Metalcloak lift - Game Changer??

JTCO

Meme King
This is what we made and I ran on my jk back when I carried a spare (ya I'm one of THOSE people). Also not intended to derail :)

Sent via....

Nice work. That looks simple and functional. I'm working on one as well and have a gusset similar to that.

sharkey

Word Ninja
Will it have to be removed to open the gate? I've seen them made both ways and I'm curious what direction you are going.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Will it have to be removed to open the gate? I've seen them made both ways and I'm curious what direction you are going.

The only way to make it so that you can still open your tailgate is to have it sit low enough that your spare and tailgate clear it. I'm looking to make this have maximum departure angle so that I don't get jammed in the way I did in Moab. Needless to say, you will have to remove this stinger to open up the tailgate. Of course, I typically just carry my stinger in the back and run it as needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The white, black and red JK beginning at 5:27... Ouch.

What's really funny is that I've literally had people trolling me on YouTube just because I was carrying a 37" spare. While NONE of them have actually seen how tailgates get jacked up in person, they were all telling me about a photo they'd "seen" on Facebook and how I was stupid for even attempting to do this. You know, because I'm clearly new to all this Jeep stuff and don't have a clue about anything. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was going to make one, but seeing how fast I move, that could be 2025 [emoji51].... so sure, I’ll support the forum.. bare or black is fine... either way. Design/bends are same for the JK right?

Yup, that'd be the idea and I'm making them adjustable so that it'd work with different applications.

NFRs2000NYC

I understand why you would want one if your spare is tailgate mounted. I am curious if LoD, RockHard 4x4, Evo Mfg, etc designed their frame mounted carriers specifically to withstand this situation, making the stinger redundant.

IMHO, no chance. You will at minimum rip off the studs on the carrier, and if somehow your studs could survive, you’ll roll the tire off the wheel, however I’m pretty sure you’ll leverage the tire enough with the full power of the engine to not only rip it off but put it through your back window. Now, you’ll have to catch it pretty well, but watching eddies recent moab video, I think a few of those situations would have caused some good damage.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMHO, no chance. You will at minimum rip off the studs on the carrier, and if somehow your studs could survive, you’ll roll the tire off the wheel, however I’m pretty sure you’ll leverage the tire enough with the full power of the engine to not only rip it off but put it through your back window. Now, you’ll have to catch it pretty well, but watching eddies recent moab video, I think a few of those situations would have caused some good damage.

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, I'd have to disagree. Over the last 20 years, I have seen TONS of spare tires attached to frame mounted bumper/tire carriers take severe hits on ledges and being dragged along on climbs and without experiencing ANY of the issues you've just described. The only damage I've seen happen and a LOT I might add, is to tailgates and rear glass windows on tailgate mounted spares.

NFRs2000NYC

Interesting. The last time I was I moab I saw a jk drop off a ledge pretty harshly, and he ripped his tire off his bumper carrier. Now, the carrier broke at the steel, not at the studs, and honestly I have no idea if it was a POS eBay bumper/carrier, but it did rip right off. Now of course, this is just a single anecdotal example, and IMHO, while a stinger may not be nearly as necessary on a bumper carrier mounted spare, I still think it’s great insurance.

Side note, as someone that runs an expedition one carrier and bumper setup, which is a very stout setup, I remember in your previous moab video the guy was running the same setup, the the twin 4 gallon rotopax units, and clipped them on a ledge, smashing in his rear window. If I remember correctly, I remember thinking to myself “if only this guy had a hitch slider he could have saved himself a massive headache.” So sometimes, it may not even be the tire that needs saving.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. The last time I was I moab I saw a jk drop off a ledge pretty harshly, and he ripped his tire off his bumper carrier. Now, the carrier broke at the steel, not at the studs, and honestly I have no idea if it was a POS eBay bumper/carrier, but it did rip right off. Now of course, this is just a single anecdotal example, and IMHO, while a stinger may not be nearly as necessary on a bumper carrier mounted spare, I still think it’s great insurance.

I have seen tire carriers break at spindle, at the welds and even at the metal but most have either been inferior bumpers OR were caused by speed more than catching on any ledge. For instance, the guy driving this Jeep had a MetalCloak Game Changer lift with 6-pak shocks and was trying to keep up with us in some pretty big whoops. His spare couldn't handle the abuse and tore off the tire carrier. Granted, the welds weren't that great.

ps-01.jpg

Side note, as someone that runs an expedition one carrier and bumper setup, which is a very stout setup, I remember in your previous moab video the guy was running the same setup, the the twin 4 gallon rotopax units, and clipped them on a ledge, smashing in his rear window. If I remember correctly, I remember thinking to myself “if only this guy had a hitch slider he could have saved himself a massive headache.” So sometimes, it may not even be the tire that needs saving.

Not exactly. If you fast forward to 11:16 on this video, you'll see the clip in question. His Rotopax which was mounted on the passenger side of his Jeep caught the ground just right and smashed his rear window.

With all that said, I'm with you 100% that it'd still be great to have and carry as it is great insurance. It's why I still have mine :yup:

JAGS

I’m interested. I’m fine with bare steel.

The version Mel had in the 4 video looked intriguing.