgate a bit to help out. Meaning loosen the hinges and adjust accordingly since there’s no more weight forcing down on it. I removed mine for a few weeks before I installed my evo carrier and had to do the same. I now run a spare.

Appreciate it I’ll have to check it out and try that

cornhohleo

I think he's saying how much it would suck to not have a spare and be in a situation where you need it.

Well I have a slightly smaller size tire on a different rim for now, so if I need a spare I have one, and I’m usually not far from the house, so I always have the option of taking one with me in the back if I need to.