JL JOURNAL : BOMBS AWAY - EVO Bomber Rocker Guards w/ Skins INSTALLATION

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While there was once a time when Cindy and I were a big fan of body mounted rock sliders or rocker guards, that was a very long time ago and well before there was a JK Wrangler or now, a JL Wrangler. In fact, the last time we ran a set was back when we still had our old TJ Wrangler and mainly because it was in fact, a superior way to go. The sheet metal on the TJ body was thick and strong and installing protection on the body as opposed to the frame would help provide the most ground clearance you could get along the sides of your Jeep. Now, what changed all that was Jeep's need to make a lighter weight Wrangler and when the JK was introduced in 2007, they helped make that possible by making its body panels with much thinner steel. Over the years, what we've seen is that body mounted rock sliders actually caused damage to the body after taking on a hard hit and in some cases, to the point where opening doors became difficult if not impossible. Of course, the JL Wrangler has body panels that are just as thin if not thinner and clearly, that hasn't help anything. But, for all the benefits you can get from body mounted rocker guards, we found ourselves tempted to give it another go and did so with a set of EVO Bomber Rocker Guards.

In addition to looking really sharp, what we liked about the EVO Bomber Rocker Guards was the fact that you can get them with optional armored skins that allow you to tie the two together. By doing this, the load from a hard hit can be distributed across the entire rocker guard and body. And, if ever in the future we decided that they just weren't for us, they can easily be replaced with frame mounted rocker guards and new skins that bolt up right up to the body and in the exact same way. With all that said, this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you what it takes to get set of EVO Bomber Rocker Guards installed on a Jeep JL Wrangler and we hope you find it to be useful.

What to Buy
EVO MFG Bomber Rockers w/ ROCKSKINS : https://amzn.to/2OhfM8w
Astro 1442 Nutsert Tool : https://amzn.to/2I1S5AE
Milwaukee 2763-20 M18 Fuel 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench : https://amzn.to/2WU3QfN

What You Will Need
• 1/2, 9/16" Wrench & Socket
• 18, 19mm Socket
• 3/16" Allen Wrench
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Torque Wrench
• Floor Jack
• Hand Drill
• Center Punch
• Step Bit Drill Bit
• Safety Glasses
• Nutsert Tool
• Pry Bar
• Hammer
• Painters Tape
• Touch-Up Paint
• Red Loctite

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
The EVO Bomber Rockers and Rockskins really compliment the lines of the JL. Excellent install video. You have been releasing a lot of content lately, which is much appreciated. Also, I love your wall mounted thread gauge. My local Ace Hardware is going to have to watch their backs. Lol.

MrGiant

Thanks eddie, this will help me a lot, since I plan on installing those without skins. I hope I have time to watch it very soon

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

GrayBeard

Those are impressive looking. Install looks fairly easy, just very time consuming. Had to laugh when "washers are needed" popped up. I must ask, how many curse words were said when you realized they were needed, hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

frenchjk

Another great video, amazing rocker guards and skins :eek: but i liked the LOD's for the fact that they are connected to the frame and imho they should be better at saving the rockers...:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking sliders.

Yeah, I have to say they do look real nice :)

Looks really good

Those look great and a really awesome install video.

Including washers

:cheesy: Yeah yeah, me and my bonehead mistake :crazyeyes:

The EVO Bomber Rockers and Rockskins really compliment the lines of the JL. Excellent install video. You have been releasing a lot of content lately, which is much appreciated. Also, I love your wall mounted thread gauge. My local Ace Hardware is going to have to watch their backs. Lol.

I won't lie, it's been tough but we've been doing a lot and don't want it to be all old news. Better to get stuff out as soon as we can even if it kills us :crazyeyes:

Great video as always. Thanks for putting it together and posting for us to watch!

Glad you enjoyed it :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks eddie, this will help me a lot, since I plan on installing those without skins. I hope I have time to watch it very soon

Mr.Giant - '92 YJ
Giant 2 - '18 JLUR

It'll be a much easier install without the skins.

Those are impressive looking. Install looks fairly easy, just very time consuming. Had to laugh when "washers are needed" popped up. I must ask, how many curse words were said when you realized they were needed, hahahaha

Sent from my SM-G975U using JL Wrangler Jeep Forum mobile app

LOL - a LOT were used :crazyeyes:

tonygiotta

I know you've been spending a lot more time focusing on the JT these days, but any report on long term satisfaction with these rocker guards? Especially how they have held up to abuse on the trails? I know going to a body mount type rocker guard was a bit of a departure from your typical frame mounted preference. Have they proven durable when tied into the skins? I'm interested in the EVO rocker steps w/ skins, but looking for some assurance before pulling the trigger.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you've been spending a lot more time focusing on the JT these days, but any report on long term satisfaction with these rocker guards? Especially how they have held up to abuse on the trails? I know going to a body mount type rocker guard was a bit of a departure from your typical frame mounted preference. Have they proven durable when tied into the skins? I'm interested in the EVO rocker steps w/ skins, but looking for some assurance before pulling the trigger.

So, they have held up surprisingly well. I've had a lot of people express concerns about the bolt heads under the rocker guards but I'm happy to say that NONE have gotten mashed up the way everyone imagined. Fact of the matter is, they are well protected by the FRAME RAIL. The rocker guards themselves have proven to be quite tough but I have been able to dent them in a bit in a few places. Granted, I've been able to dent the hell out of EVERY rocker guard I've tested over the last 20+ years, frame mounted or otherwise. I will say that up front, the rocker guard had caused the ultra thin fender body panel to warp a bit but I was able to fix that simply by loosening up the body panel bolts and pushing it back flat. Even though I would have preferred frame mounted rocker guards, I am overall happy with them.