2 Door JLR Pre-Purchase Motor Question

Zephyr206

I'm looking into a 2 door JLR, auto. I will spend quite a bit of time on the highway at 75+ mph, living in Texas... I have test drove both examples in 2 door JLR's, and I seem to be torn. The 2.0 example I test drove seemed to have a very touchy throttle response, almost on/off switch like. As well as it shifted through 6,7, & 8 at 65mph quite a bit (on overpasses and small hills, etc.). With that being said, the example I drove was a program car, and I'm curious on how much of the touchy throttle response comes from the adaptive learning of the previous/regular driver? (In my experience I could tell quite a difference with the adaptives in my previous Scatpack.) Secondly, the fans seem to be working hard compared to most cars I've been in, even compared to the 3.6 I drove. With the 2.0 not being intercooled, to my knowledge, I'm curious about heat soak in slow, technical crawling. As well as the lack of a linear throttle response, compared to the 3.6.

I can see how it sound like I dislike the 2.0. Although, I like the idea of the 2.0 on paper the most. The mid-range torque shove was confidence inspiring in highway traffic. The 2.0 has the best fuel efficiency most of us have seen from the factory as well.

The 3.6 I drove had a much more linear throttle response compared to the 2.0. Although it didn't have the torque shove of the 2.0. The lack of fuel efficiency left on the table is sort of a bummer with the 3.6, to me personally. The loss of 1 quart in oil capacity compared to the previous 3.6 isn't to appealing either.... Though the 3.6 being around since 2012 is somewhat comforting.

I see a Rubicon as a extremely capable off-road vehicle first, that, is still civil enough to use in as a daily driver... What is your opinion on the motor of choice?

Onlyone

I don’t know what to tell you other than the power difference. I got back from a 2800 mile trip and averaged 21.8 mpg on 37s. Never once did I lack any power with the turbo. It does feel somewhat like switched power but the little motor is a beast, and at my altitude I would never buy the 6.

I’ve owned both in my 18 JLUR on 37s and the 6 ran great. A huge upgrade over the JKs 6 speed. But I’m sorry, there’s no comparison between the two motors. Even in the low lands. Mine rarely ever shifts out of 8th on the highway, let alone 7th. I won’t ever need a re-gear. As far as longevity, who knows and that big battery
down there with all the coolant lines etc. I try not to think about it. It does seem the fans run a lot more than they did on my V6. Not sure why. But it is inter-cooled so heat soak won’t really be an issue. It’s a tough decision for some. Not me, I procrastinated long enough waiting for the right one. Every one of my vehicles have turbos so I’m biased. :thinking:

Zephyr206

I don’t know what to tell you other than the power difference. I got back from a 2800 mile trip and averaged 21.8 mpg on 37s. Never once did I lack any power with the turbo. It does feel somewhat like switched power but the little motor is a beast, and at my altitude I would never buy the 6.

I’ve owned both in my 18 JLUR on 37s and the 6 ran great. A huge upgrade over the JKs 6 speed. But I’m sorry, there’s no comparison between the two motors. Even in the low lands. Mine rarely ever shifts out of 8th on the highway, let alone 7th. I won’t ever need a re-gear. As far as longevity, who knows and that big battery
down there with all the coolant lines etc. I try not to think about it. It does seem the fans run a lot more than they did on my V6. Not sure why. But it is inter-cooled so heat soak won’t really be an issue. It’s a tough decision for some. Not me, I procrastinated long enough waiting for the right one. Every one of my vehicles have turbos so I’m biased. :thinking:

I'm curious if somehow you could make the throttle response more linear with something like a pedal modulator, or the more obvious pcm/ecm/ecu tune? I suspect that FCA may have tuned the hybrid system with a less linear response, to have a less abrupt transition in power once the turbo come up boost? Which in the example if drove seemed fairly evident...

Something else I haven't discovered is 2.0 being direct injection. Does it have sequential injection as well? I have seen lots of example from "normal drivers" that have carbon build up issues in the intake manifold and valves. Seems like the modern mechanical fix to that is dual injection (sequential and direct), or the more prevalent intake manifold cleaning.

2Wheel-Lee

I'm going through the same debate. Even more so since the 2020 Rubicon dropped the e-torque on the 2.0, so now the 2.0 is actually a contender...if not my key interest. I like the increased torque of the 2.0 (on dyno), but the 3.6 has a much flatter torque curve.

The carbon build-up common in some direct-injection engines isn't a problem across the board. Not all manufacturers are having this problem. I think Hyundai and Kia were the worst from my research a few years ago. Honda/Acura has had direct injection for a number of years now, and I'm not aware of any problems with their engines caused by direct injection.

Onlyone

I'm curious if somehow you could make the throttle response more linear with something like a pedal modulator, or the more obvious pcm/ecm/ecu tune? I suspect that FCA may have tuned the hybrid system with a less linear response, to have a less abrupt transition in power once the turbo come up boost? Which in the example if drove seemed fairly evident...

Something else I haven't discovered is 2.0 being direct injection. Does it have sequential injection as well? I have seen lots of example from "normal drivers" that have carbon build up issues in the intake manifold and valves. Seems like the modern mechanical fix to that is dual injection (sequential and direct), or the more prevalent intake manifold cleaning.

I imagine it could be done but the more you drive it, the more you get used to it. The power is so crazy it catches you off guard. I have since become used to it and learn how to modulate it. I know, what a problem to have, too much power. Lol I actually think it might be a bit different for a 4 door:idontknow: maybe more weight? Anyway, I really love this little engine so far. I hope it’s as dependable as it is fun to drive.

Not sure carbon buildup will be a problem. I have an 3.5 Ecoboost Lincoln that dropped an injector at 81k miles and they replaced the motor and the valves were clean when they removed the heads (still got a new long block) but the best thing you can do is use the correct oil for turbo cars. Too soon to tell but I wouldn’t go back after having this power. The V6 has a flatter torque curve and is probably in the long run a more dependable engine, but this turbo will still run circles around it.